SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 03-01-2013, 04:51 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedatiger View Post
you are just mad your little dink ruler won't work here in TX

going sunday and have a spot open... just saying.
We going catch 45 Sunday .... Me reed and darren
Old 03-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,978

Like Mathgeek said he didn't even mention the Spill or all the storms that have nailed the east side in the past 8 years. I find it real hard to believe that an estuary the size of Venice could be overfished with a rod and reel.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:26 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Can you see the roit in Grand Isle to Venice with a 6-7 trout limit...L M A O

Again .2 % catches 100% of the fish

Two weeks ago at Hebert (on a saturday ) the girl from WLF was doing a fish count

90 boats ...
3 guides had limit
Us and one other boat had limits ..
Rest were 3-8 trout per boat
that would be 6 or 9% actually depending on your standards not .2%

Im sure there were 90 boats launching from heberts in february
Old 03-01-2013, 05:34 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
that would be 6 or 9% actually depending on your standards not .2%

Im sure there were 90 boats launching from heberts in february
No..... Some from Cal point / Heberts....it was actually in January
Old 03-01-2013, 07:12 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 774

All this does is penalize the good trout fishermen. This isn't golf. There's no such thing as a handicap to keep everyone "equal", which is what they are trying to do.

They don't consider that, because a bunch of yahoos only caught 6 trout all day, maybe they're just lousy fishermen and that the trout stock is fine.

It's been said a thousand times, 10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish...
Old 03-01-2013, 07:26 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellaBlazer View Post
All this does is penalize the good trout fishermen. This isn't golf. There's no such thing as a handicap to keep everyone "equal", which is what they are trying to do.

They don't consider that, because a bunch of yahoos only caught 6 trout all day, maybe they're just lousy fishermen and that the trout stock is fine.

It's been said a thousand times, 10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish...

100% dead on... You have guys who big motor on reefs , throw anchors, think a pop n cork is the only way , slams boxes in boat, runs TM wide open, castnet on reefs , drives over fishing spot and turns around to fish it

But they catch 2 fish and stocks gone
Old 03-01-2013, 07:29 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

I would also love to see some evidence that the oil spill hurt the trout ..... Because Venice , Cocodrie , V Bay were not effected at all and Lake P
Old 03-01-2013, 07:55 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,733

I think everyone agrees that most of what they base al there numbers on is fuzzy at best.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:17 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 774

Quote:
I would also love to see some evidence that the oil spill hurt the trout ..... Because Venice , Cocodrie , V Bay were not effected at all and Lake P
I don't know about hard evidence, but we've had one of the best trout years in a while this year.

Trout aren't stupid. All they did was move when all this was going on. They flooded Barataria with the diversions, and the trout and bait moved to higher salinities to the west.

No fish will stay in an area that won't support it.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellaBlazer View Post
I don't know about hard evidence, but we've had one of the best trout years in a while this year.

Trout aren't stupid. All they did was move when all this was going on. They flooded Barataria with the diversions, and the trout and bait moved to higher salinities to the west.

No fish will stay in an area that won't support it.
yep.... but its Bush's fault

And with closing the areas for months from fishing.... Should of stocked up for years
Old 03-01-2013, 09:15 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,226

We've become our own worst enemy. To say that trout fishing is as good as it was 20 years ago is not facing the reality of fishing success, or lack there of, today. The presure placed on our resources of trout is infinitely higher than it was back then. I beleive that fishing presure has indeed impacted the fisheries. BL looks like a parking lot on weekends with all the boats beatin the waters. T Butte can have over 50 boats in a small area on calm days. Diamond not much better. The rigs out of
vermilion looks like LaFonda; you need a number to wait in line to fish live bait. Cocodrie is overcrowded on any given day.There are far more people fishing today than there were in the 80-90s.

History will repeat itself in trout fishing just as it did in bass fishing. There are too many competing for an over fished and over stressed trout population. Again, only my personal observations fishing trout for over forty years. I do agree that 10% of the fishermen out there do catch the majority of the fish. However there are 20 times better fishermen now than there were 20 years ago.

We are the custodians of our resources today. Every effort should be made to acknowledge what problems face our natural resources and act accordingly. Responsibilities lay with us to protect them. We need factual information by our WLF along with coastal scientific studies specific to trout populations made public. I just can't see our trout fishing taking the pounding it has over the past ten years continue without a colapse in this fisheries. Just MHO.....
Old 03-01-2013, 09:25 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

I have servers guide services on my facebook from the east side and during the summer,fall and spring months , they are posting limits of 100-125 trout by 9am almost everyday

No shortage in those locations
Old 03-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefman View Post
We've become our own worst enemy. To say that trout fishing is as good as it was 20 years ago is not facing the reality of fishing success, or lack there of, today. The presure placed on our resources of trout is infinitely higher than it was back then. I beleive that fishing presure has indeed impacted the fisheries. BL looks like a parking lot on weekends with all the boats beatin the waters. T Butte can have over 50 boats in a small area on calm days. Diamond not much better. The rigs out of
vermilion looks like LaFonda; you need a number to wait in line to fish live bait. Cocodrie is overcrowded on any given day.There are far more people fishing today than there were in the 80-90s.

History will repeat itself in trout fishing just as it did in bass fishing. There are too many competing for an over fished and over stressed trout population. Again, only my personal observations fishing trout for over forty years. I do agree that 10% of the fishermen out there do catch the majority of the fish. However there are 20 times better fishermen now than there were 20 years ago.

We are the custodians of our resources today. Every effort should be made to acknowledge what problems face our natural resources and act accordingly. Responsibilities lay with us to protect them. We need factual information by our WLF along with coastal scientific studies specific to trout populations made public. I just can't see our trout fishing taking the pounding it has over the past ten years continue without a colapse in this fisheries. Just MHO.....
Well said
Old 03-01-2013, 09:38 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
Well said
X 2 ...
Old 03-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,142

X3
Old 03-01-2013, 09:57 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,226

Quote:
I have servers guide services on my facebook from the east side and during the summer,fall and spring months , they are posting limits of 100-125 trout by 9am almost everyday

No shortage in those locations
Right you are W; however, look at what they're catching and how they're catching. Juvenile to maybe 14 inch fish. Guides reluctant to leave landing without live shrimp. Trout that haven't reached spawning age. It's a numbers game as you well know. I'll take 10 fish from BL or VB anyday over what the 25 they catch east of here. Do we really need to be catching 100 trout a day to call it a successful trip. Those guides might be catching a bunch now but look at the other 99.99% of fishermen in those same waters. They're not catching those numbers today like they did years ago.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefman View Post
Right you are W; however, look at what they're catching and how they're catching. Juvenile to maybe 14 inch fish. Guides reluctant to leave landing without live shrimp. Trout that haven't reached spawning age. It's a numbers game as you well know. I'll take 10 fish from BL or VB anyday over what the 25 they catch east of here. Do we really need to be catching 100 trout a day to call it a successful trip. Those guides might be catching a bunch now but look at the other 99.99% of fishermen in those same waters. They're not catching those numbers today like they did years ago.
I don't know how good Buras area is year round but I see Matt Caire with loads of 3-5lb trout all the time .

I also know that areas farther east have never been known for large trout like grand isle/ cocodrie and parts of Venice

Trout will spawn at least once before reaching legal size of 12inchs . One thing is for sure. They better have solid hard facts before reducing trout limits , because once they go down , they will never come back up.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:10 PM
Great White

Quote:
I don't know how good Buras area is year round but I see Matt Caire with loads of 3-5lb trout all the time .

I also know that areas farther east have never been known for large trout like grand isle/ cocodrie and parts of Venice

Trout will spawn at least once before reaching legal size of 12inchs . One thing is for sure. They better have solid hard facts before reducing trout limits , because once they go down , they will never come back up.
Never say never....look what they are doing with bass limits. Cajuns will be able to keep 10" bass.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,142

Size is coming up in cocodrie. Grand isle has always been a 16" fish heaven. Venice size has gone down......used to be known for hogs......who really knows the reasons.....pressure has risen TREMENDOUSLY in he last 7-8 years......thats when the changes started
Old 03-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Great White

Loss of habitat for the young fish has a huge effect as well....