SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 07-18-2013, 10:06 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 2,645
Default Crabbing ?

Supposed to be going crabbing this weekend down near j.h. if anybody knows how the crabs are running it would be greatly appreciated. Went roughly a month ago and caught 10 dozen by 10:30am
Old 07-18-2013, 10:14 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,065

If I had my way I would own a camp in Pecan Island and only fish/shrimp/crab in the afternoons, except during the fall (coldfronts). This weekend there will be a hard outgoing tide in the afternoon, which is generally the case during the summer. Hard outgoing tide late in the afternoon. That is the best time to hammer the Reds, shrimp, and Crabs.

Most people would rather fish/shrimp/crab early in the morning though. Fish by the weather. By the time is going out so is their enthusiasm (myself included). Burnt, energy drained, and hornswaggled by the Horse-flies their is a mass exodus of fisherman around 1:00-3:00.

Fortunately it looks like there will be some incoming tide in the morning this weekend, so you might be alright.

Long story short moving tide = good no tide = bad.

Speaking in particulars I have a friend that went to the mudhole the other day and said the alligators were horrendous. She said as soon as that bait went in the water the lizards were swimming toward the bait.

I'm going out there tomorrow (in the morning). If I do anything I'll report back. Good luck.

Last edited by duck enticer; 07-18-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:24 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

My lil bro went yesterday to rockefeller and caught 4 dozen off the bank....they were big and full.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:43 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 2,645

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck enticer View Post
If I had my way I would own a camp in Pecan Island and only fish/shrimp/crab in the afternoons, except during the fall (coldfronts). This weekend there will be a hard outgoing tide in the afternoon, which is generally the case during the summer. Hard outgoing tide late in the afternoon. That is the best time to hammer the Reds, shrimp, and Crabs.

Most people would rather fish/shrimp/crab early in the morning though. Fish by the weather. By the time is going out so is their enthusiasm (myself included). Burnt, energy drained, and hornswaggled by the Horse-flies their is a mass exodus of fisherman around 1:00-3:00.

Fortunately it looks like there will be some incoming tide in the morning this weekend, so you might be alright.

Speaking in particulars I have a friend that went to the mudhole the other day and said the alligators were horrendous. She said as soon as that bait went in the water the lizards were swimming toward the bait.

I'm going out there tomorrow (in the morning). If I do anything I'll report back. Good luck.
Yeah i've figured out the tide situations over the past few years when it's moving it's good. I'm thinking prolly mudhole or weir behind lsu weir. Trying to go early just to beat the heat and catch what we catch. There is plenty weirs to duck off kinda on the east and west side. I know price lake road is close but I'll ride down that canal in the boat to get back there. I've never fished much over there so wouldnt know where to catch fish ....
Old 07-18-2013, 02:35 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,668

LSU damn we caught quite a few reds and specks only time I went Jus.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:39 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 720
Default Crabbing

Quote:

This man knows what he is talking about!
Old 07-19-2013, 09:20 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 552

New here...what's j.h.?

Thanks.

Never mind..ignore that. I found it ha!

Last edited by rdr5165; 07-19-2013 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Found my own answer.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:54 PM
Redfish

Cash: 893

j. h. is for joseph's harbor.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:10 AM
Trophy Trout

Went out of Rollover yesterday. Made a solo trip. Caught my 5 Reds and about 5 dozen crabs. I could've caught 12 dozen but I am not a glutton for punishment. The horseflies and fire ants were on their A game. I caught them in an hour right when the Tide started rolling out. About 5:00.

The fishing was tough. I saw very reds. I went to my can't miss holes and struck out for the first time ever. There is a large vacancy of fish in the marsh I fish. However, the endangered coastal sharks are making a come back. I went through a half-dozen shock leaders! I caught three and the rest cut me off... Once the sharks show up there goes the neighborhood. I wonder if they have run the Reds off? Hooked into a bonified 6' gar that proceeded to pull me around the marsh. Didn't have gun, didn't have long gaff and I was by myself. I went to work on him with a Louisville slugger and put a quarter sized hole in his head when my line popped. I know he died right there, and I tried to snag him but couldn't.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:27 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 792

Quote:

Do you use the Mermentau tide info? If so, how much do you add or subtract for JH?
Old 07-20-2013, 03:38 PM
Redfish

Cash: 978

Can you bring a gun to Rockefeller? I'm looking to catch some gar.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:47 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun bill View Post
Do you use the Mermentau tide info? If so, how much do you add or subtract for JH?
I use the Freshwater City locks and the Mermentau and average the two. It's okay.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:51 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull n Pray View Post
Can you bring a gun to Rockefeller? I'm looking to catch some gar.
I have been pretending like you can't without ever really checking the rules. I just did though and they are prohibited.

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/rockefe...or-regulations