SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 03-04-2013, 11:22 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,226

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarponTom View Post
What many people don't realize is the cleanup crews are picking up between 700 to 900 pounds of oil every single day on Fourchon Beach, & Elmers Island alone. Every the tide goes out oil balls are all over the beaches again. I have also seen a significant reduction in the menhaden population in the Lake P, Borgne, and Venice areas. The population is easily 1/2 of what it was in 2005 and I'm positive this is due to the oil spill and corexit.

A reduced creel limit of trout to 5 per person with strict minimum and maximum size limits will occur within the next 48 months. The trout & menhaden aren't the only fish to have taken a hit either--the flounder fishery is in real trouble.
TT brings up the heart of the issue. The East side, for what ever reason, is suffering lower catch rates. The rest of us, west side/central coast will be effected in that what ever happens there will be inflicted on the rest of the coast. This will make it far easier to enforce creel limits for LWF. East dictates to the rest of us because of its political muscle. Granted there are real issues facing the east side but perhaps we should isolate this area and fully concentrate efforts toward improving fish stocks/habitat. Areas west of Cocodrie were not adversely effected by BP spill. With that the central and west side should be monitored to compare population densities along with fishing success rates.
Even with high river stages this past spring, the central areas had good to great fishing...from my experiences. Going half cocked to cut down on creel limits in un-effected areas is poor management, but easy to implement, imo.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:35 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefman View Post
Even with high river stages this past spring, the central areas had good to great fishing...from my experiences. Going half cocked to cut down on creel limits in un-effected areas is poor management, but easy to implement, imo.
I think the long term interests of the fishery are best served by pressing LDWF to document the science and explain their data and reasoning behind any limit changes. A long term limit change would be a bad response to a short term circumstance. Even if one has full confidence in the current LDWF biologists, I still think the public good is best served by close examination of the science to verify that the decisions are well considered and data driven. After all, the next group of biologists may not be as trustworthy as the current group. What if the NOAA/Vision 2020 types end up employed as future LDWF biologists? It would be better to have a pattern established of being open with the data and scientific reasoning. There needs to be accountability both to the general public and to independent scientific analysis of the data and decision making process.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:36 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
What many people don't realize is the cleanup crews are picking up between 700 to 900 pounds of oil every single day on Fourchon Beach, & Elmers Island alone. Every the tide goes out oil balls are all over the beaches again. I have also seen a significant reduction in the menhaden population in the Lake P, Borgne, and Venice areas. The population is easily 1/2 of what it was in 2005 and I'm positive this is due to the oil spill and corexit.

A reduced creel limit of trout to 5 per person with strict minimum and maximum size limits will occur within the next 48 months. The trout & menhaden aren't the only fish to have taken a hit either--the flounder fishery is in real trouble.

Do you have a source or link to back what your saying about the oil amount picked up because I call 100% bull **** 700-900lbs everyday

And how do you know the fish population is half of what it was from 2005 when a lot of guides are posting record years from these areas
Old 03-04-2013, 12:12 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,226

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
I think the long term interests of the fishery are best served by pressing LDWF to document the science and explain their data and reasoning behind any limit changes. A long term limit change would be a bad response to a short term circumstance. Even if one has full confidence in the current LDWF biologists, I still think the public good is best served by close examination of the science to verify that the decisions are well considered and data driven. After all, the next group of biologists may not be as trustworthy as the current group. What if the NOAA/Vision 2020 types end up employed as future LDWF biologists? It would be better to have a pattern established of being open with the data and scientific reasoning. There needs to be accountability both to the general public and to independent scientific analysis of the data and decision making process.
Here's where I become skeptical MathGeek. There are tons of scientific studies that have been conducted by independent as well as LWF biologists concerning the BP spill. Most, if not all studies are not public! Most all have a gag order because of litigations on-going with BP. We, as citizens, are again in the dark as to exactly what did all that oil and dispersant's do to our fish stocks and environment in the affected areas.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:18 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefman View Post
Here's where I become skeptical MathGeek. There are tons of scientific studies that have been conducted by independent as well as LWF biologists concerning the BP spill. Most, if not all studies are not public! Most all have a gag order because of litigations on-going with BP. We, as citizens, are again in the dark as to exactly what did all that oil and dispersant's do to our fish stocks and environment in the affected areas.
The studies are not going to come out until the litigation is all over. There are however plenty of studies on Corexit and its toxicity in the environment dating back to the 1970s. You can go to google scholar scholar.google.com and type in Corexit and you will get many hits.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:25 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:

Am I missing something? The oil spill happened in 2010, so why are you comparing menhaden numbers from 2005?
Old 03-04-2013, 01:34 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 774

Quote:

Could this also be from the big purse seiners out of Empire that supply the pogie plant?

Same could be said about the amount of mullet around Grand Isle/Elmers Island. I remember as a kid fishing the surf that there would me mullet rafts as far as you could see in any direction. You don't see that anymore either. Could this be due to the net fishermen that catch them for their eggs? I'm not sure, but it's another plausible possibility.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:39 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
Am I missing something? The oil spill happened in 2010, so why are you comparing menhaden numbers from 2005?
And they still picking up 700-900 lbs of oil everyday..
Old 03-04-2013, 02:15 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

There are several different Corexit formula's.
The oil spill did kill off fish, but the Menhaden numbers have been going down hill long before the spill.
I have a brother in law who is a captain on a pogy boat. His pay has been dwindling over the past 20 years. Less catch, less pay.
There have not been much difference in catch numbers since the spill, but he fishes out of Cameron.

All netting and fishing was shut down towards the East. I agree that there is a lot of tar in Eastern GOM, but not as much inshore. Most is still in deepwater.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:27 PM
Flounder

Cash: 629

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Do you have a source or link to back what your saying about the oil amount picked up because I call 100% bull **** 700-900lbs everyday

And how do you know the fish population is half of what it was from 2005 when a lot of guides are posting record years from these areas
Interview from last week directly from oil spill cleanup workers. Have a good day.
http://www.theamericanzombie.com/201...bayou.html?m=1
Old 03-04-2013, 10:47 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Interview from last week directly from oil spill cleanup workers. Have a good day.
http://www.theamericanzombie.com/201...bayou.html?m=1
OMG LMAO x1000

America Zombie ??? C' Mon man ... Come with a creditable source ? I'm mean I have been in the oil field 13 years and I get emails from about 12 sources of Gulf News ,and no search proves this!

You post. A zombie link and in the comments people talking about emails getting hacked and virus LMAo

Man get me some real news
Old 03-04-2013, 10:51 PM
Flounder

Cash: 629

Watch the interview with the head of the Wisner property who tells them how much oil they are retrieving. Guess you didn't watch the video interview.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:54 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Watch the interview with the head of the Wisner property who tells them how much oil they are retrieving. Guess you didn't watch the video interview.
I watch video of people who saw big foot also !!

America Zombie ..

Stop Reading
Old 03-05-2013, 12:24 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Video says 100-200 pounds a day and most of the bags they had were mostly sand. Most of us realize it is a big coverup and the media makes it sound like the oil is gone. Imagine the amount of oil sitting on the bottom of the gulf.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:55 AM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,314

IMHO, The media loves our president and with his liberal agenda pushing "green" energy, the media would be reporting everything they could find to hurt the oil industry.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:06 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
IMHO, The media loves our president and with his liberal agenda pushing "green" energy, the media would be reporting everything they could find to hurt the oil industry.
X10000000000

America Zombie media
Old 03-05-2013, 11:20 AM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
Watch that documentary on the oil spill I posted very interesting....shows how corrupt our government is and how they used media to cover it up. Crazy stuff!
Old 03-05-2013, 02:00 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
Watch that documentary on the oil spill I posted very interesting....shows how corrupt our government is and how they used media to cover it up. Crazy stuff!
I don't believe the media covered up anything . They are there to make ot look like the worst event ever!!!
Old 03-05-2013, 04:55 PM
Great White

The thing that shocked me is how they test the fish crabs and shrimp.....a smell test,if it does not smell like oil its good to go.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:09 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

The menhaden are scarce on the East Coast also. There is a big push to shut pogy fishing down over there, and there was no oil spill over there.
Their Oyster fishing is going South also.