SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 07-23-2012, 02:17 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543
Default Dog Fences

Anybody ever use the underground e-collar fences for dogs? I'm trying to keep a lab inside an area where he can run around but not be tied up and not have to build a fence.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:24 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

RustyB did install them in Laffy at one time but not sure now. I don't like them because they don't keep out unwanted animals and will not allow your dog to cross back into your yard without getting hit with the electricity again. Best bet is a kennel on cement with a tin roof if the dog is worth that effort. I have a pretty good setup at my house if you want to come by when your in town. It's pretty Ghetto Fabulous but works extremely well.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:34 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
RustyB did install them in Laffy at one time but not sure now. I don't like them because they don't keep out unwanted animals and will not allow your dog to cross back into your yard without getting hit with the electricity again. Best bet is a kennel on cement with a tin roof if the dog is worth that effort. I have a pretty good setup at my house if you want to come by when your in town. It's pretty Ghetto Fabulous but works extremely well.
My kennel has a tarp roof. Still Ghetto fabulous though. Keeps most of the rain off and provides plenty of shade. There is also a dog house in the kennel. It's surprisingly cool under that tarp considering how hot it is otherwise. Course he been living like that his whole life so he used to it. When I am home he is all up in the AC with me like a fat lazy democrat!
Old 07-23-2012, 02:38 PM
Great White

Quote:
He aint really worth that much... Its my girls dog and he dont do nothing but eat and take up space
Old 07-23-2012, 02:55 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

My buddy has something similar to the underground fence but there is no under ground fence. The dog wears a collar and there is a receiver plugged into an outside ac outlet. You can set the distance the dog can go. But if dawg gets too far from from reciever it starts beeping, and then if dawg keeps goin it gets a shock.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:47 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
He aint really worth that much... Its my girls dog and he dont do nothing but eat and take up space
You ate up with it ain't ya Bob? Rang, and now keepin her pets, bet ya takem to get groomed too. It's all the same after ten years I tell ya.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:58 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,316

Quote:
You ate up with it ain't ya Bob? Rang, and now keepin her pets, bet ya takem to get groomed too. It's all the same after ten years I tell ya.
I started to say something like this, but figured I would be nice and let him learn on his own.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:04 PM
Great White

Quote:
shes about to move here and he used to be an inside dog

:thefi nger:
Old 07-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,733
Default Dog fences

Meaux
Ive been installing them for 20 years, Ask away. Or pm me for advice.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:17 PM
Redfish

Cash: 795

I know a guy that installed one and his friend was on the other Side of the fence calling the dog, dog ran straight through it without checking up build a kennel IMO
Old 07-23-2012, 06:32 PM
Red Snapper

Geralddct,
I do this everyday and I assure you it works, but it is more than just putting it in. I have refunded money on 3 occasions out of thousands. There are many differences in fences. Some fences allow dogs to run thru with only a small correction set at a distance. THe faster he runs thru it the less shock he gets. Those tend to have more run throughs. I use a collar than can be programmed to shock on the other side for a preset amount of time after he gets out, And even make it stronger on the other side. So that stops almost all of em. Even ones that have learned to run thru it.
There are many tricks to it. Its nothing more than a mind game. I am almost 100 % successful. Which is better than a kennel or a fence. I put as many for people that have fences that dogs climb over or dig under.
So to say it simply doesnt work, really isnt accurate. Kinda like saying I have a friend that used a topwater bait and it didnt work, buy gulp! Gotta know how to make it work.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
My buddy has something similar to the underground fence but there is no under ground fence. The dog wears a collar and there is a receiver plugged into an outside ac outlet. You can set the distance the dog can go. But if dawg gets too far from from reciever it starts beeping, and then if dawg keeps goin it gets a shock.
I have had these on my dogs and once they learn the system they will not go near the boundary for a big juicy steak
Old 07-23-2012, 08:47 PM
Redfish

Cash: 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyb View Post
Geralddct,
I do this everyday and I assure you it works, but it is more than just putting it in. I have refunded money on 3 occasions out of thousands. There are many differences in fences. Some fences allow dogs to run thru with only a small correction set at a distance. THe faster he runs thru it the less shock he gets. Those tend to have more run throughs. I use a collar than can be programmed to shock on the other side for a preset amount of time after he gets out, And even make it stronger on the other side. So that stops almost all of em. Even ones that have learned to run thru it.
There are many tricks to it. Its nothing more than a mind game. I am almost 100 % successful. Which is better than a kennel or a fence. I put as many for people that have fences that dogs climb over or dig under.
So to say it simply doesnt work, really isnt accurate. Kinda like saying I have a friend that used a topwater bait and it didnt work, buy gulp! Gotta know how to make it work.
Well rusty b I guess you get what you pay for if I have $3000-5000 hunting dog and I do, I know I wouldn't have one, there is know way my dog can get out his kennel. And I know for sure, Im not sure where my buddy bought his but it didn't work.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Red Snapper

geralddct
No doubt its not for everybody. In fact its a little harder to train hunting dogs to the system, that have been conditioned to a remote collar. Just a different approach.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Redfish

Cash: 599

I have one around about 2 acres that I keep my Rottweiler in, it works great but u must follow the instructions as for as training the dog. You can't just put it out and expect it to work without training. I do keep my dog in a kennel at night and when I'm not home though. He has gotten out maybe 3 times over 4 years but this was due to the collar loosening up and he learned that it wouldn't shock him. He is a pretty stubborn dog though and the beeping part don't even phase him he pretty much runs up and down the fence line as I have horses on the other side and gets shocked a couple times a day lol. But I am very happy with it as I can go on about my business without checking to see if dog is still around every 10 minutes.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:25 PM
Redfish

Cash: 599

Oh yea I forgot to mention the one I got I'm not sure of the model but it was one of the more expensive ones, it has 5 settings I used to keep it on 3 till he got out, I tuned it up to 5 and it pretty much knocks him down!! But after a couple times of that I turned it down a notch and he hasn't gotten out since.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:51 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

I Got the wireless. With 3 dogs in it. One lab & 2 feist. Works great! If we go to be camp we unplug it & take it & dogs with us. Got mine from Tractor supply. Had the wire type for a couple years. If wire breaks or goes to ground you're screwed. Have bury a new wire. Did it twice.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:53 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,086

i considered getting one for my labs, but there are alot of other animals and dogs in the area. and i wanna keep them out of my yard as much as i want to keep my labs in. at the moment we havent put up a fence. when im home i let em out, they dont go far and with the heat they either go to the pond or stay on back porch by the fan.
ill build a fence soon and build and enclosure for them with a roof and dog house.
they have both always slept inside at nite, but i wanna make sure they can stay cool in the heat and out of the weather if it gets bad.