SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 04-11-2016, 11:13 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,686
Default Doubled up turkey hunt

Planned on bringing my dad this year on a public land hunt I make every year. Work had him on call so he couldn't make it. Had a good buddy that likes to hunt with me but hasn't been in last few years. We have gotten close a few times but he had never been able to get his first bird. We went scout an area for him and found some sign. Went check out my area and before we got to my area we walked up on 3 strutters on a logging road. Wish I could have taken a pic of his face. He was super excited and when I asked if he wanted to hunt with me he jumped at it.

I showed up to meet him 15 min early and he was already waiting for me. Got at my usual spot very early,quiet and without a light but bumped one out of the tree. Which is weird because they normally roost 100 to 150 yards away. Daylight came and they were roosted on top of us. Bumped them in every direction. Not good but could have been worse...

Heard a faint gobble towards the truck and near where I saw the strutters the day before. Went to a logging loading zone and setup. Nothing. Decided to move to other side of clearing and put sun to my back and get in a good tree top. Cut some privet and made a nice blind. Two hens and an avian jake decoy in front. Called and a few minutes later hear a faint gobble from my right shoulder. 5 minutes later hear another gobble and still far but closer. Cut on slate and few yelps from mouth call. 5 min later tell my buddy put his gun on the jake decoy because two where about to pass in front of my barrel. Moved barrel with them to the decoy and then fun began trying to call shot on two birds destroying my jake decoy. Finally called the shot and ended with two 2 year olds on the ground.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:47 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,213

Awesome hunt and beautiful birds man!! Congrats to you and your buddy!!