SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 04-24-2016, 08:43 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,213
Default Turkeys whipped me this year

Seems like one of those seasons where nothing goes right. Stayed when I shoulda moved, Moved when I shoulda stayed, Called too much, Called not enough, Tried to get to close, Didn't get close enough.... the list of what if I'd done this or tried that is endless. There is just no way to get inside a turkey's head or make him do something he doesn't want to do. They really frustrate me at times but I still love it

Hunt#4- Gobbler came down off the roost with 3 hens, didn't want nothing to do with me or my calling but slipped by at about 60 yards, I only had a modified choke in(I know stupid me) so I didn't try him. One of the hens got within about 5 yards of me so that was pretty cool. About 45 minutes after they had all moved on I peeked out and seen the group about 80 yards down the road, got impatient and tried to crawl closer and bumped them. Stupid mistake

Hunt#5- One started gobbling about 9am about 250 yards away, he only gobbled 3 or 4 times total. Tried to go to him with no luck. Wish now I would have tried to get around in front of him instead. Did kill 2 pigs on the way out though

Hunt#6(today)- Last day, last chance. Found one gobbling on his own about 8am, set up and let him toy with me for about 1hr, coming closer, moving farther, coming closer, moving farther. Finally gave up on him and walked a couple more blocks out seeing/hearing nothing. Walked back to where I was messing with that stupid turkey earlier and he gobbled, I had no more patience for him and was gonna just go home when a new one gobbled off to my left about 200 yards. I set up on him and yelped once more so he could pinpoint me and he had cut the distance in half within about 5 minutes!! Coming in hot(so I thought) I just knew any minute I'd see that red head bobbing thru the woods but it wasn't meant to be. Stayed another 30 minutes never seen or heard him again.

In a way I'm glad the seasons over but in another way I can't wait to do it all again next year!!!
Old 04-24-2016, 11:32 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,109

Man they are hard to hunt when they come in quiet. Sit for 2-3 hours waiting and never see him and as soon as you get up bam your busted.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:36 PM
Trophy Trout

they aint on our time line all they have to do all day is be turkeys.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:30 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,686

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Babaz View Post
Stayed when I shoulda moved, Moved when I shoulda stayed, Called too much, Called not enough, Tried to get to close, Didn't get close enough.... the list of what if I'd done this or tried that is endless. There is just no way to get inside a turkey's head or make him do something he doesn't want to do. They really frustrate me at times but I still love it
Sounds like some great time spent outdoors chasing turkeys! And some fresh pork!

Agree with the statement quoted. They frustrate the heck out of me but then sometimes it all turns around and comes together.

Ended up with the double with a buddy in Louisiana then I got back last night from NM trip where I tagged out Merriams. Heading to midwest in a week or so on annual trip there. Hopefully a few more gobbles to end out my season.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:18 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

Yeah, those birds are sharp. If they had a sence of smell equivilant to a deer, they would almost be impossible to kill.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:06 PM
Flounder

Cash: 532

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461614687.796918.jpg. This took 1.5 hours of waiting. He gobbled five times from daylight to 9:25.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2016, 04:45 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

Took us 4.5 hours waiting saturday morn

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2016, 10:09 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawl79 View Post
Sounds like some great time spent outdoors chasing turkeys! And some fresh pork!

Agree with the statement quoted. They frustrate the heck out of me but then sometimes it all turns around and comes together.

Ended up with the double with a buddy in Louisiana then I got back last night from NM trip where I tagged out Merriams. Heading to midwest in a week or so on annual trip there. Hopefully a few more gobbles to end out my season.
Yeah I read about your NM trip on BB, that sounds like a blast!! Congrats on a great year. Also to Perchman and Feesherman too, beautiful birds!!
Old 04-26-2016, 11:42 AM
Flounder

Cash: 566

Pat, I know where to find them Jive Turkeys. They're easy to sneak up on.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:58 PM
Redfish

Cash: 901
Default A good year

I got one in Mississippi this year and I just got back from Missouri. Wow, what a blast. We called up a bunch of birds up there. Turkey hunting is fine in the Mid West!

Thank you lord for good friends and good times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6391.jpg (171.1 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6469.jpg (136.4 KB, 84 views)
Old 04-27-2016, 01:08 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:

Where in the Midwest you headed? Me and a buddy are headed to Kansas in may to chase rio's.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:27 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFishKiller View Post
Pat, I know where to find them Jive Turkeys. They're easy to sneak up on.

Hanson, how do you call in a Jive Turkey?.... Wait don't answer that on SC, really
Old 04-27-2016, 09:40 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkieB View Post
Where in the Midwest you headed? Me and a buddy are headed to Kansas in may to chase rio's.
Will be in Kansas as well. May hit Nebraska while we are there depends on weather and birds. Last year was tough for me until the last full day of the hunt. Then the lights turned on and birds were out in fields strutting everywhere.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:37 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Will be in Kansas as well. May hit Nebraska while we are there depends on weather and birds. Last year was tough for me until the last full day of the hunt. Then the lights turned on and birds were out in fields strutting everywhere.
Goin with an outfitter or public?
Old 04-27-2016, 12:41 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkieB View Post
Goin with an outfitter or public?
Same 6 guys hunting public there for last 3 years. 4 from Bama and buddy and I from La.