SaltyCajun.com http://cajunrodandreelrepair.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 03-20-2012, 11:38 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCKGOGETTER View Post
2 or 3 years ago my buddy went to stuggart ark. On a guided hunt. When they got there almost all the fields were froze except the ones that the guide service had kept the water open, and he took video of ducks by the thousands in them and also the canals and ditches that the birds were keeping open themselves. This hybrid rice is gonna kill alot of the hunting down here if it's gonna continue to be planted.
I can show you videos of thousands of ducks in several places in Louisiana any time during the season, any time. They have ducks but we have MORE. They may have more mallards, but we have more ducks.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:38 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoods17 View Post
bottom line to all yalls arguments is that there are too many variables to think yall can come up with one way to fix the problem... duck hunting is over in louisiana.. if you want to see mass numbers of birds like the old days then you need to go up north(OK,KS). everywhere you turn there is an idiot putting in another blind 100 yds across the marsh or 2 levees over in the rice field.. another reason is we are losing so much habitat on the coast to salt water, all this hybrid rice that is now being planted.. there is just too much to take into consideration to blame for the problem... but i will say that i would like to see somethin done up north to try and help reset the migration patterns as well has making new habitat down here for the birds to feed and rest...
Man its all global warming's fault...it doesnt get as cold during winter so they dont have to fly as far south. If yall wouldnt all drive gas burners and jacked up diesel rigs we would have birds here. Geeez!

By the way........j/k lol lmao rofl
Old 03-20-2012, 11:41 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
Louisiana kills mored ducks than ANY STATE, yes even Arkansas, Kansas, and Oklahoma!

We will always kill ducks, ducks such as gadwalls will always come down here no matter how much rice is planted in Missouri and Arkansas. You guys think ducks and you think MALLARDS. We still get plenty of mallards. We have the best duck hunting ANYWHERE. Where else can you go and shoot a limit of 6 ducks of 6 different species? We got it good, don't drink the koolaid about mallards. Those are the easiest ducks to kill, give me teal, gadwall, and pintails any day of the season. Wanna see mallards go to the park
Again, bc Louisiana has so many hunters. You can't tell me the hunting isn't better in the northern states. I'm not saying your wrong about Louisiana kilimg the most ducks, but I bet that's a grand total. I would like to see a per hunter per effort average
Old 03-20-2012, 11:45 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 9,890

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck butter View Post
i can show you videos of thousands of ducks in several places in louisiana any time during the season, any time. They have ducks but we have more. They may have more mallards, but we have more ducks.

when i refer to ducks i'm not refering to only mallards i'm speaking of ducks in general. For example the holmwood sweetlake area south of lake charles. Anybody can remember seeing multiple bodies of geese/ducks in these areas in the past, but for the last few years the migration has changed due to a lack of food planted. It's simple no food no ducks/geese. Another example helms road south of lake charles again in the 90's that i can remember if you had a blind down this road you had a top notch blind. You could drive down that road and see thousands of waterfowl now when you past you don't even see a duck/goose down that whole road due to the lack of farming.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:47 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

Quote:
Louisiana kills mored ducks than ANY STATE, yes even Arkansas, Kansas, and Oklahoma!

We will always kill ducks, ducks such as gadwalls will always come down here no matter how much rice is planted in Missouri and Arkansas. You guys think ducks and you think MALLARDS. We still get plenty of mallards. We have the best duck hunting ANYWHERE. Where else can you go and shoot a limit of 6 ducks of 6 different species? We got it good, don't drink the koolaid about mallards. Those are the easiest ducks to kill, give me teal, gadwall, and pintails any day of the season. Wanna see mallards go to the park
first off everybody already knows that louisiana kills more ducks cause there are 10x as many hunter here than in any other state!.. and the reason why northern states kill mallards so damn easy is because 80% of the ones they kill were born less than 6 months ago from when they kill them!!! the birdds we get down here are the same birds that been coming down for generations... and that is why we are seeing less and less is because the new offsprings are not making it and then there offsprings, offsprings arent making it...
Old 03-20-2012, 11:47 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcnabb View Post
Again, bc Louisiana has so many hunters. You can't tell me the hunting isn't better in the northern states. I'm not saying your wrong about Louisiana kilimg the most ducks, but I bet that's a grand total. I would like to see a per hunter per effort average
We have more public hunting land available than most states, especially up north. It seems crowded, but you don't know crowded til you go to Arkansas and hunt public land. For every good picture someone posts up there are hundreds of people who scratched that day. Same with fishing, you see a pic of limits and people think they can just go up and do that. Again, Louisiana KILLS more ducks than ANY STATE. How is duck hunting dead in Louisiana? We are also starting to get more whistling ducks hanging around and bw teal are staying here during the winter which is really adding to the number of ducks wintering down here. We have it GREAT. You want to kill mallards consistently go to Kansas or Oklahoma or Arkansas, but you will pay out the butt in Arkansas for prime hunting ground, fo revery good blind there are 10 'garholes'.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:50 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoods17 View Post
first off everybody already knows that louisiana kills more ducks cause there are 10x as many hunter here than in any other state!.. and the reason why northern states kill mallards so damn easy is because 80% of the ones they kill were born less than 6 months ago from when they kill them!!! the birdds we get down here are the same birds that been coming down for generations... and that is why we are seeing less and less is because the new offsprings are not making it and then there offsprings, offsprings arent making it...
Again talking mallards, who cares! Its a silly park duck that is the EASIEST duck to call in and kill. You said duck hunting is DEAD in Louisiana, and then say we kill more ducks than ANY STATE how is that dead? We are getting even more ducks with the whistling ducks and teal taking up the slack for the mallards
Old 03-20-2012, 11:51 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
It don't matter what we have W, people are still going to whine like little ()'s

Your right....It don't matter what kind of evidence or biology work or what the numbers are...

Just like the 15trout limit in Big Lake....if they (politics) want in they will get it........BOTTOM LINE

15 Trout limit in big lake was done by paper pushing politics with ZERO FACTs............So if they want 30 day duck season....By damn they will get it...

OTHER THAN THAT ...................
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m54461_We-get-it-Youre-butt-hurt.jpg (71.2 KB, 72 views)
Old 03-20-2012, 11:51 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

(Side Bar) Hey, Jared and the Feeesherman, cool down guys. Go take an ice bath or something.

(End Side Bar)

There are a ton of things that go into the number of ducks killed. There is more habitat up north, so more ducks are stopping up north now because of all the work DU and other organizations do up there. That is also a combination of weather, like someone pointed out. This past winter was one of the more milder in the past several (first one in I believe three years that we didn't get snow in Lake Charles). We do still have a lot of ducks down here, there is no doubting that. But I guarantee you we have more hunter efforts down here than a lot of the northern states do, so that is going to affect the number of ducks that are killed.

Now with all that being said, do I think there needs to be changes? Yeah, if it is the right change. I think the biggest thing being considered at this point is 3 zones, 2 splits. From the design I looked at, which was a week or two ago so don't hold me to this, it is 3 zones/2 splits. As it has been pointed out, splits and total days are based on duck numbers.

I think we can all agree though: we want what is best for the sport. It's agreeing on what is best that is the problem.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCKGOGETTER View Post
when i refer to ducks i'm not refering to only mallards i'm speaking of ducks in general. For example the holmwood sweetlake area south of lake charles. Anybody can remember seeing multiple bodies of geese/ducks in these areas in the past, but for the last few years the migration has changed due to a lack of food planted. It's simple no food no ducks/geese. Another example helms road south of lake charles again in the 90's that i can remember if you had a blind down this road you had a top notch blind. You could drive down that road and see thousands of waterfowl now when you past you don't even see a duck/goose down that whole road due to the lack of farming.
Venice and Wax Lake had BANNER years this year due to the drought. Ducks move, they can fly, they go where there is food and water. Natural food, waterfowl have come down here for thousands of years when there was not one rice field. They adapt, some may stay up north annd get fat on rice in Arkansas, but we still get the Lions' Share You got it good, don't start talking bout the 'good old days' they are here right now, you are living em
Old 03-20-2012, 11:54 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

http://www.ducks.org/hunting/migrati...oe=recentadded
Old 03-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Ling

First off, where are y'all getting this reduced season nonsense? This needs to be nipped right now. There are still ducks in the coastal marsh that have yet to leave for the breeding ponds The pond counters have not even probably serviced their airplanes to get ready for the counts. We will not know until August what the season forecast will be. There is no evidence for a reduction in days and/or limits yet
Old 03-20-2012, 11:59 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,781

Quote:
We have more public hunting land available than most states, especially up north. It seems crowded, but you don't know crowded til you go to Arkansas and hunt public land. For every good picture someone posts up there are hundreds of people who scratched that day. Same with fishing, you see a pic of limits and people think they can just go up and do that. Again, Louisiana KILLS more ducks than ANY STATE. How is duck hunting dead in Louisiana? We are also starting to get more whistling ducks hanging around and bw teal are staying here during the winter which is really adding to the number of ducks wintering down here. We have it GREAT. You want to kill mallards consistently go to Kansas or Oklahoma or Arkansas, but you will pay out the butt in Arkansas for prime hunting ground, fo revery good blind there are 10 'garholes'.
No need for public land to hunt on up north, permission to hunt ag fields is too easy to get. I'm not saying our hunting sucks or is dead, I'm saying it is better up north. I have friends who go to Oklahoma every year and smash ducks and geese but kill few geese here. All I'm trying to say is the hunting is better up there due to the lack of pressure.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Ling

1,840,000 ducks counted in November of 2011

One million eight hundred and forty thousand ducks in November, yet duck hunting in Louisiana is over

I agree, y'all all give up your leases and sell your gear and tell everybody else
Old 03-20-2012, 12:03 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Quote:
Again talking mallards, who cares! Its a silly park duck that is the EASIEST duck to call in and kill. You said duck hunting is DEAD in Louisiana, and then say we kill more ducks than ANY STATE how is that dead? We are getting even more ducks with the whistling ducks and teal taking up the slack for the mallards
You must hunt mallards in the parks cause IMO mallards are the hardest duck to kill hands down. And thats why they are such prize to kill. I bet Phil Robertson won't agree with you. Just like someone else said they kill so many up north cause they are 6 months old.
Sailfish

Cash: 826

Haha im good. I realized people can be wrong on the internet. I was just putting forth my idea. Not everyone will agree. But it is a fact more and more habitat is manipulated along the entire mississippi flyway to mimic what we have down here.
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
1,840,000 ducks counted in November of 2011

One million eight hundred and forty thousand ducks in November, yet duck hunting in Louisiana is over

I agree, y'all all give up your leases and sell your gear and tell everybody else

Roger..........everyone should sell all there guns and Decoys.........

Post what you have and ill bid on them
Old 03-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Ling

Quote:
No need for public land to hunt on up north, permission to hunt ag fields is too easy to get. I'm not saying our hunting sucks or is dead, I'm saying it is better up north. I have friends who go to Oklahoma every year and smash ducks and geese but kill few geese here. All I'm trying to say is the hunting is better up there due to the lack of pressure.
And this is because the flyway is changing. Oklahoma is now a duck hunting state because of this, once people figure this, it will get pressured, Kansas as well. Again, you are talking MALLARDS, that is what is killed there. The odds of them getting 6 species of ducks on a hunt is nil
Old 03-20-2012, 12:07 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
You must hunt mallards in the parks cause IMO mallards are the hardest duck to kill hands down. Just like someone else said they kill so many cause they are 6 months old.

I will disagree with you on that..........I been duck hunting since the age of 7 years old

I would say a Mallard is top 5 easiest to kill...but Black Mallard (molted duck) is the Hardest

Easiest Ducks to kill over my years of hunting are

#1 Teal
#2 Spoonbills
#3 Gray Ducks
#4 Mallards
#5 PinTail
Old 03-20-2012, 12:07 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
You must hunt mallards in the parks cause IMO mallards are the hardest duck to kill hands down. Just like someone else said they kill so many cause they are 6 months old.
No park, no lease. I just don't see why the love for a mallard