SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 06-21-2009, 12:32 PM
Flounder

Cash: 650

Salty, no I don't think that it's right----in fact, I said I hadn't fished a tournament in many years because I don't agree with some of the rules...Weigh-ins can be a real "downer"...but, I can only control "me" and what I choose to do...not what "others" do...
Old 06-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Bottom line is bassmasters don't soak shiners!! Why should trout anglers soak croaker?
Old 06-21-2009, 12:57 PM
Flounder

W, I agree,,,but, Basmaster's are really trying to determine who is the "best" fisherman....unfortunately, most local tournaments are mainly interested in entry fees/fundraising/and payouts...!!! That's the nature of the beast...by eliminating "livies" you're reducing those entry fees..
Old 06-21-2009, 01:02 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JigSlinger View Post
W, I agree,,,but, Basmaster's are really trying to determine who is the "best" fisherman....unfortunately, most local tournaments are mainly interested in entry fees/fundraising/and payouts...!!! That's the nature of the beast...by eliminating "livies" you're reducing those entry fees..
You may be right...but livies dont prove anything or show any type of skill.....I spend countless days on the water before a tournament looking for big trout....and mostly beat out by a croakers soaker who never pre fished!!!....Nothing you can do and don't want to knock someone for fishing with live bait.....Just should,nt show up in tournaments.....Just my BEEF...
Old 06-21-2009, 01:03 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

i have fished both trout tours and bass tours.

Bass tours if you dont keep ur bass alive .25 deduction for 1, .50 for 2, .75 3, 1 lb for 4 fish after that i dunno.

speck tours- no death penalty just a bonus for alive

bass tours- no live bait

speck tours-live bait.

for local tours im worried about spanking the other peopl and putting some money in my pocket
Old 06-21-2009, 01:17 PM
Banned

I'm sure this is a touchy subject. Too many of these little events and big lake will end up like Rockport. A lot of big fish died for a few dollars so far this year on the lake, and I'm not sure that STAR isn't the number one culprit.

One thing about that live bait rule is that it's hard to enforce. The choice to boycott these kill/live bait tournaments is always there on the other hand.

It's not the fishermen's fault who are just playing by the rules set by the event coordinator. It was interesting to see the number of anchored boats with anglers sitting down with a line over the transom....ha ha
Old 06-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaAngler View Post
I'm sure this is a touchy subject. Too many of these little events and big lake will end up like Rockport. A lot of big fish died for a few dollars so far this year on the lake.

One thing I thought about is that live bait rule would be hard to enforce. The choice to boycott these kill/live bait tournaments is always there on the other hand.

Wait until Tomorrow....This post will hit 300 comments....
Old 06-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Thats not the FACT....
Wrong again reddy. You post up pictures of limits of juvy trout and brag about it with not one iota of concern for conservation. Yet some guy during a tournament catches a big trout on live bait and ya'll act like he just raped the resource and is killing off the species. I've said it before and I'm sure you will hear it again. You are a poser reddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Bottom line is bassmasters don't soak shiners!! Why should trout anglers soak croaker?
bassmasters are professional fisherman but don't think for a second that if they allowed live bait that none of them would use it. Don't like the tournet rules, don't fish it. Its just that simple.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:30 PM
Great White

i can out fish people that are using live bait easily in bass fishing.
i for one dont use live bait to bass fish. EVEN if i had the choice i still wouldn't use it.

dont call me a poser either, i have caught more bass then any 13 yr old should catch. i have a 5 mounted that i caught when i was 7.

ask wtretrievers the river i fish is TOUGH

that was to " too tall"
Old 06-21-2009, 01:31 PM
Redfish

Cash: 736
Default Yea---

Live bait is not used in BASS tourneys or the Redfish cup series. This is the only time of the years it is more efficient than artificail , mainly due to accessibilty to the live croakers/mullets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosska View Post
One thing that pissed me off a little more about the whole topic is the book Trout Masters. The book only has 3 good chapters and they happen to be on big lake anglers. I did enjoy reading these chapters but the rest of the book is dedicated to *%^#ing croaker soakers. To label these people as Trout Masters is a insult to the true angles of the book. I am gald this thread got started because I have been needing to vent on this topic for a while.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:35 PM
Banned

maybe one of the texas guys will comment on how most of the trout events down there are setting rules.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Here is the real deal....Their are only a hand full of Trout Masters in LA and none of them got popular by soaking croaker!!! They have what it takes to Trick the TROUT.....(most only catch take pic and release)..... You will never see a good trout fisherman winning tournament after tournament like bass anglers!! Reason they use artifical and can't compete with the Croaker soaker!!! Thats Facts......
You take out the live bait factor and I promise you would see more of the same guys in the top 10 than ever.......

I see a lot of Texas guys going against this..but ALL YOU TEXANS are Croaker and Shrimp soakers also.... Saw 4 flats with Texas # chunking Live Shrimp yesterday!!!
Old 06-21-2009, 03:43 PM
Banned

a lot of inshore tournaments in texas have gone to artificial only and that's a fact
Old 06-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Flounder

Most fishermen don't have the "time" to fish 3x's a week nor extensively pre-fish for a tournament,,,they rely on live bait as their "equalizer" against the guys who are fortunate enough to have the time to garner the experience necessary to win consistantly...Without that "edge", they may chose not to compete...That's a tough decision (live vs. artifical) but it's ultimately controlled by the Tournament Organizers ......!!
Old 06-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Redfish

Cash: 648

Quote:
Let me see if I got this right....You enter a tournament, knowing the rules....you decide to fish with artificals....you constantly get beat by folks who decide to fish differently than you....so, as a result, you belittle the winners and want all future tournament rules to be changed to conform to your method of fishing so that you'll have a better chance to win....!! Almost sounds like Obama's policies to redistribute the wealth.......Ain't this a Great Country!!!

Let me help you get it right.... I enter a tournament to test my skills, knowledge to find fish, and ability to adapt to the fishing conditions against others that would like to do the same. I fish with artifical lures because it is the weapon of true anglers which takes practice and ability to master. Do you see the anglers of the redfish cup, texas trout series, spectacular series, bass masters and flw tour throwing an anchor and soaking bait? NOPE! Why, because it would not be a true test of the angler. If these tournaments allowed people to soak bait you me or my three year old daughter would have the ability to compete with them. A tournament should be setup so that the anglers that come out on top are truly skilled anglers. It should be a tournament which requires skill to come out on top, not like a Lottery which is dependent on luck. Anyone can depend on a live bait and luck to make up for their lack of skill. I go out to compete against anglers not people who decide to fish in the Lottery. I have no problem not winning a tournament but I want to look at the leader board and say those were the true anglers of the tournament, not someone who depended on a live bait for the day. If I do not win, it shows I need to put in more time and work to better my abilities and chance to win. I do not have anything against anyone who chooses to fish with bait. I have used bait too, and depending on who I am fishing with (wife or kids) I am sure I will one day use it again. But, you will never see me use it in a tournament or competition. I will then depend on my true fishing abilities in which I think all others should have to depend on.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:30 PM
Redfish

Cash: 736

amen!!!
Old 06-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Flounder

You just re-enforced my position....if you don't like the rules, for whatever reason--don't fish,,,,it's your choice..!!! You and you alone decide what you want to fish with---don't blame it on others....maybe if enough people stop fishing these tournaments then maybe the Tournament Organizers will get the message and change the rules, but I doubt it..
Old 06-21-2009, 06:00 PM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

This is one of those things that unless the tournaments bans the live stuff those guys that use artificial will have to do one of two things: either use the live stuff or have a lot less % of winning. I find people that use artificial will do everything in their powers not to use the live stuff. Also, most that use the live stuff will you it 24/7/365. I myself, rather use plastics and catch 20 then use live and catch 30. Also, what about a tournament being at a particular venue where a certin person in the tournament field has fished the lake 100 times and another person in the tournament field has maybe only fished it 10 times. Them guess who has the bigger advantage? I guess it is not a perfect world.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:16 PM
Redfish

Cash: 652
FlagUS

Quote:
You just re-enforced my position....if you don't like the rules, for whatever reason--don't fish,,,,it's your choice..!!! You and you alone decide what you want to fish with---don't blame it on others....maybe if enough people stop fishing these tournaments then maybe the Tournament Organizers will get the message and change the rules, but I doubt it..
You maybe right..
Old 06-21-2009, 06:22 PM
Great White

i see it as i have blown my money on a few tours, lost to croaker soakers so....i doubt i fish many more unless it is artificial only. Thats why i rather bass tours NO LIVE BAIT.