SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite inshore spots here

LMC Marine

Old 09-08-2015, 09:47 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,734
Default Just one day

Sat 9-5

My son and I came down sat around 8a and missed the crowds at the ramps. Headed south to a few spots trying to work the falling tide but we were not having much luck. Bounced around a few more spots and got caught in a down pour back in a channel so we just waited it out. We could see 5 other boats that were in long point lake just getting SOAKED, My son and I were holed up under the T-tops staying pretty dry

Finally had enough of the blanks and headed to a few other spots up north I know are good for a few hits. Got back into the cuts and right away the Reds started hitting. My son caught the first 2 before I could even get my line in the water, but they were just 17" and tossed em back. My first line in was a good hit and he shot straight for the boat and handed me my hook back I KNEW that was going to happen, but there wasn't much I could do, I couldn't reel fast enough to get the slack out. Reset and said "lets see if there are any more" sure enough hook up again! this time he was boated at 22" perfect keeper in my book. We did this the rest of the day. and ended up with 8 reds. I got my limit and my son got 3, he should have limited but a few got off, and we don't normally keep em under 20".

At one point we rolled up to a flats pond just off the back channel and you could see 15-20 of them swirling around, So I tell me son to hurry up to the front of the boat, so he comes running, off the back deck BAM BAM BAM BAM all they way up tot he front deck "WOW HOLY CRAP THATS ALOT OF FISH!!" he yells......... and off the fish went This was a perfect example of why Im always telling him to be quiet, he finally got it when they all scattered and we didn't even get a line tossed.......

I have always known Reds love crabs, but Here, at big lake, just have never fished with them as bait. Havent really seen or heard of them being used except fishing for bulls out at the jetties. In cleaning the fish I went through their stomach to see what they have been eating, low and behold CRABS!! no shrimp, no fish, all crabs.

That go me to wondering, does anyone make a crab bait? In my research I have found the Gulp has peeler crabs in 1" 2" and 4". I have ordered a dozen 4" blue crabs.

I was wondering if anyone has ever used these crabs ? Im planning on using them on some flats areas on a Carolina rig with about a 3-4 ft leader to a circle hook and crab, least amount of weight at the crab so it falls naturally.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by marty f; 09-08-2015 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:11 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

I don't see why te crabs wouldn't work, but whatever y'all were throwing already seems to be working pretty good. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2015, 10:16 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 View Post
I don't see why te crabs wouldn't work, but whatever y'all were throwing already seems to be working pretty good. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just Shrimp under a cork. I try to keep it simple with my son (13) but I now want to introduce him to artificial, as well broaden my arsenal. Some of the shallows I want to hit I think fishing the bottom would do better.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:49 AM
Ling

Cash: 505

Keep them 17" reds.... Smaller the better they taste. Good trip tho.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:27 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,087

I have a friend that fishes in the Rudy's Elite redfish series said they use squarebill crank baits to mimic crabs the way the swim in water is just like a crab wobbling along
Old 09-08-2015, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,490

You need to try to catch them on a fly rod. They make excellent crab looking flies also. Talk about fun!
Old 09-09-2015, 06:29 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

My brother is a big gulp fan and has tried the crabs. They are kinda awkward to put on a hook and don't have much action. Although I have never seen the 4" crabs. The most productive artificial baits I have found are 3" swim baits. H&H makes some they call The Usual Suspects and they have worked well for me. You don't have to pop or jig them at all. Just throw them out and real them in just fast enough to keep them off the bottom. If you like to throw a cork, I have found baby bull minnow's rigged on a gig head work well, better if tipped with a shrimp. If they are feeding on crabs I will throw a colorado bladed spinner bait. The spinner gives off the same vibration as a crabs legs which attracts them and once they see it they usually don't pass up a meal. I have always heard that reds primary feed on crabs, I assume its because they are abundant and easy prey, but I don't think they are that picky. I have caught them on trot lines baited chicken livers.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:26 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

manns minus crank baits are great for shallow water
Old 09-09-2015, 07:55 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marque View Post
My brother is a big gulp fan and has tried the crabs. They are kinda awkward to put on a hook and don't have much action. Although I have never seen the 4" crabs.
I agree I have seen the smaller 1" peeler crabs Gulp makes, and wasn't impressed. Now the 4" ones (hard to find) seem to might work better. They appear to have a section made to accept a jig head. One I get them Ill take a few pictures and post them. What Im planning on doing is using a double hook or a frog hook rigged sideways so I can pull it along the bottom.

I have also ordered some storm blue crabs, we will see