SaltyCajun.com http://www.matrixshad.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 07-11-2013, 11:36 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535
Default Schooling Reds in BL

Anybody been seeing schooling reds in big lake? If so, do they tend to be on the south end? I want to try to take my kids out Saturday evening.

If you know of any place where I can put them on a red (size is not important) please let me know. The last two times I have been down there my kids have not been happy at all with Dad's Guiding Service.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:38 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

You should have no problem catching reds at jetties

I have not seen many schools in lake lately, usually they do start showing up this time till later Sept
Old 07-11-2013, 11:38 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Haven't been lately but usually the reds are fast moving and sometimes can be tough to get on. Try in the lake maybe around the washout area. Of if its calm jetties should be productive.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:43 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,486

Incidentally, is there a way to distinguish bird-working red and trout schools in Big Lake without a)seeing reds on surface b) catching a red?

I'm talking about bird behavior or other clues that would tip you off even before making a cast, saying "OK that's a school of reds. You can tell by x. If it was trout you could tell by Y"

We hardly ever have schooling reds over here - except for the bulls beginning about right now on the beaches of Last Island.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:47 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,569

Today
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373561250.823525.jpg
Old 07-11-2013, 12:00 PM
Flounder

Cash: 589

Did you cast into those reds or did you just take a picture?
Old 07-11-2013, 01:30 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,569

I'm at work, I friend of mine sent me a pic and a couple videos from this morning. Don't know how to load the videos
Old 07-11-2013, 01:59 PM
Flounder

Cash: 613

Birds have a tendency to move along more quickly over redfish schools or mixed big trout and redfish schools than they do over schooling smaller trout. But that axiom doesn't always remain a constant. Sometimes you can approach the east bank in places from Hebert's to the weirs and find them tailing or.moving, but the best bet is the jetties.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 07-11-2013, 02:20 PM
Redfish

Cash: 984

I got into a school of reds by the washout 3 weeks ago. I stayed on them for a couple hours. A boat ran right through the middle of the school and I caught one where he passed, right after he passed. Boats dont seem to shut Reds bite down. The all seemed to be 29in. None under 27.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:32 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

Thanks, I will hit the jetties and keep my eyes open for schools near the washout.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,524

Are you guys talking about the Cameron jetties?
Old 07-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Yes
Old 07-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Redfish

Cash: 984

I was fishing my normal speck spot when I noticed clouds of muddy water in the water from the reds stirring up the bottom, casted and hooked up. Later I had to move cause of rain. Got back after the rain and saw one bird dive which helped me locate them and sure enough they were still in the area and I got into them again.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:47 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,486

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
Yes
So, they'll be schooled up on or near the surface in open water in the vicinity of the jetties? Or schooled up actually on the jetties, where they're caught using traditional methods?

Thanks for answering!
Old 07-12-2013, 01:10 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,286

I fished the jetties for the first time on July 4 and caught 8 specks with my son. Live shrimp under a cork Taking the wife and daughter tomorrow again to the jetties and Mama wants to catch redfish.

We were in the channel on the West side.
Where should we try?
Cast towards the channel & use what bait?

If mama ain't happy no ones happy.

Thanks
Big ND Fan
Old 07-12-2013, 01:37 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightwindow View Post
So, they'll be schooled up on or near the surface in open water in the vicinity of the jetties? Or schooled up actually on the jetties, where they're caught using traditional methods?

Thanks for answering!
I haven't fished the jetties in years. I don't really target redfish. But when I have fished there I have had best luck on reds on channel side of the west jetty on Gulp shrimp on 1/4 oz jighead.

East bank around basket reef (b/w 1st and 2nd weir south of Hebert's) is a good area for reds this time of year, just drift the bank with topwaters or gulps.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:19 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 557

Headed that way in the morning. I will post and let y'all know.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:34 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,917

Usually its reds under birds if they are moving at a good speed. There may be trout mixed in, but if you gotta keep that trolling motor on high to keep up then its most likely reds.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:44 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

The attached map shows what I regard as the most promising locations for redfish at the Calcasieu Jetties, especially on falling tides. First the theory:

1. Theory of fishing with children: they want action, but do not bring a lot of skill or quiet or patience to the party. They are much better at letting a line to the bottom than casting into a school at the top or casting a popping cork close to structure without getting constantly tangled. Bottom fishing at the jetties is much more resistant to their bumping and bonking and much less dependent on casting skills. The captain must learn to put the boat in a good position and hold it there.

2. Theory of redfish on a falling tide: the fish are ambushing bait and you need to find a spot where the current is bringing bait. Any bottom structure that is different from the surrounding area can be good. A fishfinder can be very valuable, but you can also do a lot just by letting lines to the bottom at various spots and learning where the changes are.

Location descriptions:

1. A family favorite inside the channel. There is a shelf about 100 yards north of the green channel marker. Some guys wade fish for specks in the shallower water. We like the spot about 20-25 ft deep where the channel transitions to the shelf. When there is a very brisk current in the channel, the flow on the shelf is much slower so it is an easy spot for redfish to hang out and ambush stuff.

2. Just inside the cut, either a bit north or a bit south on the west side. There is a bit of bottom variation here and just enough of the current flows out of the cut to create a couple of holes and eddys where the bait stalls.

3. Just outside the cut, either a bit north or a bit south, but out of the fastest current flow to where you can imagine bait being swept along by the current suddenly finding more still water and sinking to the waiting redfish on the bottom. Sonar can help find the sweet spots from the bottom contours, but a sharp eye on the current can find them also.

4. Any spot along the far outside edge of the rocks can be pretty good. This is the best spot if you have to pick a spot without any definite bottom features. Either the east side or the west side can be pretty good.

5. This is our all time favorite spot when conditions allow. There is a hole about 20 ft deep a bit west of half way between the end of the rocks and the green channel marker. Sit tight on top of the hole or wherever you need to be so the current carries your bait into the hole. There are a lot of rocks down there, so keep the bait 1-2 ft off the bottom to reduce snags. It is madness how many fish you can catch in this spot.

6. Same as 4, other side. Pick the downwind side.

Bait: cracked crab outfishes everything else. Crab claws or whole smaller crabs work also, especially if the hardheads are devouring the cracked crab. We've fished a lot of cut mullet also, but mullet catches mostly gafftops. We've caught at least 20 redfish on crab for every one caught on mullet.

Tackle: stout pole with 30-50 lb power pro. Leave the Zebcos at home.

Other amusements: Some days it may be all black drum and gafftops, but these will provide children with lots of fun and break the boredom while waiting for the redfish to show up.

Popping cork: I go back and forth regarding whether to put the boat close enough to the jetties to cast a popping cork alongside the rocks. The risk here is that there are still a lot of rocks on the bottom if you're this close and the folks bottom fishing are going to have a lot of snags. With children, I lean toward being just out of casting distance to the jetties, which almost always helps the children turn the fish before it reaches the rocks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Calcasieu Jetties Bull Redfish Locations.JPG (25.5 KB, 559 views)
Old 07-13-2013, 06:16 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Never thought is see such a thorough write up on jetti fishing! Thanks!