SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion

Freshwater Fishing Discussion For discussion of everything freshwater!

Old 01-06-2012, 07:37 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948
Default Tips on the Calcasieu?

Ok so I'm lookin to get on some bass. Haven't been bass fishin in years because me and my pawpaw's favorite spot, hypolyte coulee, doesn't have any bass in it anymore, at least we haven't caught anything but reds. We used to fish lacassine, but the conditions there, well everyone knows that story. Anyway, I've been wanting to get on the calcasieu, just never really known anything about fishin it. I'm just lookin for some tips, no specific locations or anything, I've just never fished the river before.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,346

small texas rigged stuff like finesse worms, baby brush hogs, speed craws will catch bass most of the time. other baits like jigs, unweighted stick baits(senko), spinnerbaits and jerkbaits catch their fair share of fish too. just keep it small because those fish are smart and highly pressured.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:47 PM
King Mackeral

Cool, thanks jedi. Bait was really my biggest issue cause the only stuff pawpaw ever rigged me with when I was a kid was beetle spins, so as far as bass go that's all I know. But we sure tore em up on those little fellas!!

Old 01-06-2012, 10:29 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Cool, thanks jedi. Bait was really my biggest issue cause the only stuff pawpaw ever rigged me with when I was a kid was beetle spins, so as far as bass go that's all I know. But we sure tore em up on those little fellas!!

no prob, hey those beetle spins catch fish here too! chunk it in some moving water like a cut or drain pipe and they'll eat it! swing by the tackle box in sulphur when you have time and ask for O'B. i'll show ya a few of my fav rigs for the river. we'll get ya hooked up
Old 01-07-2012, 05:36 AM
King Mackeral

Oh yeah, will do man. Next time I'm in sulphur for work or somethin, ill be sure to stop by.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:49 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Buddy of mine catches a lot of bass on beetle spin with curly tail grub and I was told that they been doin good with a small crankbait on river also
Old 01-07-2012, 07:48 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,054

I am not a big "crank-baiter", but a couple of weeks ago you could do no wrong throwing one...

Good luck and post your reports

Hydro
Old 01-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro View Post
I am not a big "crank-baiter", but a couple of weeks ago you could do no wrong throwing one...

Good luck and post your reports

Hydro
X2!! It will take you a year fishing on a regular basis to figure these fish out. There are time when the norh area is good and during the dog days o summer when the West Fork and south end is good. Follow the bait and match it closely. I have learned to love fising on our river. It offers alot of challenge day to day. I have been able to use ideas and techniques I used on the Bend on the river. I really like the Bass Kandi line of baits. Not only to support a local guy making bits but he has managed to produce a very good varity, tough, and affordable line. YOU CAN FIND THEM AT THE BEST TACKLE SHOP AROUND FOR MILES. JUST GO BY THE TACKLE SHOP IN SULPHUR. I love this place!! But my wife doesn't. I love all the way in Lacassine and willing drive past Academy, Walmart, and LCT to go there and not blink. Let us know how you do!!!
Old 01-07-2012, 09:12 AM
Sailfish

someone is lookin for a discount^^^^^
Old 01-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Going to take you a lil while to find the fish.. but you'll eventually find them. Goodluck.

P.s. they are schooled up right now if you can find moving water.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RODBENDER View Post
X2!! It will take you a year fishing on a regular basis to figure these fish out. There are time when the norh area is good and during the dog days o summer when the West Fork and south end is good. Follow the bait and match it closely. I have learned to love fising on our river. It offers alot of challenge day to day. I have been able to use ideas and techniques I used on the Bend on the river. I really like the Bass Kandi line of baits. Not only to support a local guy making bits but he has managed to produce a very good varity, tough, and affordable line. YOU CAN FIND THEM AT THE BEST TACKLE SHOP AROUND FOR MILES. JUST GO BY THE TACKLE SHOP IN SULPHUR. I love this place!! But my wife doesn't. I love all the way in Lacassine and willing drive past Academy, Walmart, and LCT to go there and not blink. Let us know how you do!!!
thank you very much for the kind words! we try hard to please our clients, glad it's appreciated! BTW, Bass Kandi 6" & 7" Kandi Sticks are on sale for $1.50 a bag! still lots of good colors in stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
someone is lookin for a discount^^^^^
He keeps talkin about us like that and he'll get one!!
Old 01-09-2012, 09:02 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 985
Churn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Lure Tricks View Post
thank you very much for the kind words! we try hard to please our clients, glad it's appreciated! BTW, Bass Kandi 6" & 7" Kandi Sticks are on sale for $1.50 a bag! still lots of good colors in stock.

He keeps talkin about us like that and he'll get one!!
Like that price! I got a fifty dollar bill for Christmas and know where it is goin now!! I wasn't looking for any discount! I loike the place for a number of reason. Academy products are crap and the hassle the returns or exchanges and the people don't know crap, LCT well it is simply to damn expensive and Wal mart has no decent varity.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:13 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RODBENDER View Post
Like that price! I got a fifty dollar bill for Christmas and know where it is goin now!! I wasn't looking for any discount! I loike the place for a number of reason. Academy products are crap and the hassle the returns or exchanges and the people don't know crap, LCT well it is simply to damn expensive and Wal mart has no decent varity.
Tackle Box is definitely the way to go for fishiing gear, I will be buying some rod and reels there and some of them new baits they got in and on top of all the gear Jedi has some good info and keeps up with what the fish are biting on..... can't beat buying gear from someone that uses and knows the same gear you are spending your hard earned money on.....
Old 01-09-2012, 04:59 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,505

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
Tackle Box is definitely the way to go for fishiing gear, I will be buying some rod and reels there and some of them new baits they got in and on top of all the gear Jedi has some good info and keeps up with what the fish are biting on..... can't beat buying gear from someone that uses and knows the same gear you are spending your hard earned money on.....
You ain't getting no discount either. Even though you actually said something that was true and made sense. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2012, 05:20 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Attention all of my Calcasieu try hards... Tournament January 28th parkside marina, $40 a boat.
Time to put up and shut up!