SaltyCajun.com http://www.matrixshad.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > The Conservationist's Corner

The Conservationist's Corner For discussion of everything to do with conservation!

Old 06-16-2011, 04:53 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,167
Default Oyster Bill... It failed...

A bill designed to protect oyster harvesting in Calcasieu (Big) Lake was defeated in the House Wednesday.

Sen. Dan “Blade” Morrish, R-Jennings, had better success with his legislation dealing with boating safety.
It was approved 35-0 and goes to the governor for ratification.
The House vote against the Morrish oyster bill was 53-42. It had been approved 35-0 by the state Senate.
Current law allows oyster harvesting in the lake using tongs, a hand dredge, a single dredge with a mechanical assist that has a tooth bar or by a single scraper with a mechanical assist and a flat bar.
The bill would have prohibited oyster harvesting in Big Lake except by special permit issued by the Department of Wildlife and Fisheries.
It would have also provided harvest limits for recreational fishermen.
Commercial oyster harvesters would have had to show proof they were engaged in harvesting for three years during 2007 through 2010.
The proposal also set up a lottery system for special permits and would have allowed the Wildlife and Fisheries Commission to set the seasons and harvest limits.
Penalties were also set in the bill.
Rep. Joe Harrison, R-Houma, succeeded in adding an amendment that set up similar rules for oyster harvesting in Lafourche and Terrebonne parishes. Rep. Dorothy Sue Hill, D-Dry Creek, was the only Southwest Louisiana legislator to vote against the bill.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:03 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
A bill designed to protect oyster harvesting in Calcasieu (Big) Lake was defeated in the House Wednesday.

Sen. Dan “Blade” Morrish, R-Jennings, had better success with his legislation dealing with boating safety.
The House vote against the Morrish oyster bill was 53-42. It had been approved 35-0 by the state Senate.
Current law allows oyster harvesting in the lake using tongs, a hand dredge, a single dredge with a mechanical assist that has a tooth bar or by a single scraper with a mechanical assist and a flat bar.
The bill would have prohibited oyster harvesting in Big Lake except by special permit issued by the Department of Wildlife and Fisheries.
Commercial oyster harvesters would have had to show proof they were engaged in harvesting for three years during 2007 through 2010.
The proposal also set up a lottery system for special permits and would have allowed the Wildlife and Fisheries Commission to set the seasons and harvest limits.
Rep. Joe Harrison, R-Houma, succeeded in adding an amendment that set up similar rules for oyster harvesting in Lafourche and Terrebonne parishes. Rep. Dorothy Sue Hill, D-Dry Creek, was the only Southwest Louisiana legislator to vote against the bill.

and i know her...... hmmmm
Old 06-16-2011, 05:25 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Ray u way late..we been talking about it all day
Old 06-16-2011, 05:53 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post

i thought yall wanted tonging only? that maybe would have went over better than just stopping everyone all together without a special permit.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:50 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 813

special permit required prior years of proving license. Would have cut out all the johnny come latelys trying to make a quick buck and protected the original oystermen on the lake.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:52 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrost View Post
special permit required prior years of proving license. Would have cut out all the johnny come latelys trying to make a quick buck and protected the original oystermen on the lake.
So the only people that could have harvested on the lake would have been people that have been doing it in the past and not people that are just starting out?
Old 06-17-2011, 10:08 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Too much bias in the bill. Sounds like it was written by folks who have a few years in the biz. Basically a lockout for anyone wanting to get in which would never work.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:53 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Bill was designed to reward those with "Skin" in the game and penalize those that are only trying to make a quick buck. How many of the 146 boats with permits give a ratz azz about a sustainable fishery? Rebar prices went through the roof with all the dredges built last year. I am all for LWLF being able to pull a permit if you get busted for over the limit. Wish it would apply to all fisheries laws.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:54 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
Too much bias in the bill. Sounds like it was written by folks who have a few years in the biz. Basically a lockout for anyone wanting to get in which would never work.

Not really...... your locals get in 1st then you have a lottery for any extra permits...

Why should a local oysterman who makes a living on the lake...watch his living go to extinction by others who just want a fast dollar and could careless what it hurts....The local oysterman are going to feel it....Not the pilgrims who come and leave
Old 06-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Blue Marlin

I watch this type of mentality in Pierre Part with crawfish. If yo daddy's daddy wasn't a fisherman, then you can't be either.

As far as over the limit, I totally agree Raymond. First offense, loss of catch and big fine. Second offense, loss of permit and none for years to come.

Not everyone just getting "into the game" are in it for just a quick buck! Remember, all traditions have to start somewhere. Good fishermen aren't just old timers. There are younger ones who care about their grounds as well. Need an example?...W. You're not an old man but, you are in tune with the fishery.

Just my opinion.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:34 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

Quote:
I watch this type of mentality in Pierre Part with crawfish. If yo daddy's daddy wasn't a fisherman, then you can't be either.

As far as over the limit, I totally agree Raymond. First offense, loss of catch and big fine. Second offense, loss of permit and none for years to come.

Not everyone just getting "into the game" are in it for just a quick buck! Remember, all traditions have to start somewhere. Good fishermen aren't just old timers. There are younger ones who care about their grounds as well. Need an example?...W. You're not an old man but, you are in tune with the fishery.

Just my opinion.
I'm on the same page as you.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:03 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Not really...... your locals get in 1st then you have a lottery for any extra permits...

Why should a local oysterman who makes a living on the lake...watch his living go to extinction by others who just want a fast dollar and could careless what it hurts....The local oysterman are going to feel it....Not the pilgrims who come and leave
again..you have people that want to restrict other people's right to fish.....when are they gonna learn they don't own our fisheries? if it comes to a few select chosen few to earn a living in this or the right of any cajun who wants to go out and fish for some oysters..the cajun has every right to do it because it is his heritage to do it. pilgrim or no pilgrim...that's one of the reasons they made vo-tech and 2 year college's ...for people that need to re-educate their selves if they don't like what is going on in their profession.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:25 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,104

Quote:

Just my opinion.
I see this too. And it seems like I see more of it over the 3-4 years I've actually been crawfishing.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,300

This issue will probably resolve itself when there are no sellable oysters left on the lake.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Great White

Dredging makes it too easy to bring in $300 to $350 per day, per boat.

Only the tried and true commercial fishermen tonged Oysters.

No one will be restricted from tonging Oysters. Recreational Oyster fishermen are allowed to catch 2 sacks each. But no one wants to use tongs. It is too hard and time consuming to do.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:49 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebert View Post
again..you have people that want to restrict other people's right to fish.....when are they gonna learn they don't own our fisheries? if it comes to a few select chosen few to earn a living in this or the right of any cajun who wants to go out and fish for some oysters..the cajun has every right to do it because it is his heritage to do it. pilgrim or no pilgrim...that's one of the reasons they made vo-tech and 2 year college's ...for people that need to re-educate their selves if they don't like what is going on in their profession.

again...Heritage means hard working people..so tong your oysters and dont dredge our lake to death...When its whipped out...I guess you will be the one who blames the WL&F for closing it for 10 years??
Old 06-19-2011, 05:03 PM
Great White

If there were 50 boats tonging, then there should only be 50 boats dredging.
It don't matter if you catch 15 sacks with tongs or dredge. The 15 sacks is 15 sacks.
The issue is when the money got easy, everyone wanted to jump in.
When the money is hard, only the ones who need money go tonging.
The lake can support 50 boats. It's been proved. But it can't support 150 boats.
If the lake closes, it is the new oyster fishermens fault. Not the ones who have
been tonging for all their lives.
The lake has been closed down before from dredging, if they don't do something
about it soon, it will be again.
I have friends who oyster fished all their lives and they are complaining about all
the new boats out there too.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Blue Marlin

Yeah, nobody likes competition. It's too hard. We should all just do as we're told and let our gov't give us a job duty.

The mentality of no one new should be allowed in is dictorial! Make em all tong and, if they can't hang, they'll fall out. If they can make it, realize that you aren't the only one who can do the job you chose!
Old 06-19-2011, 09:20 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Im for letting them all tong....Because I know only 25 boats will be on the lake tonging any giving day...the free loaders will not tong
Old 06-19-2011, 09:43 PM
Blue Marlin

Where I get a little flustered on this is, when oBUMa took office and the remaining parts of the economy failed, so went my line of work. I turned to the natural resources for income because I had a family
to feed. I was called everything under the sun and threatened with bodily harm as well as being called a poser. I never posed for anyone, nor did I ask anyone to pay my bills!

As far as "easy money" or "freeloader" is concerned, I never worked a harder day in my life! I worked 6 and 7 days a week crawfishing and will say, I worked like a cane field brotha! Anything made from natural resourses is tough and, in my opinion, the only ones who really hate on those who do so are the clueless or those who are scared they'll no longer have the market cornered.

If changes in harvest need to be made, blame those in control, not those who are There to make a living.

Just my .02