SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > Gardening & Farming Forum

Gardening & Farming Forum Use this forum to discuss Gardening and Farming.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:33 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354
Default Global warming ????

I have noticed the last few years the sooner tomato's are planted the better they make and the longer the growing season ... Last year I started picking from containers April 1 and picked into July in garden ....Last few years tomato's I plant in mid March just don't do as good as the first ones I plant in early Feb...I grow all the eggplant in half barrels I want but nothing in garden...Same with peppers ...Maybe this global warming is for real ???????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28467757_1689865457739060_6092285007618356169_n.jpg (91.6 KB, 192 views)
Old 02-25-2018, 11:30 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,124

We ahd a very hard winter hard freezes snow twice and sadly our nanners and a citrus tree or 2 froze to the ground. Hard to think about warning even though its been warm for a couple weeks when winter is so hard it freezes 10 year old trees. Some times warm sometimes cold and life goes on maybe we can grow nanners every year if it warms or apple trees if it cools off. global warming?? coming of the overdue ice age?? aint gonna worry bout it and try to get by.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:20 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

The earth naturally goes through cycles of warming and cooling.

Maybe it's warming faster than usual, maybe not.

The term "global warming" is a joke. Even "climate change" is a joke, because the climate isn't static. It's always changing. If they want to be accurate, "accelerated climate change" makes more sense, but it doesn't scare people as easily, because it implies the truth--that the climate is always changing, but perhaps humans are having a more pronounced effect on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2018, 11:01 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
perhaps humans are having a more pronounced effect on it.

1 volcanic eruption trumps anything we can do. Not to mention, it's only liberal Americans that are falling for this Al Gore BS. The rest of the world could give two dog turds. But props to old Al for cashing in, wish I would have thought of it first.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:11 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
1 volcanic eruption trumps anything we can do. Not to mention, it's only liberal Americans that are falling for this Al Gore BS. The rest of the world could give two dog turds. But props to old Al for cashing in, wish I would have thought of it first.

The funny thing to me has always been all this push against greenhouse gases and emissions, yet we have concrete and steel jungles covering the planet. People want to blame others for the environment, all while sitting in their cozy high-rise apartments in big cities, acting as if they aren't contributing to the issues.

You can't turn large areas of the planet into largely vegetation-less deserts and think it doesn't affect the climate. There's a reason the leaves start turning later in Central Park than other parts of New York.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:34 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
We ahd a very hard winter hard freezes snow twice and sadly our nanners and a citrus tree or 2 froze to the ground. Hard to think about warning even though its been warm for a couple weeks when winter is so hard it freezes 10 year old trees. Some times warm sometimes cold and life goes on maybe we can grow nanners every year if it warms or apple trees if it cools off. global warming?? coming of the overdue ice age?? aint gonna worry bout it and try to get by.

My little trees took a beating with the freeze. I cut back all of the dead spots and now my trees are little nubs. Only 1 fig and 1 loquat are growing new leaves as of now. I'm uncertain if I should start replacing them or fertilize them and give them a few months to see if they recover. All I know is I need to reevaluate my freeze protection methods. Pipe insulation on the trunks obviously wasn't sufficient. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post

The funny thing to me has always been all this push against greenhouse gases and emissions, yet we have concrete and steel jungles covering the planet. People want to blame others for the environment, all while sitting in their cozy high-rise apartments in big cities, acting as if they aren't contributing to the issues.

You can't turn large areas of the planet into largely vegetation-less deserts and think it doesn't affect the climate. There's a reason the leaves start turning later in Central Park than other parts of New York.

But that doesn't fit the agenda, so get outta here with all that logic!
Old 02-28-2018, 03:54 PM
Red Snapper

The LSU Ag site says dont trim or fertilize yet. Our beloved lemon monster looked dead. This morning it has lots of green shoots and buds and may survive. The Ag center said dont fertilize froze trees let em recover on their own. our naval orange still looks dead but I have a wait and see atitude. Strangely the satsumas look fine all leafed out green and blooming go figure.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:15 PM
Red Snapper

Satsumas take the lower temps.better . I planted grapefruit , satsuma , and naval orange first year I bought my house . All froze that winter . Satsuma came back but only made hollow fruit for 5 years . Cut it down . The other two sprouted back above the graft and were fine . Give them a while longer and if they come back remove any branches that don't sprout back...If they sprout back below the graft cut it down . All you will have is sour fruit.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:40 PM
Red Snapper

yea Buba that goes for any grafted tree anything below the graft wont be the same.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:40 PM
Red Snapper

I just checked my orange tree ...2/3rds is dead ...The rest is leafing out with blossoms . Lemon is leafing out 3/4 with no blossoms yet .
Old 03-01-2018, 12:04 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

My trees are about the same as everyone described.

I noticed today that my grapefruit and Satsuma have a few flowers starting to open up.

My Orange tree, is only showing growth on the lower 1/4 branches. I am hoping the new growth starts sprouting farther up the tree. This tree is about 9' tall and 8'+ wide.

I will wait a few more week to see how all the plants grow, before doing some trimming off dead branches.

I gave all my fruit trees about 1/2 the normal fertilizer a week ago. I hope I was not too early doing that.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:37 AM
Ling

Ooops..... I should have read this yesterday. I put about 1/2 to 3/4 lb of fertilizer on each tree last night. One of my Satsuma has some green sprouts coming up off the main trunk a few inches above the graft. Besides that and the ones I mentioned above, everything else is still bare.

On another note, this auger bit made fertilizing a breeze. I knocked out 11 trees in about 20 minutes while holding a beer in the other hand.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:26 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
Ooops..... I should have read this yesterday. I put about 1/2 to 3/4 lb of fertilizer on each tree last night. One of my Satsuma has some green sprouts coming up off the main trunk a few inches above the graft. Besides that and the ones I mentioned above, everything else is still bare.

On another note, this auger bit made fertilizing a breeze. I knocked out 11 trees in about 20 minutes while holding a beer in the other hand.

Using an auger sounds like a good idea. I looked on Amazon and most of them are 1 3/4" diameter..... finally found one that was 1 1/4" [like yours in the picture]. That size sound like it would be a little larger than what would be needed and might do a little root damage.

What was your experience? Any comments?
Old 03-01-2018, 10:25 PM
Ling

I think it worked great. It is a bit bigger than what is needed, but overall it worked exactly as I had expected. I drilled the holes to the depths of the threads and didn’t hit any roots.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:42 AM
Red Snapper

Thats what I use a home made dibblin stick i sink it then waddle it around and the hole fits 1 lb of 13-13-13

Here's a lil more info on how I do it:
http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/2...row-again.html