SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 09-16-2014, 09:52 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-TOP View Post
I have been looking into the whole oyster issue for a while now. It appears that the main problem with the oysters is that the salinity levels in the lake are too high. There is data to back this up. The upcoming salinity control projects would be good for the oysters and hopefully would possibly allow the weirs to be open almost all the time.
There is a lot of truth here, in that the high salinities are the main problem in recovery of the oysters after the major overharvesting event on the E side in 2010.

Reducing salinity is one key issue to the future of the oyster reefs in the estuary.

But it was over harvesting rather than salinity that created the original problem back in 2010. Oyster harvesting was closed in most of the state due to the oil spill, and tremendous harvest pressure was concentrated on Big Lake.

Addressing the salinity issue will likely allow the oysters to return to historical levels.

But keeping harvests at a modest and sustainable level is also key to long term productivity of the system.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:56 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
There is a group I have been in contact with That is planing to install a rock or levee system along ship channel to lower salinity by 6-8 ppt
There is little doubt that this would benefit the oyster reefs (lower salinity), the marsh (lower salinity), and the lake (weirs open more, lower volume tidal flow).

Getting the funds and approvals is a non-trivial challenge.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:04 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,569

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
There is a lot of truth here, in that the high salinities are the main problem in recovery of the oysters after the major overharvesting event on the E side in 2010.

Reducing salinity is one key issue to the future of the oyster reefs in the estuary.

But it was over harvesting rather than salinity that created the original problem back in 2010. Oyster harvesting was closed in most of the state due to the oil spill, and tremendous harvest pressure was concentrated on Big Lake.

Addressing the salinity issue will likely allow the oysters to return to historical levels.

But keeping harvests at a modest and sustainable level is also key to long term productivity of the system.
I think things are going in the right direction with the harvesting issues. Side note, LWF built a reef south of the old jetties that had never been harvested (15 acres) it basically died last year. No dredging had been done. I'm sure you have looked at the assessments the sample stations in the lake show zero oysters on them. It seems it would have to be the salinity levels stopping oysters from coming back not dredging. FYI i would like to see the oyster dredging stopped.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:35 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
I think things are going in the right direction with the harvesting issues. Side note, LWF built a reef south of the old jetties that had never been harvested (15 acres) it basically died last year.
Yes, salinity levels at the S end of the lake are high enough to cause a problem with no harvesting. The reefs at the N end of the lake are in better shape. Most of the LDWF sampling stations for the stock assessments are near the S end of the lake, because this is where most of the commercial harvesting occurs. There is a line running east-west near the middle of the lake N of which harvesting is closed even when the S end of the lake is open. Because the N end is closed to harvest, LDWF has less interest in rebuilding or assessing stocks in this area.

Quote:
No dredging had been done. I'm sure you have looked at the assessments the sample stations in the lake show zero oysters on them. It seems it would have to be the salinity levels stopping oysters from coming back not dredging. FYI i would like to see the oyster dredging stopped.
Right. Since there has been no dredging on the E side since 2010, dredging on the E side is not the current problem.

But note that LDWF is more interested in rebuilding reefs S of the line where oystering is allowed, rather than N of the line where reefs would be protected. Since salinity levels are lower the further N you go, it would make more sense to restore oysters N of the line. Restoring reefs S of the line in the higher salinity areas suggests that the purpose of reef restorations is focused on harvest, not habitat and ecosystem services. See the attached figure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013 Oysters in Calcasieu.jpg (48.6 KB, 129 views)
Old 09-16-2014, 10:55 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,569

Quote:
Yes, salinity levels at the S end of the lake are high enough to cause a problem with no harvesting. The reefs at the N end of the lake are in better shape. Most of the LDWF sampling stations for the stock assessments are near the S end of the lake, because this is where most of the commercial harvesting occurs. There is a line running east-west near the middle of the lake N of which harvesting is closed even when the S end of the lake is open. Because the N end is closed to harvest, LDWF has less interest in rebuilding or assessing stocks in this area.

Right. Since there has been no dredging on the E side since 2010, dredging on the E side is not the current problem.

But note that LDWF is more interested in rebuilding reefs S of the line where oystering is allowed, rather than N of the line where reefs would be protected. Since salinity levels are lower the further N you go, it would make more sense to restore oysters N of the line. Restoring reefs S of the line in the higher salinity areas suggests that the purpose of reef restorations is focused on harvest, not habitat and ecosystem services. See the attached figure.
I'm sorry, but LDWF is going to build a 50 acre reef next year and it will more than likely be North of the line. They do not want to build it south of the line. LDWF has to monitor the harvest area to regulate oyster havests, so i guess it may appear that they don't care.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:54 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
I'm sorry, but LDWF is going to build a 50 acre reef next year and it will more than likely be North of the line. They do not want to build it south of the line. LDWF has to monitor the harvest area to regulate oyster havests, so i guess it may appear that they don't care.
A 50 acre reef N of the line would be awesome.

It's too bad they waited so long.

Both salinity and harvest prohibition favor long term success for reefs N of the line. Let's keep the pressure up to make sure this happens. I could see them caving to the oyster lobby and moving it S.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:00 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 2,156

Very Very Interesting !!!
Old 09-16-2014, 01:03 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
A 50 acre reef N of the line would be awesome.

I could see them caving to the oyster lobby and moving it S.
There's a bunch of greedy Lawyers out there that rationalize they're just being kind and supportive to the Cajun Culture. Yet most charge hourly and a % of the take/reward/compensation for their "expenses". And the Oyster lobby has political clout, the American Way.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:07 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Oyster fisherman have the strongest hand on the lake by far

Almost untouchable

Don't understand how they control so much power with the state but they do. !
Old 09-16-2014, 01:25 PM
Trophy Trout

I will sum it up, as it's those who want "Immediate Gratification" , that often do long term damage. EXAMPLE.....disappearance of SE LA Coastline in order to maintain salinity levels. SE LA also raises cane at the suggestion that Diversions would be beneficial. Face it people....every wave takes some coastal mud with it, with nothing to replace it. Can't have your cake and eat it too. Need to adjust priorities....

For Example Atchafalaya Delta, Wax lake Outlet...both are low on Specs most of the time BUT...it is doable to catch them, just requires more effort. AND...that place is both gaining acreage, though much in the form of "Spoil Banks", and it is a Waterfowl Mecca.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:46 PM
Redfish

Cash: -239

Quote:
Oyster fisherman have the strongest hand on the lake by far

Almost untouchable

Don't understand how they control so much power with the state but they do. !
They provide a more important service to the surrounding areas than a part time fishing guide. Who do you think they are going to listen to duck?
Old 09-16-2014, 01:57 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickfish View Post
They provide a more important service to the surrounding areas than a part time fishing guide. Who do you think they are going to listen to duck?
Dude S T F U

How about to shove a stick of dynamite up your aZZ and light it !!

Tell your mom I said HI
Old 09-16-2014, 02:05 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,958

Someone educate me here... Since when do oysters die in high salinities? Are the oysters in BL different from other gulf oysters?? The best oysters I have eaten came from old project areas where we collected data and the salinity was 25 ppt +. Its been my experience that high temps and low salinities are the cause for poor oyster production
Old 09-16-2014, 02:09 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,958

Quote:
So Could it be that when the weirs are open fish are more active and gorging ( regurgitating) due to the amout of bait and tidle flow?

When weirs are open we have move tide and bait on east side as to none when close ? So could it just change there feeding habits as when you have affective tides and bait trout on east side gorge more ?

Let's take last summer for prime example , weirs were closed all summer long and trout fishing was horrible. East side and south end were not very productive as it has been this year due to them being open all summer long
This sounds logical... Difficult to believe that the opening of the wiers results in lower body mass
Old 09-16-2014, 02:13 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtfish View Post
Someone educate me here... Since when do oysters die in high salinities? Are the oysters in BL different from other gulf oysters?? The best oysters I have eaten came from old project areas where we collected data and the salinity was 25 ppt +. Its been my experience that high temps and low salinities are the cause for poor oyster production
Yea I agree I never heard that high salinity hurt oysters because west cove has always been thick and we have a few deep reefs in channel that are full of oysters

I think the problem we have on east side of ship channel and behind old jetties is settlement from dredging and erosion depositing on reefs and smothering them out . Crabbers have 2inchs of slit in traps some days along wash out and 9 mile

This this is more of our problem than salinity
Old 09-16-2014, 02:13 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Dude S T F U

How about to shove a stick of dynamite up your aZZ and light it !!

Tell your mom I said HI
I'll let you tell her yourself when we come down at the end of the month. I'll come find you.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:22 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
I'll let you tell her yourself when we come down at the end of the month. I'll come find you.
305 big lake rd 337 789 9002

No need to look ill go to you !!

Only coward like you talk s h it behind a screen name becaus your to yellow to face someone !! Your mom let's you play on the internet everyday !! Grow some balls and post your name and # ?!!

O wait cowards like you can't because your mom would be mad if she had to pay for you to be stitched up
Old 09-16-2014, 02:41 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Where's Michael Jackson and his popcorn when you need him?!?!
Old 09-16-2014, 02:43 PM
Redfish

Quote:
305 big lake rd 337 789 9002

No need to look ill go to you !!

Only coward like you talk s h it behind a screen name becaus your to yellow to face someone !! Your mom let's you play on the internet everyday !! Grow some balls and post your name and # ?!!

O wait cowards like you can't because your mom would be mad if she had to pay for you to be stitched up
Sounds like a great idea. I'll be staying at spicers last weekend of this month. Come on by duck. I'm sure you'll have an excuse for not showing up. Either way you'll know that I was looking for you if I don't find ya.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:49 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Sounds like a great idea. I'll be staying at spicers last weekend of this month. Come on by duck. I'm sure you'll have an excuse for not showing up. Either way you'll know that I was looking for you if I don't find ya.
Name
Date
Time

$1000 you will not show are your mom punished you or your dog died

Better yet I'll pay $1000 just to smash your aZZ flat in the mud !!!