SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion > Hunting Reports

Hunting Reports Read and share your hunting reports here!

Old 10-18-2010, 11:22 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 908
Churn 1st ever bow kill!!!!

I got my 1st ever bow kill Saturday morning around 9:10 and man was I excited!!! The morning didn't start out that great though so I had my doubts going into the hunt. We all left the camp to head to our spots and I jumped on my brother's bike with him so he could drop me off at my spot. We get about 1/2 a mile from the camp and his bike kills on us! We had to get my uncle to come pick me up so I could come back in the jeep, transfer our stuff from the bike to the jeep, then continue on our way. By the time we got to my spot it was already daylight and I still had to setup my climber on the tree. I get everything set up and get up in the tree, by this time it's around 7:45 so I'm thinking there's no way in **** I'm gonna see a deer much less shoot at one! I look at my phone and I have a text from my brother saying that he shot at a spike from the ground blind at his stand. Now I'm really starting to get anxious cuz I can't let little brother kill a deer with his x-bow and I don't kill one!!! At about 9:10 I catch a glimpse of something moving off to my right so I make sure not to move a muscle until I see it's eyes. I can see the legs under some brush then he puts his head down to munch on some shrubs and I see he has horns. He picked up his head and looked around a lil bit then munched on the ground again, that's when I moved my bow over to my right side and turned my body to get ready to stand and take the shot. He stepped out the brush and his head went behind a tree. I knew that was my chance. I got up, got into position and drew back. He started walking again and I let out a "buurp", he stopped in his tracks and I followed his leg up to the shoulder, put the pin right where I wanted it and let it fly. It all seemed slow motion, I saw the arrow fly and heard the much talked about "THWACK" and he went to crashing through the woods. I haven't been so excited since I killed my 1st deer when I was 7!! Tracked him to where he crossed the creek, went on the other side and found alot of blood. I looked to the left and saw him laying there. Timmy asked if he was dead and I said "I don't know" so I nocked an arrow. He got up and took a jump behind some trees where I couldn't get a shot, Tim said he could see him and he was wobbling, the deer jumped towards the woods and laid down. I had to shoot at him over a log and missed 3 times, hitting little branches on every shot that deflected my arrows. We walked away from him since it looked like he was going to die eventually. I stayed across the creek from him incase he would get up so I could see where he was going and Timmy went back to the camp to get his bow so we could put the deer out of it's misery if he hadn't died yet. When Timmy got back we walked back across the creek and found the deer dead next to a tree with 1 of my arrows planted in a tree right in front of him and the other 2 weren't far away. The result of the hunt was a 120 lb 5 point and a very happy new bowhunter!! I can now say that I am definately hooked on bow hunting and I think I may try to fill my tags with bow only this season. It made it even more exciting that I killed the deer out of a spot I picked out and set up with no help from anyone or anything!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Me and 5 point 2.jpg (55.9 KB, 153 views)
Old 10-18-2010, 11:30 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Hell yeah dude. I would like to get a bow but dont have the patience.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:33 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Damn bra!! Not bad at all!! Great story
Old 10-18-2010, 12:11 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 366

Nice going !
Old 10-18-2010, 12:19 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,258

nice kill man!!!
Old 10-18-2010, 02:32 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,002

your done now your hooked congrats on the kill.....totally different feeling than with a gun.....i shake like a little kid when they get close with my bow
Old 10-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsfence View Post
your done now your hooked congrats on the kill.....totally different feeling than with a gun.....i shake like a little kid when they get close with my bow
I don't get nervous til after I shoot, I've always been that way. Now after I shot Saturday morning you could've swore I shot the biggest buck ever seen I was so excited! lol It took me about 2 minutes to type "YES!!!!" to my wife cuz I was shaking so bad and couldn't hit the right keys! I am definately hooked and will probably give my rifle a break unless the season gets close to being over and I still have a few tags left to fill.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:45 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

nice job Ross..
Old 10-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Congrats Ross,
Just another addiction to deal with .
Nothing like up close and personal.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:01 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,545

You the man Ross!! Great report and congrats!! What a great feeling of accomplishment!!
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 10-18-2010, 03:12 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Nice dude. Last week, I stuck a big ole doe with my bow right before dark. Decided not to push her when I couldnt find much blood and went back around 9:30pm. Made a perfect shot right behind the shoulder. Went through and through. Found my arrow coated in blood from broadhead to fletching. Found where she laid down about 60 yards from where i hit her. Trailed blood for another 2-300 yards. Blood got weak and I never found her! Didnt have my dog with me or I prob would have found her. Last 2 deer I shot with my bow my dog found with very little blood. I hate when I cant get much blood. I shot her with a NAP Bloodrunner. Needless to say, I made the switch back to Muzzy.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:19 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 809

Nice deer buddy.
Glad you got one.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:24 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
Nice dude. Last week, I stuck a big ole doe with my bow right before dark. Decided not to push her when I couldnt find much blood and went back around 9:30pm. Made a perfect shot right behind the shoulder. Went through and through. Found my arrow coated in blood from broadhead to fletching. Found where she laid down about 60 yards from where i hit her. Trailed blood for another 2-300 yards. Blood got weak and I never found her! Didnt have my dog with me or I prob would have found her. Last 2 deer I shot with my bow my dog found with very little blood. I hate when I cant get much blood. I shot her with a NAP Bloodrunner. Needless to say, I made the switch back to Muzzy.
I'm shooting some Thunderheads. At first I was kinda worried cuz there wasn't much blood, just a drop every now and then. But once the arrow fell out there was good blood everywhere and he wasn't far from there.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:36 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsidelandry View Post
I'm shooting some Thunderheads. At first I was kinda worried cuz there wasn't much blood, just a drop every now and then. But once the arrow fell out there was good blood everywhere and he wasn't far from there.
ThunderHead is one of the all time best. First deer I ever killed with a bow was an 85 grain Thunderhead like 17-18 years ago.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

That's right brother! KILLEM ALL!!!!! How'd ya like that "THWACK"? If that don't get you're blood to boiling nothing will! Congrats!!!!!!!!
Old 10-18-2010, 06:51 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtretrievers View Post
That's right brother! KILLEM ALL!!!!! How'd ya like that "THWACK"? If that don't get you're blood to boiling nothing will! Congrats!!!!!!!!
Dude that was freakin AWESOME!!!!! I think I'm gonna try to fill my tags by bow this year. I have a couple different spots I can get with my climber for different wind scenarios so I'm thinking I may give it a shot this season. I'm gonna hit some public land to get 2 of my does since I can only kill 1 on our lease.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsidelandry View Post
Dude that was freakin AWESOME!!!!! I think I'm gonna try to fill my tags by bow this year. I have a couple different spots I can get with my climber for different wind scenarios so I'm thinking I may give it a shot this season. I'm gonna hit some public land to get 2 of my does since I can only kill 1 on our lease.
One thing bow hunting will do is teach you how to hunt, gun hunting is one thing, but bow hunting is getting up close & personal!
Old 10-18-2010, 07:15 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 717

Congrats!
Old 10-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 913

congats on your first bow kill. Now you are an addict.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:58 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,829

nice one man, reminds me of my first bow kill, congrats