SaltyCajun.com http://www.angler-products.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion

Freshwater Fishing Discussion For discussion of everything freshwater!

Old 05-08-2017, 07:50 PM
Redfish

Cash: 705
Default 45 Canal

Been fishing in the front of the Burns for the past few weeks and doing good. An old friend from high school said that she was coming in this weekend to visit her mother and asked if I would take her son fishing. Long story...short, she is a single mom who took the boy in off of the streets a few years ago. She attempts to take him fishing, mostly off of the bank in central Texas, so he really doesn't have much experience. I would love to take him perch jerking on the 45 and maybe even in the canals off of Cocaine Lake but not sure of the water clarity. Yesterday, while fishing the front I decided to take the trail that goes through what us LaGrange boys back in the late 70's used to call the "Lilly Pad Pond" and hit the Superior. Too much hyacinth to get through at the mouth of the Lilly Pad Pond. Anyone been back there? How is the water clarity and can I get to the canals off of Cocaine Lake? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:47 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,160

There's a significant hyacinth problem out there, definitely.
I ran the trail that connects the Superior Canal to the front on 4/27/17 with no problem. Compared to last year, it looked like the trail had been manually (??) cleaned of hyacinth but maybe a strong Westerly wind had blown it into the Superior Canal. Here's what the Superior looked like:
I spun my prop a few weeks ago in that junk. I can tell you that it takes 1 hr 40 min at 3mph to travel from the north part of the Superior Canal to the Gibbstown launch (in the dark...).
Thinking about going out there one afternoon this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk