SaltyCajun.com http://cajunrodandreelrepair.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes)

The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes) What good is a cajun site without a cooking and recipe forum?

Old 04-28-2016, 11:27 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,633
Default Cooking Lessons

i bought some tuna filets and just about ruined them, i pan grilled them in olive oil, they were not bad enough to where i couldn't eat them but they were not good, i want to try again but don't want to do the same, next time i will fire up the grill, i need some recipes for the stove and the bar b que so i don't F up so bad again
Old 04-28-2016, 11:43 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

How long did you cook them? Season them up. Butter and olive oil on med/high heat. Into the pan and a quick sear on both sides then remove to rest. You don't want more than a 1/2" ring of cooked fish (white) all the way around. That's my way. I'm sure others are better than me.
Saute needs to chime in on this one.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:07 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,245

Tuna is all about keeping it rare. I cook a 1" thick steak about 45 seconds on each side on medium high heat. If I cook it on the grill i cook it on foil. All you want to do is sear it. For seasoning I either use salt and pepper or i melt some butter and blend with garlic, lime juice, salt, and pepper and inject the steak and pour the extra on top when I'm searing the tuna.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:34 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by latravcha View Post
Tuna is all about keeping it rare. I cook a 1" thick steak about 45 seconds on each side on medium high heat. If I cook it on the grill i cook it on foil. All you want to do is sear it. For seasoning I either use salt and pepper or i melt some butter and blend with garlic, lime juice, salt, and pepper and inject the steak and pour the extra on top when I'm searing the tuna.
Will have to try the lime juice. Good acid kick. I like fresh cut rosemary on baked ore grilled fish. If you don't want the rosemary on the fish you can saute a fresh sprig in the butter/olive oil to draw out the oils then discard the rosemary sprig.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:10 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfighter View Post
i bought some tuna filets and just about ruined them, i pan grilled them in olive oil, they were not bad enough to where i couldn't eat them but they were not good, i want to try again but don't want to do the same, next time i will fire up the grill, i need some recipes for the stove and the bar b que so i don't F up so bad again

You shouldn't have cooked it. Slice it thin and eat it with some Ponzu sauce or make a ceviche with it.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:34 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
How long did you cook them? Season them up. Butter and olive oil on med/high heat. Into the pan and a quick sear on both sides then remove to rest. You don't want more than a 1/2" ring of cooked fish (white) all the way around. That's my way. I'm sure others are better than me.
i cooked them a little longer than probably should have cause they were kind of thick maybe 1-1/2" thick i had about 1/2" in the middle still pink, i just need to get the flavoring right

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
You shouldn't have cooked it. Slice it thin and eat it with some Ponzu sauce or make a ceviche with it.
i would try that if it was fresh but i don't know how fresh they were, i bought them from a local butcher store, they were frozen when i got them

thanks for you guys input i will try again soon
Old 04-28-2016, 04:41 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

I would keep it simple 1st, lightly rub filet with olive oil. Season with Canadian Chicken Seasoning, heat non stick pan, melt some butter and cook each side prob less than 1 minute.

You want the center to be COLD, Tuna turns to garbage when it's over cooked. Tuna is best cooked rare, Medium Rare is ok but not great, and Medium is garbage.

If you don't have a little blood on the plate right after cooking then you prob "burned" the blood which creates the nasty taste. (This is true for other fishes as well)

I learned everything above from a very successful Lebanese chef and restaurant owner in LC.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:11 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
X1,000!!!! Eat it raw dipped in ponzu sauce! Can't be beat
Old 04-28-2016, 06:31 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,245

If you over cook it it will make the best tuna salad you have ever eaten.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:36 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,810

Quote:
Originally Posted by latravcha View Post
If you over cook it it will make the best tuna salad you have ever eaten.
X 2..... I love tuna salad.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:08 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

I cook them right over the briqutte starter thing.......I don't poor the charcoals out......just put a well oiled grill over the hot as hell charcoal and grill it just a few second on each side.......

then, we top them with a white wine whistershire, butter and minced garlic and then fresh cut green onions
Old 04-28-2016, 07:15 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeddler View Post
I cook them right over the briqutte starter thing.......I don't poor the charcoals out......just put a well oiled grill over the hot as hell charcoal and grill it just a few second on each side.......

then, we top them with a white wine whistershire, butter and minced garlic and then fresh cut green onions
Now that sounds like a good grilling idea, I heard beef Steaks are good that way as well. Need to try it out.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:19 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Stealth View Post
Now that sounds like a good grilling idea, I heard beef Steaks are good that way as well. Need to try it out.
Yep........it works........
Old 04-28-2016, 08:55 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeddler View Post

White wine, worcestershire (yes I looked at the bottle), butter, garlic and green onions. The stuff sweet dreams are made of
Old 04-28-2016, 10:17 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,364

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
Like everyone is saying less is more. Let the tuna shine through. I like to mix a little bit of sweet chili sauce, a splash of teriyaki sauce, a good amount of ponzu, a juiced lemon, a shot of rice wine vinegar and a handful of chopped pickled ginger. I coat the tuna with fresh cracked pepper and fresh ground sea salt spray both sides with olive oil spray. I get a cast iron pot smoking white hot and sear a 1 inch tuna about 30 seconds a side. I remove from the pan and let the fish rest for 5 minutes before eating. I cook salmon the same way but I slice the salmon scallopini style. (thin 1/2 inch bias cut) Salmon is best cooked medium rare also if its fresh.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:21 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,364

Quote:
Originally Posted by saute86 View Post
Like everyone is saying less is more. Let the tuna shine through. I like to mix a little bit of sweet chili sauce, a splash of teriyaki sauce, a good amount of ponzu, a juiced lemon, a shot of rice wine vinegar and a handful of chopped pickled ginger. I coat the tuna with fresh cracked pepper and fresh ground sea salt spray both sides with olive oil spray. I get a cast iron pot smoking white hot and sear a 1 inch tuna about 30 seconds a side. I remove from the pan and let the fish rest for 5 minutes before eating. I cook salmon the same way but I slice the salmon scallopini style. (thin 1/2 inch bias cut) Salmon is best cooked medium rare also if its fresh.
I forgot to say the sauce is served at room temp over fish. Just treat it like a vinaigrette. It is great served over a bed of mescline baby lettuce mix.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:12 AM
King Mackeral

Default mm mmm

thanks guys looks like i will have to try it again several different ways