SaltyCajun.com http://www.boltonford.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion > Hunting Reports

Hunting Reports Read and share your hunting reports here!

Old 10-05-2013, 07:56 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,104
Default First VA hunt

Made my first hunt up here in Virginia. Didn't really expect to see much was going to do a little scouting hunt. Finally settled on a recent cut over. Thought it was smaller than it was. Saw about 15 turkeys come out on the side closest to me so way out of bow range so I moved a little closer and found the cutover opened up in the back where no one else can see. Thought that if the turkeys could come out right there, deer would too. So treestandless and groundblindless I sat on a cut tree stump and took a sip of water. Started playing a few games on my phone trying to pass the time. Looked up after about 30 minutes and my heart started pounding. Saw a doe staring right back at me. Now I'm kind of in the open but backdropped by a cluster of trees. Moved as slow as I possibly could to raise my bow and she started stepping out. Well I didn't even think about "measuring" distance and went ahead and guessed her range at 40 which is the bottom pin on my bow. She stepped into a clearing and I let the arrow fly... About ten feet short and way too low. Knew I missed and should have stayed put. But I went and got my arrow out of the stump that I killed. About 40 minutes later, I heard her and her fawn crashing through the woods in front of me. After learning my lesson, I held off. She sniffed some of my old spice deodorant and let out that screech and turned tail and ran with her fawn. Never did see them again. Walked back a little more encouraged about hunting in Virginia.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Red Snapper

G
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (76.0 KB, 84 views)
Old 10-05-2013, 08:11 PM
Red Snapper

H
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (109.9 KB, 83 views)
Old 10-05-2013, 08:12 PM
Red Snapper

J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (86.2 KB, 82 views)
Old 10-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275

Hunting for deer up that way is absolutely outstanding.

Good thinking on the turkeys, generally speaking if a turkey is comfortable in an area a deer will be very comfortable.

The immediate area around norfolk is pretty good, but shoot over the bay bridge tunnel and find yourself a friendly farmer on maryland's eastern shore and you will have a real chance at P&Y and even B&C class animals. With a very very high population density as well. There are many area's of the eastern shore that have deer densities upwards of 50 head per square mile.

Additionally there are some great opportunities to hunt wild (not pen raised like the TX ones) Sika Deer. They roam some of the marsh areas on maryland's eastern shore, Bugle like elk and have the finest tasting venison i have ever had.

Get some unscented deodorant as well as cloths wash / body wash. Scent control with bowhunting is crucial.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:18 PM
Red Snapper

If that's a picture of the broadhead after you shot it.... get rid of those things... pick up something sturdy.... Montec G1's, Thunderheads, Muzzy 3 or 4 blade... etc..
Old 10-05-2013, 08:25 PM
Red Snapper

I'm about to get some montec's. had thunderheads but sold them with last bow. These were cheap an from Walmart. Gonna head on over and pick up some montec's probably tomorrow morning at ****'s.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:28 PM
Red Snapper

Here's a couple that i took up there, as well as a decent little 6 point sika.

All with archery tackle.

The sika and the smaller whitetail rack both came from public ground.

sorry bout the crappy quality of the pictures, my camera wont take pics for a darn in low light anymore... gonna have to replace it soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4658.jpg (26.7 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4659.jpg (25.9 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4660.jpg (24.2 KB, 78 views)
Old 10-05-2013, 08:32 PM
Red Snapper

Nice. Can't wait to be a little better equipped with a treestand or a cheap little ground blind and an actual washer and dryer to start killin.