SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:26 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
Last time I checked it was 95 degrees outside a freeze? really

I also think that dropping a nuclear bomb and killing millions of shrimp, reds and trout is unhealthy as well and about as unlikely to happen as a freeze in September, October, or November for that matter. Last time I broke ice duck hunting in November in Louisiana was hell I can't even remember

the sky is falling, the sky is falling, the sky is falling Do you really think that there are no shrimp on the west side of the lake in those marshes? Do you also know that some shrimp actually move in FROM the gulf this time of year as well?

O yea u mad!!!
Attached Images
File Type: png facebook-20130718-141036.png (81.4 KB, 398 views)
Old 09-12-2013, 10:31 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
O yea u mad!!!

That was the quickest e-fight ever with you bro Only took one page before you break out the memes (i.e concede)
Old 09-12-2013, 03:26 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
Last time I checked it was 95 degrees outside a freeze? really

I also think that dropping a nuclear bomb and killing millions of shrimp, reds and trout is unhealthy as well and about as unlikely to happen as a freeze in September, October, or November for that matter. Last time I broke ice duck hunting in November in Louisiana was hell I can't even remember

the sky is falling, the sky is falling, the sky is falling Do you really think that there are no shrimp on the west side of the lake in those marshes? Do you also know that some shrimp actually move in FROM the gulf this time of year as well?
Last time I broke ice duck hunting in La anytime was......probaly 1998. It just doesn't happen in the marsh. Plus, the saltier the water the colder it has to be to freeze..........duh. Ain't gonna happen.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:52 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickt87 View Post
Last time I broke ice duck hunting in La anytime was......probaly 1998. It just doesn't happen in the marsh. Plus, the saltier the water the colder it has to be to freeze..........duh. Ain't gonna happen.
Well how about this from Feb 2011?

Thousands of redfish trapped due to closed weirs but when the kill started stinking up the place it was funny that salt did not matter because they were quick to flush it

So before you say never, listen to people who know 1000Xs more than our 2 local saltycajun "save the duck weed guys"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg facebook-20130912-164443.jpg (79.4 KB, 354 views)
File Type: jpg facebook-20130912-164456.jpg (45.6 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg facebook-20130912-164507.jpg (49.2 KB, 354 views)
File Type: jpg facebook-20130912-164520.jpg (70.0 KB, 352 views)
Old 09-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

Screw those redfish, the marsh didn't live without the weirs ever before, so why should it now? Let's be sure to keep the saltwater out, because it's never been in there before, and it will kill everything. Who cares about the lake, shrimp, fish, and rest of the ecosystem as long as we have grass. Lol.

What i don't understand is why does that marsh need to be completely fresh? There are plenty of brackish marshes all along the LA coast, just like there has been for thousands of years.

I remember that, you would have never thought there was that many redfish back there until that fish kill.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle creek View Post
Screw those redfish, the marsh didn't live without the weirs ever before, so why should it now? Let's be sure to keep the saltwater out, because it's never been in there before, and it will kill everything. Who cares about the lake, shrimp, fish, and rest of the ecosystem as long as we have grass. Lol.

What i don't understand is why does that marsh need to be completely fresh? There are plenty of brackish marshes all along the LA coast, just like there has been for thousands of years.

I remember that, you would have never thought there was that many redfish back there until that fish kill.
Have you been to the east side of the state before? All that marsh you talk about is disappearing before our eyes. When I have kids and they are my age there will be no more marsh between leeville and grand isle probably. It has reduced by more than half in my lifetime alone. So while the weirs may not be the best option for all parties, they are better than losing all the marsh and then there is no habitat for all those shrimp and redfish yall are crying about
Old 09-12-2013, 09:24 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
Have you been to the east side of the state before? All that marsh you talk about is disappearing before our eyes. When I have kids and they are my age there will be no more marsh between leeville and grand isle probably. It has reduced by more than half in my lifetime alone. So while the weirs may not be the best option for all parties, they are better than losing all the marsh and then there is no habitat for all those shrimp and redfish yall are crying about
That is what it all boils down to....they are trying to save land with weirs,not fish and shrimp. Just look at the wax lake outlet....only area in la building land. If the wax was never dug im sure there would not be much land left between the open bay/gulf and morgan city.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:27 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,926

Been all over the west side marsh (dang near the tx line.) Only seen 10 or 12 shrimp, in a week. And the water Is salty salty!!!! but on a plus side the marsh and the gators where better for us this year!
Old 09-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Red Snapper

Better build a levee and weirs in Sabine lake then too. I'm not crying about fish and shrimp either I don't really care. Man-made canals and channels are the reason the east side of the state is losing land. I understand we have a ship channel that is not natural, but everything works in cycles. Yeah the salinity levels may get high in that marsh at times, and at other times the water will be extremely fresh. Mother nature is better at working things out than we are.

If that is the argument, why aren't there weirs and levees on every coast of every lake in southern LA? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell that there is little to no difference in the east bank of Big Lake and the east bank of Sabine Lake.

So i guess it is okay for saltwater intrusion to happen in the marshes west of West Cove?
Old 09-13-2013, 07:22 AM
Flounder

Cash: 697

Quote:
Better build a levee and weirs in Sabine lake then too. I'm not crying about fish and shrimp either I don't really care. Man-made canals and channels are the reason the east side of the state is losing land. I understand we have a ship channel that is not natural, but everything works in cycles. Yeah the salinity levels may get high in that marsh at times, and at other times the water will be extremely fresh. Mother nature is better at working things out than we are.

If that is the argument, why aren't there weirs and levees on every coast of every lake in southern LA? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell that there is little to no difference in the east bank of Big Lake and the east bank of Sabine Lake.

So i guess it is okay for saltwater intrusion to happen in the marshes west of West Cove?
X1000 I agree
Old 09-13-2013, 09:25 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 574

Since following this topic and reading the article in the local paper dated 9-7, it appears the salinity levels are increasing with the weirs closed. The article mentioned that the salinity level was 8 ppt and was about to be opened within a week, but then the level shot up to 13 ppt. Now according to this thread the salinity level is 15ppt.

Where is the breach into the marsh? Or do the analyzers need to be calibrated?

Perhaps a diversion project would be a good option to take some of the lower salinity water from the intracoastal waterway in order to blend down the salt water intrusion?
Old 09-13-2013, 09:59 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M29ogie View Post
Since following this topic and reading the article in the local paper dated 9-7, it appears the salinity levels are increasing with the weirs closed. The article mentioned that the salinity level was 8 ppt and was about to be opened within a week, but then the level shot up to 13 ppt. Now according to this thread the salinity level is 15ppt.

Where is the breach into the marsh? Or do the analyzers need to be calibrated?

Perhaps a diversion project would be a good option to take some of the lower salinity water from the intracoastal waterway in order to blend down the salt water intrusion?

Freshwater lighter than salt

Water is low and evaporation happens where?? On surface
Old 09-13-2013, 10:00 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:

Ducks...... and this only
Old 09-13-2013, 10:50 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Ducks...... and this only
There's nothing but greys, pintail, teal, and spoonies back there anyway lol. Might as well be salty they'll still be there. It's not like that marsh is going to turn into lilly pads and cut grass and be covered up in mallards. There has to be more too it than that.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:55 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
There's nothing but greys, pintail, teal, and spoonies back there anyway lol. Might as well be salty they'll still be there. It's not like that marsh is going to turn into lilly pads and cut grass and be covered up in mallards. There has to be more too it than that.
They stocking it with bass
Old 09-13-2013, 10:59 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
They stocking it with bass

That's what's supposed to be in it anyway. Hypothetically, if tomorrow they decided to fill in the ship channel and put the river back to the way it was decades ago, would you be for it or against it?
Old 09-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Red Snapper

That's a stretch. Gotta look at what we have now.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:25 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
That's a stretch. Gotta look at what we have now.
I know that. I'm just wondering what's more important. Catching specks or saving our coast. I know the west side doesn't have that problem like the East does but I'm just curious what the support would be if that could happen.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:28 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Bounce Da Hen!

Sorry wrong thread...
Old 09-13-2013, 12:04 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
Bounce Da Hen!

Sorry wrong thread...