SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > Kayak and Canoe Forum

Kayak and Canoe Forum Discuss non-motorized watersport activities here, including kayaking, canoeing, etc.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:53 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,084
Default perception scout (destiny) (mad river synergy)

Been researching the perception scput from academy. Its 2" wider than the pescador which is why im interested. Not to mention its a tad cheaper. It seems to be the same as the perception destiny 12 but when sold at academy its called a scout for some reason. Also same as a mad river synergy from my understanding. Only downfall from a review is you sit lower in it and no scupper plugs. Just looking for some feedback on it.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:13 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,607

You can buy scupper plugs...I think at academy. I have a friend who just got a pescador and he bought scupper plugs.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,084

I mean no scupper holes. Its basically like a canoe you sit lower than normal. Which I kinda like. My plan is to sit low when paddling then make a seat mount like a pro angler to sit high while fishing.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:51 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 502

A little late in chiming in here, but I love my Perception Sport Scout 12.0.

My main reason for getting it was that I'm a bigger guy (6'3", 235lb), and it seemed from all the reviews any SOT kayak that was less than 14' long would be a rather wet ride for me because of the scuppers. Price was also an issue. I would've loved to buy a Wilderness Systems Commander or a Native Ultimate, but they're literally 2-3x the price of the Scout 12.0.

I've rigged it pretty nicely for fishing, and even splurged a bit $ wise and installed a rudder. I installed two Scotty mounts on the center console (for a rod holder and a camera), two Scotty Rocket Launchers behind me (using the one stock gimbal rod holder and then installing another on the other side), an anchor trolley, two paddle/stakeout pole holders, and a few more padeyes. Keep in mind that most of the accessories/features that are missing from the cheaper Scout 12.0 version compared to the Destiny 12 or the Mad River Synergy 12, you can buy at HarmonyGear.com, which is owned by the same parent company that owns Wilderness Systems, Perception, Mad River, etc. So if you're looking for matching pad eyes, hooks, handles with built-in paddle holder bungees, etc., you can get them all and turn your cheap Academy version into an $900 kayak by just spending about $50. If you PM me, I can give you a link to pics of everything on another forum. I don't want my first (and currently only) post here to link people to another off-site forum.

I use it on the NE Florida intercoastal waterway, a local saltwater lake, and other inshore locations. Even in significant chop, or larger boat traffic wakes, I seldom take a wave over the top, and I have a cheap bailing sponge to take care of that.

About the only caveat is that it's a little heavy for it's length at 60lbs. The way I have it rigged, it's now probably closer to 70lbs, which can be a bit of a bear to get it on top of minivan for transport, especially after a long day of fishing/paddling.

The hull design makes it fast-ish for an SOT-ish type of kayak, but it also makes it a little tippy. Don't get me wrong, you'd have to really be doing something crazy to roll this thing, but I'd be lying if I told you I wasn't concerned about your intention to install some sort of raised seat in it. When I hurt my tailbone and fishing long days out of my Scout 12.0 was aggravating that, I put a rather thick seat type of PFD on top of the seat, and then put a coccyx pad (a seat pad with a cut-out for your tailbone) on top of that, and it significantly changed the center of gravity for the boat. Again, I didn't flip it, but raising the seat up those 4-5 inches kind made it feel a little more tippy than usual. If your planning on putting a seat on top of a platform that's mounted on top of the sides, that might just be high enough to more easily flip you. I guess it could also depend on what your height and weight are, too.

Hope this helps you. Good luck with your decision (if you haven't already made it). I have no regrets and would buy the same kayak again.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:08 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 352

I love the boat, not so much the company. The reason I have 2 of them is because the handle broke on the front and slid off a friends rack which cracked the bottom. When mad river was contacted the said it must have been loaded on the car wrong. This guy had been loading boats on car racks for 40 years when that happened. He felt so bad he purchased another one but it was newer with a different seat that is horrid. He also took my first one to someone to patch it. Then while getting the new boat to the water another handle broke. Mad river pretty much said sorry about your loss so I went and bought some handles. As for the boat itself and the way it handles I have to say it is wonderful. It tracks well, With little effort I can be to the island on our river quite a few minutes before my friends. I can also be sitting sideways when boats with motors go by and not take on water and the others have to head into the wake. I think it is one of the best kayaks out there just don't carry it by the handles or tie it down with handles.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:38 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,687

You shouldn't be tying it down using the handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk