SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 03-02-2016, 10:15 PM
Flounder

Cash: 589
Default richard k yancey youth turkey hunt

My son was picked for a youth turkey hunt in richard k yancey has any one ever hunted turkey here before or now of where to at in the wma. I got pulled for gator hunt a few years ago and seen 2-3 turkeys while traveling down a dirt road but never hunted out there and info will help thanks Jeremy
Old 03-03-2016, 09:30 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,686

Started my turkey hunting at Three Rivers WMA 21 years ago and hunted there off and on through out the years. I have never actually hunted Red River WMA but from what I understand Richard Yancey is both WMA's together if that is the case I can tell you a few spots that I hunted in Three Rivers.
From what buddies have told me they have not had the birds in Three Rivers that they had in the past. I have an uncle that knows of a good flock in Red River and has been hunting those birds for a few years.

Back when I used to hunt Three Rivers it was not unusual to hear up to 8 different birds gobbling on the roost in the morning.

One tip I have for hunting 3R is there are allot of small ridges and shallow sloughs where I would hunt. Most time water only inches deep. Problem was you needed to be on the same ridge as the gobbler. I have seen turkeys fly over bayous but for some reason if you weren't on same ridge as the birds there you had to get on it or they wouldn't cross it to get to you.

I'll send you some info by PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:45 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Bring a Thermacell for each of you and several extra cartridges of butane and extra pads

Skeeters are tough