SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 07-29-2014, 02:00 PM
Flounder

Cash: 1,035
Default Bait in cameron

Anyone have the number for the Cameron bait shop? It's been so long since I've been down there, they may not be open anymore. I'm looking for some live shrimp for fishing the jetties tomorrow, and I don't want to make the long boat run from Spicers/Calcasieu point.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:14 PM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

Cal point doesn't have shrimp water is too fresh in tanks.
Spicer doesn't have shrimp ?
Old 07-29-2014, 02:53 PM
Flounder

Cash: 1,035

Spicers has some, but I just wanted to reduce the time for the boat ride. My boat is not a rocket sled like some fellows have out there, so it takes me awhile to get to the jetties.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:06 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,454

Quote:
Originally Posted by backlash View Post
Spicers has some, but I just wanted to reduce the time for the boat ride. My boat is not a rocket sled like some fellows have out there, so it takes me awhile to get to the jetties.
Stop and get shrimp... then trailer the boat down to the Jetties.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:37 PM
Flounder

Cash: 785

Calc point has shrimp. I got some today
Old 07-29-2014, 05:01 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapro150 View Post
Calc point has shrimp. I got some today

No shrimp tomorrow as per the Facebook page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2014, 05:55 PM
Flounder

Cash: 517

I tried to buy bait from Crabman in Cameron a couple of weeks ago. It was closed and one of his family members told me he wouldn't be reopening any time soon because he hadn't been feeling well.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:05 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,286

337-775-5188. Crab man in Cameron
Old 07-30-2014, 07:02 PM
Redfish

Cash: 848

Backlash, I'm not sure if the bait shop you're referring to was located just east of downtown Cameron in a big shell parking lot at the curve in the road, but it's gone now. It was called Julia's Tackle Shop and it may have even been gone before Rita hit, I can't remember.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:13 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Live shrimp in Cameron is hard to come by. I remember getting a speeding ticket one time when I bought shrimp at Calc Pt and was racing down to the launch by the jetties. My children still kid me about that one.

The nice officers (backup arrived as I was being frisked) weren't exactly RKBA friendly either and took great offense that a citizen felt he needed a Sig P229 on each hip. Maybe I should stop answering the question, "Why do you need to carry two guns?" with the answer, "For the same reason you do." Some public servants just can't stand that much honesty.

I can see wanting live shrimp at the jetties right now. There's just nowhere close to buy it.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:47 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post

The nice officers (backup arrived as I was being frisked) weren't exactly RKBA friendly either and took great offense that a citizen felt he needed a Sig P229 on each hip. Maybe I should stop answering the question, "Why do you need to carry two guns?" with the answer, "For the same reason you do." Some public servants just can't stand that much honesty.
I said the same thing to a border patrol agent one time down in Zapata, Texas. Instead of " Forthe same reason you do" I just returned his question. "Why do you have a gun?" Thats all I said. Next thing I know I'm sitting Indian style in a bar ditch with my hands zip tied behind me. Turns out it's legal to have a firearm in your truck in Texas it just cannot be in plain sight. In what universe does this make sense? You got to hide your gun from the cops there. It was on the front seat of my truck, things were touch and go at that time with the cartels. Didn't want to have to dig through my console if I found myself in firefight. After they figured out I wasn't a coyote or a mule they gave me my gun back, after running the serial#, and told me to get the hell out of there. Guess that's what I get for driving 80 mph on a caliche road. Dude said I had a 2 mile dust trail.

As far as the live shrimp, I think the guy has been in and out of the hospital.

Rumor has it double rigged brown Voo-doo's worked pretty good. Not as good as the real thing, but considering the logistics involved might be worth a shot.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:05 PM
Redfish

Next time you get asked that question about 2 guns, tell him 'cause you got 2 hands; and that Amendment #2 to the constitution gives you the right.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:32 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelguy1 View Post
Next time you get asked that question about 2 guns, tell him 'cause you got 2 hands; and that Amendment #2 to the constitution gives you the right.
I'm thinking as I approach 50, I should probably turn down the smart alek a bit for more positive personal interactions, especially with public servants.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:51 AM
Redfish

Yes, I believe you're right. Especially down in Cameron, they're as serious as a heart attack.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:32 PM
Flounder

Cash: 681

If I want live bait for the jetties I just bring cast net and throw in one of the cuts and usually end with enough various live bait to fish with.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:07 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelguy1 View Post
Yes, I believe you're right. Especially down in Cameron, they're as serious as a heart attack.
I've had a few encounters with Cameron Deputies over the past few years, and they were all extremely positive. Back in 2012, I was driving back from a good drum and gafftop haul at the jetties when my brother's boat trailer came unattached from his jeep (20 ft Carolina Skiff). It ended up in the ditch on the RHS of 27 a bit south of the bridge over the ICWW. (I was driving.) The deputy showed up in no time, but it took the tow truck an hour and a half. The deputy was cool about the whole thing, just hanging out and keeping traffic safe while we waited and then had the tow truck pull the boat out. He even helped us fix the trailer lights and get on our way (nothing else was damaged).

We've had a few other positive interactions also, mainly when we're hanging out at T-Boys, but they were also pretty cool when we had a trailer bearing issue at the ramp by the pier. We had to leave the trailer in the parking lot down there for a few days, and they gave us no grief.

Other than checking my speed, I have no negative vibe at all when I see a Cameron deputy, and it seems like we pass a couple of 'em every time we go down there.