SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CalcasieuExtremeRods

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > The Trading Floor (Investing, Stocks, Bonds)

The Trading Floor (Investing, Stocks, Bonds) Discuss investing and investments here! Do your own due diligence before investing. We are not responsible for any advice or recommendations within this forum!

Old 08-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Yall keep buying that Gold..... I buy brass in my favorite rounds!!! That gold is going fall like Obamas in a redneck. Pig roast
Gold is a staple in any balance portfolio, if your investment guy tells you otherwise, I question his abilities. No balance portfolio should EVER be in all equity positions investing 101.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckinchen View Post
Gold is a staple in any balance portfolio, if your investment guy tells you otherwise, I question his abilities. No balance portfolio should EVER be in all equity positions investing 101.

If you bought gold 5 years ago........Im not touching it at all......Its a snake...Im telling you........
Old 08-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
If you bought gold 5 years ago........Im not touching it at all......Its a snake...Im telling you........
I'm not in 100% gold, but some is not a bad play. The value of the dollar long term is questionable at best right now.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

Invest with me build a spec house in the highest appraisal neighborhood in Br. Excellent returns
Old 08-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Westerly neighbor

Cash: 3,534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
I sold out on the day of the "sell off?" Thread. Ill buy full force on the day after the market makes its first + gain.
Smart man! Personally, I'm not going to jump back in for a while, even if it starts trending upwards again. Several European countries are about to be in trouble, and it will affect our market as well. And we are about to go through all of this again when Congress faces another shutdown next month because they still have failed to draft a budget all year and the next deadline is looming. I'll probably buy back in on November 5, 2012.

Y'all can read again what I said about fools in this thread.

http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/show...ighlight=fools

Anyone who heeded my "non-advice", you're welcome.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpox View Post
Invest with me build a spec house in the highest appraisal neighborhood in Br. Excellent returns
Hey man, get off my turf! They need to invest in a greater oppurtunity...MY collision center!

Man, all you guys talkin bout stocks and sell-offs has me a little jealous...Every dime I am making right now, that doesn't go into life functions, goes back to my business...I mean EVERY DIME!!! I hope to see a rising trend over the course of the next few years with my investment though! You can each help by wrecking a car and trusting my company to make the repairs! Cash donations also help!

In all sincerity, I hope we can bounce back from what is looming overhead. European markets are not faring well right now nor, is Asian markets(as of yesterday). Some of the smarter people I know speculate that the dance they have been doing in DC has much to do with other markets flattening out and even falling by multiple percents.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

VXX
DPK
Old 08-04-2011, 06:12 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
Hey man, get off my turf! They need to invest in a greater oppurtunity...MY collision center!

Man, all you guys talkin bout stocks and sell-offs has me a little jealous...Every dime I am making right now, that doesn't go into life functions, goes back to my business...I mean EVERY DIME!!! I hope to see a rising trend over the course of the next few years with my investment though! You can each help by wrecking a car and trusting my company to make the repairs! Cash donations also help!

In all sincerity, I hope we can bounce back from what is looming overhead. European markets are not faring well right now nor, is Asian markets(as of yesterday). Some of the smarter people I know speculate that the dance they have been doing in DC has much to do with other markets flattening out and even falling by multiple percents.

You are right Corey, not much for us to complain about.
Investing in yourself right now is the best thing anyone can do.
Keep pushing dude! You are your best investment.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeddler View Post
You are right Corey, not much for us to complain about.
Investing in yourself right now is the best thing anyone can do.
Keep pushing dude! You are your best investment.
Well said, I have seen it over and over again. One of my clients started a business with 2K 9 years ago that he sold a couple of years ago for 20 million dollars. Not bad my friend.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Westerly neighbor

Quote:
VXX DPK
I'm confused what you're trying to say. VXX is down 80% in 1-year and DPK is down 50%. Casey, I think your skills and mine are still in demand...W invests in stocks that crash way harder than the indices, but still gets rich.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadMan View Post
I'm confused what you're trying to say. VXX is down 80% in 1-year and DPK is down 50%. Casey, I think your skills and mine are still in demand...W invests in stocks that crash way harder than the indices, but still gets rich.
No kidding, as an auditor I'm am trying to understand how he is making money without shorting these stocks but hey, maybe he is just that much smarter than us.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:32 PM
Westerly neighbor

LOL...you said "short"ing.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadMan View Post
both these stocks moved two days in a row.....I have been in them 3...told ya.. Stay away from Obama Stocks

Sold both with positive %%%%%%%
Old 08-04-2011, 07:41 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Thanks Chicken and Peddler for the kind and supportive words! It's tough to see the bottom line sometimes...Almost as tough as seeing a return on an investment. As a stock market uneducated man, it's hard to see if I'm doing right but, I feel like I am. Some say I should have stuck with welding... I did make a lot more money then but, with the way our area is growing, I see this industry doing great because growth will outrun infrastructure. I sure hope I'm right!
Old 08-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post

corey keep putting $ back in that business , all i did for a number of years was pump $ back in and work 50-60 hours/week. now its paying off for me. if you do honest work , dont get greedy, keep projects on time , and treat your customers like you would want someone to treat your grandmother you cant go wrong just stick with it your time is right around the corner dude . im busier now in a crappy building market than i was after katrina , people who would not give me the time of day during the boom are now beating down my door for us to do thier projects because of the good reputation ive build for the business.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:18 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpox View Post
corey keep putting $ back in that business , all i did for a number of years was pump $ back in and work 50-60 hours/week. now its paying off for me. if you do honest work , dont get greedy, keep projects on time , and treat your customers like you would want someone to treat your grandmother you cant go wrong just stick with it your time is right around the corner dude . im busier now in a crappy building market than i was after katrina , people who would not give me the time of day during the boom are now beating down my door for us to do thier projects because of the good reputation ive build for the business.

Like to hear a good success story!
Old 08-04-2011, 11:31 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

I like gold and silver . If (when) the world or the USA crashes all them paper stocks you are holding will be good for wiping your butt.
Look at the rise in gold prices in the last 5 years? aint a stock that i know of that made that much profit. Just because the investment gurus won't tell you to invest in it don't put it down.
i am not talking futures (paper) ,but actual gold and silver bullion ,bars ,rounds or coins.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:58 AM
Westerly neighbor

I know a ton of stocks that have made more than silver and gold by 10x-100x. Check out the recommendation I made a couple years ago in the thread I linked above. Any commodity is typically a risky investment and gold and silver are no different. I remember them regularly gaining and losing 50 percent in a short time span. However, if you got into either a couple years ago, your risk was worth it. Get in now and I'm not so sure. My USAA precious metals fund has done very well recently, but I bought it for diversification reasons.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:07 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Watch LNG today...if it drops in the 7,s...I will put All my holding cash into it.......and when the market levels off...ill sell at 10....
Old 08-05-2011, 08:25 AM
Site Owner/Admin

The jobs number looked good this morning, futures are up.