SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes)

The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes) What good is a cajun site without a cooking and recipe forum?

Old 05-13-2016, 05:08 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,335
Default Making a Medium Sized Jambalaya

Tomorrow is my Knights council's annual car show and this year I'm making the jambalaya. Just finished prepping and have the last of twenty five pounds of chicken thighs smoking on the Traeger. The first batch was about thirteen pounds of boneless skinless with a lil seasoning for layering of flavors. Sliced up eighteen pounds of hot and smoked sausages, diced 3.5 lbs of spicy tasso and pre-measured mixed up the seasonings and rice weighed out. I got the onions diced up already and I used the food processor to chop up the garlic. I'm almost ready to go! I'll be getting started with the cooking probably between 3:30-4:00 pm tomorrow afternoon.

A little liquid refreshment is always recommended!

Spicy Louisiana Tasso

I'll get some pictures of the cook tomorrow. Oh, this should make about 13 or fourteen gallons of jambalaya.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:53 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

And I thought my 6 gallon batches of Jambalaya were big?

I do this to put some in the freezer so all I have to do is thaw it out and put the rice in to cook.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jambalaya.JPG (132.3 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg Jambalaya containers.JPG (115.2 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0101.jpg (76.0 KB, 178 views)
Old 05-15-2016, 11:24 AM
Tripletail

Alright, so the car show was yesterday and it was a long day. I hate it when I have a system set and some show up to help meaning well but really end up getting in the way. Lol...... I got things started with browning the beef for the jambalaya but not before almost starting with the sausage so the picture below has a little sausage mixed in there. Then the 18 lbs of hot and smoked sausage was browned and removed. (sorry but I had a lot going on and was only able to get a few pictures) Sausage cooked and removed it was time to do the onions and garlic added toward the end of that. When onion were cooked in went the tasso and my spices. After that was mixed in well the chicken was added and sausage added back in allong with chicken stock and brought to a boil then the rice added. After returning to a boil again the fire was reduced to low, lid placed on to simmer until done.

Beef cooking.

Onions cooked down with the tasso and spices added.

Chicken and sausage added and waiting to return to a boil.

Completed jambalaya!

This was for me one of the best I've ever made with lots of meats and flavor but it was a tad spicier than I intended it to be for others but then again I got tons of compliments from people saying how it was THE best jambalaya they had ever eaten. I couldn't help but still feel it would have been better for them had it not been as spicy but then again I think it might have helped the beer sales. Lol.........

Old 05-16-2016, 06:05 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Nice color and separation on the rice.

What cut of beef did you use, I have never heard of anyone putting beef in a jambalaya but IHEI.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:02 AM
Tripletail

This was about 3.5 lbs of nice lean looking stew meat from Sam's but it could be any cut of beef as long as it's cut into small bite sizes. It can be something cheap. This adds a richer heartiness and helps with the brown color. I picked up this idea from a friend of mine.