SaltyCajun.com http://www.gclendingservices.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > The Trading Floor (Investing, Stocks, Bonds)

The Trading Floor (Investing, Stocks, Bonds) Discuss investing and investments here! Do your own due diligence before investing. We are not responsible for any advice or recommendations within this forum!

Old 06-28-2013, 01:20 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,461

Ice machines start at $60K and north of $100K for big nice ones. Smaller ones are cheaper but do not have storage capacity. Car washes also seem a bad investment for that part of town, mostly older cars and bicycles in that area. Always car washes for sale around Sulphur. They are also very high maintenance.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-28-2013, 02:33 AM
Redfish

Cash: -239

Make due when i deposit my 1.75 it plays "ice ice baby" like the one in Jasper. Best bang for your buck.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:09 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patt View Post
I am inheriting property in sulphur on hwy 90 across from frasch park. I am wanting to put either an ice machine or a duplex on the property it is 1 acre. I am leaning more toward the ice machine because of the location and costs and the tournaments at frasch would be a big income on the ice machine I believe. With a duplex I could take advantage of the acre and be able to write them off for taxes but the railroad runs directly behind the property and would be a noise problem for renters. Any input is greatly appreciated

1. People will not be entering Frasch park from Hwy 90.
2. People will not cross 90 for ice unless you have a Big Azz neon sign to advertise you have the coldest ice in Sulphur (non melting that is).
3. Don't expect any bank to front $$$ for any commercial venture on the north side of hwy 90 unless you are all IN.
4. Have you looked at any of the other so-called apartments east of your location?
5. Best bet at that location would be Crack/Meth vending machines since the vast majority of it is made locally.

Choose wisely, this investment could actually be detrimental to your long term financial goals.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:51 AM
Redfish

Cash: 972

It's definitely not my ideal location but its free and I don't want it to go to waste
Old 06-28-2013, 11:06 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,150

Drive through liquor and cigs!!! Thank me later
Old 06-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriguy View Post
Genius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-28-2013, 11:50 AM
Redfish

Cash: 636
Default check cashing

Do check cashing. I knew someone who had one in Abbeville and made a mint cashing checks and selling Liquor.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:00 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,574

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
1. People will not be entering Frasch park from Hwy 90.
2. People will not cross 90 for ice unless you have a Big Azz neon sign to advertise you have the coldest ice in Sulphur (non melting that is).
3. Don't expect any bank to front $$$ for any commercial venture on the north side of hwy 90 unless you are all IN.
4. Have you looked at any of the other so-called apartments east of your location?
5. Best bet at that location would be Crack/Meth vending machines since the vast majority of it is made locally.

Choose wisely, this investment could actually be detrimental to your long term financial goals.
^THIS^
Old 06-28-2013, 12:01 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,574

Quote:
drive through liquor and cigs!!! Thank me later
^and this^
Old 06-28-2013, 12:01 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Literally your best option. Played at trash... I mean Frasch the other day. Forgot all the hootchies over there. No need for ice when they drink Forties
Old 06-28-2013, 12:04 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,007

if it was free and want to make money. sell the lot
Old 07-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Redfish

Cash: 978

Quote:
Originally Posted by cduhon View Post
Ice machines start at $60K and north of $100K for big nice ones. Smaller ones are cheaper but do not have storage capacity. Car washes also seem a bad investment for that part of town, mostly older cars and bicycles in that area. Always car washes for sale around Sulphur. They are also very high maintenance.

How will you be paying for the ice machine? Cash or loan? Interest rates on that type of investment or going to be really high. What kind of return on your investment are you looking for 10%, 20%.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:42 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

In that area? I say buy an older trailer and rent it or just sell the property.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 07-05-2013, 01:07 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako19 View Post
I would recommend a car wash. It sounds like it would be the right part of town for a good car wash.
Ever since Classic Auto Spa opened in Lafayette at Johnston and Camellia strret that thing has stayed packed!
I could not imagine how much that piece of property cost but they have to be making a killing!
Definately wouldnt do a car wash ... Car Wash + lower end neighborhood (to put it nicely) = Drug Dealing Capital of the city
Old 07-05-2013, 05:54 AM
Sailfish

Used tire store?
Old 07-05-2013, 08:19 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Used tire store?
Raymond, already a used tire store 2 lots over. Maybe an Old Milwaukee Outlet store? Or bail bondsman office?

Old 07-05-2013, 08:45 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Buy an old mobile home for cheap. Put $1500 into it and do rent to own. Get your $1500 back on down payment and rent to own say for $15,000 at 15% interest. It's rent to own so you are not responsible for any repairs or fixes. Most of the people you will be dealing with most likely will have bad credit. So that's the only route they can go until they get approved for something better. Chances are you won't have anyone stay much longer than a year then you repeat the same steps again. That way you're not renting it, they are buying it and you don't have the headache of goin in and making repairs all of the time. And believe me it will stay booked. Always someone looking for a place to live.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:56 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
Buy an old mobile home for cheap. Put $1500 into it and do rent to own. Get your $1500 back on down payment and rent to own say for $15,000 at 15% interest. It's rent to own so you are not responsible for any repairs or fixes. Most of the people you will be dealing with most likely will have bad credit. So that's the only route they can go until they get approved for something better. Chances are you won't have anyone stay much longer than a year then you repeat the same steps again. That way you're not renting it, they are buying it and you don't have the headache of goin in and making repairs all of the time. And believe me it will stay booked. Always someone looking for a place to live.
I have 3 I am doing this with, like Top Dawg said it will stay booked but be prepared for massive clean up, broken water lines, rotten food, flea infestation, and always painting when they move out. Mine pay but always late and always an excuse. I would put 2 duplexes there. Build them small and efficient, stained concrete floors and very simple. Then Section 8 them for guaranteed income.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:52 AM
Flounder

Cash: 1,631

Patt, here is an idea that is zero effort, secure, and profitable. Find a commercial realtor. Partner with a property developer. Sell the lot with owner financing. Example. $50,000 at 10% x ten year simple loan = $660.75 per month. When the last 120th payment is made you $79,290 total on a 50k sale. Each year you would realize $7,929 of income. If your age is less than 50 years old, you can put $5,500 of that money in a traditional IRA and not pay taxes on it. Or better yet, put it in a Roth IRA and use the difference to pay the tax up front. (the beauty of the Roth is that your withdrawals are then tax free) If you then took the IRA money and bought a dividend stock (like McDonald's stock) and reinvested the dividends, you'd be making another 5 K a year after another 10 years in dividend income. So you basically make 10% on your money per year almost 100% tax free, then have a lifetime of dividend income after that, and don't have to sweat a thing. If the developer defaults, your loan is in first position. If the complex is sold, you get paid first.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:59 AM
Flounder

Cash: 1,631

Patt, the high advantages of the above idea are: 1.) you avoid the huge tax hit of selling the property in a lump sum 2.) you turn the property from a net income loser (you have to pay property taxes), into a life long income producer. 3.) it makes the money passively, your time in then spent making money in other ways.