SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 08-31-2009, 07:14 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,503
Default attracting deer

i know most of you fish mostly but maybe some of you hunt as well? i never fed deer before but i put up a feeder this summer and i got only a couple of does in on just corn. i have put a lot of corn and most of it is eaten by hogs and coons. is there something i could put out to mainly attract deer? like some kind of liquid or something? i usually hunt marsh and dont feed deer but i got in on a lease which is mostly woods and looking for some advise.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:25 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 650

Put some deer cocaine, ric bran and try some come'er deer(spelling?) We have had good luck with those. If you have hogs were you hunt, be prepared to buy ALOT of corn, they will root it up. Coons will eat it up as well but the deer will eat with the coons. The hogs usually run the deer off from the corn. Those are some we have had luck with but go out and just try stuff. Good Luck!
Old 08-31-2009, 07:42 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535
Default Feeding Deer

Corn works well, but if your coons and hogs are eating it you will go broke feeding corn. You might consider trapping some of your hogs and coons. You might give rice bran a try, not sure if hogs like it. Also, when it gets cold, horse feed works real well too. Good news though, when the acorns start dropping you just need to find some trees that are dropping with deer crap underneath and you will be golden. Deer will walk over a corn pile getting to a good acorn crop. Unlike corn where the deer can feed and be done in five minues, deer have to hunt and peck a little bit more for acorns and it causes them to move longer into the mornings and evenings. While all your buddies are sitting over there corn piles come mid-October, you will be putting the smack on them if you find some hot acorn trees. You'll know a good tree when you find it as the leaves will be all churned up and there will be deer crap everywhere. Good luck.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:18 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,503

where do you get rice bran? thanks for the advise
Old 08-31-2009, 09:30 PM
Trophy Trout

You can get rice bran, usually at any feed store. Also I dont know where you live but Sportsmans has it most of the time. Thats on scenic hwy/ hwy 61.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:31 PM
Trophy Trout

Also if they dont eat the rice bran straight like it is, trying mixing it with the corn.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:52 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 700

Rice bran is some good stuff. Other animals will mess with it also but not like they do corn. It is also better for deer as it has a high fat content. You can get 50lbs. for about 6-7 dollars. Just pour it out in one big pile. The rain does not hurt it as it will form a thin crust on top and the deer will still eat it. Come December at our lease the deer will eat a 50lb. sack in 1-2 nights. Another trick you can try if the deer are not used to eating it is is to mix in 2 packs of strawberry jello into the rice bran. The smell will help them find it quicker.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

That's a cool trick with the strawberry jello in the rice bran, I'll have to try that.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:05 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidellkid View Post
That's a cool trick with the strawberry jello in the rice bran, I'll have to try that.
My dad started that about 6 years ago when we had property in east texas. The deer were not used to rice bran and took them a little while to eat it so he tried to mix in the powdered jello. They started tearing it up. He called it "magic dust". I thought he was crazy but he carried a grocery bag into his stand every time he went and poured out a pile within bow range. He killed alot of deer this way.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:58 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,752

Deer love that rice bran but hogs will tear up the rice bran too.