SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion > Offshore Fishing Reports

Offshore Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite offshore spots here

Old 05-16-2010, 09:09 PM
Redfish

Cash: 664
Default From P-cola area - get it done before the oil arrives..

The crew met up at the ramp @ 0630 and off we were looking forward to the predicted 2-3's wave forecast. Nice smooth ride to the P-cola pass but lil did I expect the huge grounds swells that would greet us.
The WX missed it again and the predicted 2-3's turned into 4 - 5's with stiff east winds but we pressed on toward the edge. (28 mile south east of P-cola pass)
Very slow ride out to say the least
The crew would be Matt, Jeff and I and while Matt is a well seasoned angler this would be Jeff's first time offshore.
We arrived the edge @ 0845 with nothing but them ruby red lips and white snapper to show for our effort. Even the dang mingo boat wasn't fishing while at anchor so I took this as a bad sign and @ 11:00 the east winds began to ease some so we made our way to the Yellow Gravel. (32 mile mile south of the P-cola pass)
We hit several spots and finally found the scamp bite and a few mingo and of course several white snapper....Jeff was on fire and landed 2 nice keeper scamp on a chicken rig tipped with squid..Jeff also caught all the mingo and a nice keeper red grouper while Matt went 0 for 2 on the grouper pole but did manage to jigged up an Almaco and a scamp or 2....I was able to contribute a couple of scamp to the box but mostly manned the helm...To rough to anchor but did have some pretty sweet drifts not to fast lines kept vertical so can't complain too much...The return trip was much faster with following seas and entered the pass from the east avoiding those nasty large rollers....The calm bay was a pleasant site so we hammered down towards Shoreline to clean our not so overwhelming fish box...I'm still swaying a bit...lol
My camera didn't store our action shots for some reason (forgot the memory card) so all I can show is the table with some of our bounty of the day...
Final tally:
6 Scamp
1 Red Grouper 23"
1 small Almaco
4 lil mingo
8 lg white snapper not pictured

Jimmy
Old 05-16-2010, 09:11 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,167

Them Scamps are some good eatin'...
Old 05-16-2010, 09:27 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
Dem' scamp sandmiches were mighty tasty today!!!

Hope I get a chance to get out again before they shut us down...The area I was fishing was just bordering the closed portion of the gulf...Didn't see nor smell oil stuff...but forecast has west winds blowing for the next couple of days so we'll just have to wait and see....
I feel for my buddy captains out of Venice....
Jimmy
Old 05-16-2010, 09:28 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjam View Post
Dem' scamp sandmiches were mighty tasty today!!!

Hope I get a chance to get out again before they shut us down...The area I was fishing was just bordering the closed portion of the gulf...Didn't see nor smell oil stuff...but forecast has west winds blowing for the next couple of days so we'll just have to wait and see....
I feel for my buddy captains out of Venice....
Jimmy
Hope it don't affect you over there. It sucks to hafta look at the boat and not be able to use it.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:41 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 813

I'm hoping it doesn't get to yall......I'm going down there for vacation in late June.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:47 PM
Great White

We may be going in late July, if the weather and oil don't affect us. Perdido Key.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Redfish

Cash: 736
Default think same

Love scamps my favorite raw fish, sweetest meat in the gulf!

Nice catch guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
Old 05-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrost View Post
I'm hoping it doesn't get to yall......I'm going down there for vacation in late June.
cmdrost,

Shoot me a p.m. as the time get closer as you will be here during the snap season....If you have the time we can go get our limit in just a few hours and out of state license is like under $20.00...I make several trips during June and July so I'm sure I can slip you in for a quick in and out trip...Oh, I'm not a charter and the trip will be on me....Can't beat that now can ya? I took many La. visiting friends out last June and they had a blast....

Jimmy
Old 05-18-2010, 08:32 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjam View Post
cmdrost,

Shoot me a p.m. as the time get closer as you will be here during the snap season....If you have the time we can go get our limit in just a few hours and out of state license is like under $20.00...I make several trips during June and July so I'm sure I can slip you in for a quick in and out trip...Oh, I'm not a charter and the trip will be on me....Can't beat that now can ya? I took many La. visiting friends out last June and they had a blast....

Jimmy
How far are you guys from Gulf Shores? I'm heading there in August and was hoping to get a good fishing trip lined up for myself, my dad and my brother.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsidelandry View Post
How far are you guys from Gulf Shores? I'm heading there in August and was hoping to get a good fishing trip lined up for myself, my dad and my brother.
I'm about 45 minutes from OB but if you come in August and looking for a charter (I'm Not) I can hook you up for some deep dropping grouper fun aboard the Lickety Split out of OB beach....Capt brandon is his name and runs a 32 Cape with electric reels....
If I can help as the time nears, just give me a shout.

Jimmy