SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CalcasieuExtremeRods

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 07-13-2013, 06:38 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
Never thought is see such a thorough write up on jetti fishing! Thanks!
Lol MathGeek went hard on Jetties!!

Rule of thumb
Incoming tide fish inside rocks, out going tide fish outside rocks
Old 07-13-2013, 02:54 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

Mathgeek and others. Thanks for the info.

Hell, I s*uck so bad I need to be in Mathgeek's class to catch anything.

I took the kids this morning and tried to fish near the end and on the outside of the east jetty. Man, that current was ripping. I was probably in the wrong place. We didn't catch anything. I had three kids with me and so fishing myself was impossible. I was constantly tying and retying lines and rigs. Kids were snagged on rocks, the bottom, anchor rope, each other and spent most of the time dropping their rods and running around the center console screaming to get away from a bumble bee that was checking them out. I thought I was gonna blow a gasket. I'm gonna have to take one kid at a time or teach them how to tie their own rigs.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:03 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 9,671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidellkid View Post

I took the kids this morning and tried to fish near the end and on the outside of the east jetty. Man, that current was ripping. I was probably in the wrong place. We didn't catch anything. I had three kids with me and so fishing myself was impossible. I was constantly tying and retying lines and rigs. Kids were snagged on rocks, the bottom, anchor rope, each other and spent most of the time dropping their rods and running around the center console screaming to get away from a bumble bee that was checking them out. I thought I was gonna blow a gasket. I'm gonna have to take one kid at a time or teach them how to tie their own rigs.
So I take it u don't wanna be a guide? Lol
Old 07-13-2013, 04:23 PM
Red Snapper

You know Jared, I thought about you this morning and was wondering how you do it. Not only do guides have the responsibility of finding fish day after day but they have to deal with all kinds of folks, adults and children alike, that can't tie on a hook or can't cast.

It must get awfully trying at times.

My kids are so tired of me taking them fishing and not catching anything I am going to have to hire you to keep their interest up in fishing!
Old 07-13-2013, 06:16 PM
Flounder

Cash: 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadams View Post
So I take it u don't wanna be a guide? Lol

Hey J , maybe MathGeek can show you how to make true fishing report posts. Insteed of those "brag" pic only posts!

Just messing with ya!
Old 07-13-2013, 06:21 PM
King Mackeral

Brag reports?? I call it advertisement...why would I tell the Internet where I fish when I do this for a living
Old 07-13-2013, 06:39 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,486

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortrax35 View Post
Hey J , maybe MathGeek can show you how to make true fishing report posts. Insteed of those "brag" pic only posts!

Just messing with ya!
I'd just love it if Jared didn't make his reports. Who wants to see what's possible out there with a few details! That'd be just awful. After all, sooo many people give detailed reports all the time.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:45 PM
King Mackeral

Here's what u do then don't click on my reports if u don't like em...
Old 07-13-2013, 06:52 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidellkid View Post

I'm not sure why, but our success outside the east jetty has been closer to the midpoint between the cut and the end rather than between the end and the red channel marker. I'm not sure if there just isn't a hole over there or if we haven't found the sweet spot or if the hole is over a spot where the current is so strong we can never put the bait in the hole. Outside the east jetty, the bait is finding a mud/sand bottom in the good spots rather than sitting on submerged jetty rocks.

Also, if the current is so strong a 4 or 6 oz sinker won't take your bait to the bottom, you probably need to adjust your location a bit so it will, probably further west on the west side (outside) and further east on the east side. There are times when the current in the channel is so strong that the flat (location 1 in the picture) is the only fishable location in the channel.

The jetties are hard to fish with children. When I was a child, the jetties were our favorite spot, but my dad would only take us on the calmest days, and we broke off a lot of fish, because he left the rigging and knot tying to us. Now, I take care of all the rigging, because fresh uni knots are important to landing nearly every fish once it is hooked well. My own children (12-14 now) are pretty tough, so we take a good long look and I get their input regarding whether they are willing to go and when they have had enough and want to go back in. I can take all three and we can fish 6-8 rods total because every angler knows exactly what there role is when someone hooks up. When a big fish is on, the children quickly reel all the other rods in, make them "safe" (put the hook in an eyelet with a bit of tension and get the rod in a holder), a "net man" is selected, and everyone else takes care to keep the boat balanced and be ready to assist of the fish gets into the anchor line, etc. Last time, we actually managed to land a few doubles (two hooked up at the same time) and also not lose several by passing rods under the anchor line to get the fish free.

But in their less experienced years, more than two was not easy, especially when targeting big fish or fishing rough water. I remember my son's first muskellunge (19 lbs 39"). We landed the fish, but it took me 45 minutes to untangle the lines (even cutting and retying), and I think we were only fishing 4-5 lines that evening.

We were fishing the pass at Grand Isle this week, and I got stung by a wasp putting the first bait out. Well, before everyone could get their baits out, I was hooked up with a big (38") redfish. The adrenaline totally nullified the pain and swelling of the sting. About half way through the battle, I couple of boats stopped to watch, honking their congratulations when we finally got it netted.

Once you learn the subtleties, you will consistently do well at the Cameron jetties. In five trips this year, we have boated 22 bull redfish and 3 black drum. There are stretches when you get a lot more black drum and gafftops too. Since we've been fishing the jetties regularly since 2000, we have never been skunked, with our worst day being a dozen big gafftops, two of which are pending Louisiana top ten records (3rd and 6th, I think). You can also add fish to the box with a live shrimp under a popping cork along the rocks, but the wind and current make this a high maintenance deal, and it is hard to manage a crab on the bottom at the same time.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:56 PM
Red Snapper

Thanks for your help MG.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:38 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
Brag reports?? I call it advertisement...why would I tell the Internet where I fish when I do this for a living
You don't have to tell anyone where you fish. But it would be nice if you said "something". How about talk about your clients, how they enjoyed themselves, what the weather and water was like, what was the bait of choice for that day. Just anything to show you enjoy what you do for a living. Instead of how it only matters if you limit out. That's what it seems like anyway, when we only see a dock shot. Everyone including myself, knows your a great fisherman. Just give us a few words is all.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:55 PM
King Mackeral

I used to do all that and the reason I quit is bc wjen u post any info on this site u get 10 Pms asking questions etc... I have 2 jobs get at least 5 calls a day about fishing and at end of day I don't feel like makin a report...all my clients get the full spill on the lake when we fish but when u try to be helpful it gets abused so I quit. Now I just post to show the catch sorry but that's just what I'm doing.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:00 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,749

^i agree with ya on that one Jared!^

Sent from an Apple Tree..
Old 07-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Ling

Cash: 505

Quote:
I used to do all that and the reason I quit is bc wjen u post any info on this site u get 10 Pms asking questions etc... I have 2 jobs get at least 5 calls a day about fishing and at end of day I don't feel like makin a report...all my clients get the full spill on the lake when we fish but when u try to be helpful it gets abused so I quit. Now I just post to show the catch sorry but that's just what I'm doing.
I dont blame u one bit jared....

Samsung Galaxy S3 (Android dominating the world!)
Old 07-13-2013, 09:02 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:

Yeah, I can understand where you're coming from. Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:10 AM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:

Yeah, FREE advertisement. If you were a site sponsor....no one could say a word about your "advertisement".
Old 07-14-2013, 02:04 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Yeah, FREE advertisement. If you were a site sponsor....no one could say a word about your "advertisement".

are you a sponsor Salty?
Old 07-14-2013, 03:09 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

I think we all advertise our own interests in our own way, be they our businesses, our political views, our favored charities, our faith based views, possibly even putting in a good word for businesses owned by family and friends. There is nothing wrong with that if kept within the forum guidelines.

I choose to communicate a lot of details because I see the contest as with the fish rather than the other fishermen, because I am grateful with those who have been open with sharing information with me, and because I have a keen interest in seeing fishing passed along to the next generation. The greatest threat to fishing is not over harvest, but rather overregulation pushed by environmental extremists and the PETA (anti hunting) crowd. The long term political viability of sport fishing depends on recruiting large numbers of future voters into the next generation of recreational anglers. Getting skunked too many times as a youth is counterproductive.

At the same time, I do not divulge information that damages my own business in the long run, so I respect other businessmen choosing to do the same. All info shared on discussion forums is valuable even if limited to a few pictures and the general time and location where they are caught. I think gentle, respectful inquiries are more appropriate than berating contributors who feel they need to keep certain details private. Take the hint and be polite if your inquiries do not yield the information you are hoping for.

If you really want detailed information, then spend many days and hours and dollars in equipment, fuel, bait, etc. and compile many, many days on the water. Then post all the details here for the other forum participants to benefit from, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets: "Do to others as you would have them do to you." Give away your best fishing spots, your favorite hunting spots, your most productive techniques if you would want others to do the same.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:34 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
are you a sponsor Salty?

No. Why do you ask?
Old 07-14-2013, 03:35 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
I think we all advertise our own interests in our own way, be they our businesses, our political views, our favored charities, our faith based views, possibly even putting in a good word for businesses owned by family and friends. There is nothing wrong with that if kept within the forum guidelines.

I choose to communicate a lot of details because I see the contest as with the fish rather than the other fishermen, because I am grateful with those who have been open with sharing information with me, and because I have a keen interest in seeing fishing passed along to the next generation. The greatest threat to fishing is not over harvest, but rather overregulation pushed by environmental extremists and the PETA (anti hunting) crowd. The long term political viability of sport fishing depends on recruiting large numbers of future voters into the next generation of recreational anglers. Getting skunked too many times as a youth is counterproductive.

At the same time, I do not divulge information that damages my own business in the long run, so I respect other businessmen choosing to do the same. All info shared on discussion forums is valuable even if limited to a few pictures and the general time and location where they are caught. I think gentle, respectful inquiries are more appropriate than berating contributors who feel they need to keep certain details private. Take the hint and be polite if your inquiries do not yield the information you are hoping for.

If you really want detailed information, then spend many days and hours and dollars in equipment, fuel, bait, etc. and compile many, many days on the water. Then post all the details here for the other forum participants to benefit from, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets: "Do to others as you would have them do to you." Give away your best fishing spots, your favorite hunting spots, your most productive techniques if you would want others to do the same.

Good stuff, MG.