SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 07-28-2014, 01:54 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Back home(Oklahoma), a mud cat was typically found in ponds and slow moving creeks, rivers. They were very yellow in color, especially on their bellies. A BIG mud cat may make 3 lbs. and, in my opinion, isn't a single one worth eating. To me, they are the hard head of fresh water.

Outside of that, there was a channel cat, blue cat and, a flat head. And, for the love of God, they're friggin' crappie, not white perch or sacalait!

Ok, I feel better now.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:23 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
Back home(Oklahoma), a mud cat was typically found in ponds and slow moving creeks, rivers. They were very yellow in color, especially on their bellies. A BIG mud cat may make 3 lbs. and, in my opinion, isn't a single one worth eating. To me, they are the hard head of fresh water.

Outside of that, there was a channel cat, blue cat and, a flat head. And, for the love of God, they're friggin' crappie, not white perch or sacalait!

Ok, I feel better now.
White perch.lmao
Old 07-28-2014, 02:33 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
my family calls willow oaks pin oaks but have also heard water oaks called pin oaks as well. Basically any oak flat that floods, you are hunting in a 'pin oak flat'

heard two sides of the argument for willow oaks as to why they are referred to as 'pin oaks', one is that the the leaf is long and pointed like a pin, the other is that these were the oaks that were found in the bottoms nearest the river, and the shipbuilders used this wood as the pins holding it together
you mean there arent any pin oaks on hwy 15? mind blown
Old 07-28-2014, 02:37 PM
Redfish

Cash: 899

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post

Ok, I feel better now.
Sac a lait. People that say crappie are a dead give away for being from out of state(Yankees)
Old 07-28-2014, 02:38 PM
Redfish

Okie=Yankee
Old 07-28-2014, 02:38 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
you mean there arent any pin oaks on hwy 15? mind blown
'the best damn duck club in Louisiana'

they kilt most their 'pin oaks'
Old 07-28-2014, 02:46 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
'the best damn duck club in Louisiana'

they kilt most their 'pin oaks'
LMAO!!!
Old 07-28-2014, 03:22 PM
Trophy Trout

Pin oaks may not be native here, but we did plant a few in our yard when I was younger. They will survive here.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:43 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

Never saw no white perch or none smell lika a pile of crappy.....SAC-A-LAIT.....They ain't white and don't stink.....Guess ya'll got another name for them green trouts too....And it make no difference what you call'm , the mudcat and flathead is two different fish....Ya'll done hijack goooh thread.....
Old 07-28-2014, 05:27 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil bubba View Post
Never saw no white perch or none smell lika a pile of crappy.....SAC-A-LAIT.....They ain't white and don't stink.....Guess ya'll got another name for them green trouts too....And it make no difference what you call'm , the mudcat and flathead is two different fish....Ya'll done hijack goooh thread.....

They are, but they aren't.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:53 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,211

So what you're sayin is if a mouse goes outside it becomes a rat and if a rat goes inside it becomes a mouse?
Old 07-28-2014, 05:54 PM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotLikinisAhabbit View Post
So what you're sayin is if a mouse goes outside it becomes a rat and if a rat goes inside it becomes a mouse?
Exactly
Old 07-28-2014, 06:17 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,211

Every comment I see arguing about what they think a mudcat is.
http://youtu.be/LRLyxjZtkzY
Old 07-28-2014, 06:21 PM
Redfish

Cash: 705

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjethro85 View Post
The last part jean or jonne i believe is French for orange or yellow. The gou jonne is usually followed by a cai for cat. My stepdad from mamou has always called then that. He also said that any mullet that calls a fine tasting catfish such as a flathead a mud cat is not very bright.
I agree with your step-dad about confusing a mud cat with a flathead. Actually in French, or in this case the Cajun French dialect a mudcat is called goujon in most areas. In the area around Mamou that your step-dad is from they did add the word jaune which is French for yellow; hence goujon-jaune (yellow catfish). The Opealousas catfish was referred to as a goujon-caille (spotted catfish, caille pronounced "ky" is French for spot or spotted). Other areas of Cajun country referred to a mudcat just goujon. My dad and his friends (Acadia and St. Landry Parish) often referred to an Opealousas cat by it's slang name in French "manche-ouaouaron" which translated literally means bullfrog eater. Blue cats and channel cats were called "barbue" (bar-boo). The word for cat is "chat" pronounced "shah" so if that was put on the end of the word in French around that area I'm glad that I was able to learn another name for that catfish. I'm sure that there were other names for these fish as many of these communities were pretty much isolated until after WWII and there were many dialects and slangs among the Cajun French. One of my favorites was the French word "caouanne" pronounced ka-wan. (short a and don't pronounce the n) which means logger-head or snapping turtle. In some areas, I guess it was because of snapping turtle the word was slang for something that women had and men wanted.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:32 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunduck man View Post
I agree with your step-dad about confusing a mud cat with a flathead. Actually in French, or in this case the Cajun French dialect a mudcat is called goujon in most areas. In the area around Mamou that your step-dad is from they did add the word jaune which is French for yellow; hence goujon-jaune (yellow catfish). The Opealousas catfish was referred to as a goujon-caille (spotted catfish, caille pronounced "ky" is French for spot or spotted). Other areas of Cajun country referred to a mudcat just goujon. My dad and his friends (Acadia and St. Landry Parish) often referred to an Opealousas cat by it's slang name in French "manche-ouaouaron" which translated literally means bullfrog eater. Blue cats and channel cats were called "barbue" (bar-boo). The word for cat is "chat" pronounced "shah" so if that was put on the end of the word in French around that area I'm glad that I was able to learn another name for that catfish. I'm sure that there were other names for these fish as many of these communities were pretty much isolated until after WWII and there were many dialects and slangs among the Cajun French. One of my favorites was the French word "caouanne" pronounced ka-wan. (short a and don't pronounce the n) which means logger-head or snapping turtle. In some areas, I guess it was because of snapping turtle the word was slang for something that women had and men wanted.

Nice history.

She gonna put that "Cawan" on ya!!
Old 07-28-2014, 06:57 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

Quote:

This is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2014, 07:03 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:

Goujon is actually a French automobile.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:07 PM
Redfish

Cash: 705

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
Goujon is actually a French automobile.
I hope it runs better than that POS that I rode around in while I was in school in Belgium many moons ago.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:50 PM
Flounder

Cash: 394

"Look a porpoise" gets me every time. 16 mammals inhabit the Gulf (northern) and a porpoise is not one.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:59 PM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

uploadfromtaptalk1406595561252.jpg