SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > Tech Support Forum

Tech Support Forum Use this forum to discuss and find answers for any technical (computer) issues you are having

Old 12-07-2014, 06:57 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,926
Default tablets

What's the best one for the price?
It would be for me,maybe replace my laptop?? Just don't know alot about them any help/suggestions would be great.

Also never had a Mac,always been a pc user don't know it that makes a different in my options.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:06 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

if yu want to replace laptop with a tablet , id ask what do you currently use your laptop for? reason i ask is things like WORD, eXCEL etc are a pain in the butt to use on a tablet if you use them all the time . imo tablets are good for viewing files, internet, pictures etc
Old 12-07-2014, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,470

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpox View Post
if yu want to replace laptop with a tablet , id ask what do you currently use your laptop for? reason i ask is things like WORD, eXCEL etc are a pain in the butt to use on a tablet if you use them all the time . imo tablets are good for viewing files, internet, pictures etc
I agree! Yes, you can attach a keyboard and mouse to some but then you're looking at a laptop so why not just get one.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:06 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

Tablets are for fun. Laptops/Computers are for work.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:07 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by I make oil View Post
Tablets are for fun. Laptops/Computers are for work.
Yeah, for laying in your draw'ers on the sofa reading Saltycajun.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:40 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
What's the best one for the price?
It would be for me,maybe replace my laptop?? Just don't know alot about them any help/suggestions would be great.

Also never had a Mac,always been a pc user don't know it that makes a different in my options.

My kids have a couple Samsun tablets the 7" models. Get one of those to play on a stripped down laptop loaded with windows for work..... you can get the tablet for under $150 and a decent laptop with windows for under $300
Old 12-08-2014, 11:39 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,038

I use this for school and watching movies.

The keyboard is detachable and I only use it when I need to work with excel or word. The rest of the time I detach the keyboard and keep the tablet in a flip case. I download all of the lecture pdfs/power points for class and use the stylus to make notes directly on the screen. Battery life is very good. I can go a couple of days without a charge.

It's not super fast though and memory is limited, both RAM and Hard Drive space. You can use a SDmicro card to add storage space though. Also has a USB slot which is very nice for transferring files if you don't have access to wifi at the time.

The super duper tablet is the Microsoft Surface 3 --

You pay a premium for that though. I'm considering it though. While my tablet works fine most of the time, it really struggled with using SmartArt in MS Word to make a flowchart last week.

I will say that I have an Android phone and I like it alot. I bought a couple of Android tablets for Christmas this year and the floor models at the store were very nice. If you want to work in MS Office though I don't think Android or Apple iOS are quite up to speed yet.

So...if you want to use excel/word, etc for serious use (not just read files), then I'd go with a Windows tablet. Otherwise I would go with Android or iPad. The Windows app selection can't compete with Android/Apple.

If I did not need MS Office for school, I would have an Android.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:20 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

We use Ipads. For recreational use I really don't think they can be beat. They just work. No fuss, no mess. Movies, games, facebook, surfing the interweb and listening to music. Just click and go. The picture is brilliant. If I have any negatives it is the limited file space, inability to watch DVD's or use external storage. If you are using them online I just don't see how you can beat them. At least not with anything else I've seen around. Netflix and Hulu are awesome.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:39 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,577

Lenovo has some pretty interesting devices. Not many people purchase Lenovo, but a lot of business' use them on a larger scale. They are typically some pretty solid devices, and they run Windows OS's. They also have a new hybrid laptop/tablet that is definitely worth looking into.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:18 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,926

Thanks for the help guys, this gives me a starting point as to what I need/want.