SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 04-16-2010, 11:04 AM
Redfish

Cash: 850
Default Fools Gold

Have any of you ever noticed that if you look at the coastal forecast early in the week the sat and sun wind prediction will almost always be 5 to 10. You get out there and you have to add the 5 and the 10. I once called one of the meterologist NWS in Lake Charles and said, "Ya'll were calling for 5 Knot winds and smooooooooooth on protected waters so I decided to take my grandma out. We get out here and I'm looking at her with no dentures because all the waves knocked them out of her mouth!"(of course I was just joking) There was a little pause on the phone and a snicker but never an apology. Here is the number to the NWS incase you ever get in a bind. It has saved me a few times. I saw some stuff building on the north side of the lake and I launched at Calcasieu Pt. They told me to stay put on the south side and it should pass then get in because there was some more comming off the gulf. 337-477-5285.

Personally I have found the KATC Wind chart to be the most accurate. You have to go to the bottom left of their weather page and click on the icon. It gives you wind prediction in 3 hr intervals across the state. It only predicts 36 hrs in advance. 12 - 24 hr Predictions are extremely accurate. 36 hr prediction are not very accurate.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:08 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

funny story!! but thanks and can you post a link to that last website if you don't mind.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:10 AM
Redfish

Cash: 850

http://www.katc.com/weather/ go the the lower left of the page and click on the wind forecast icon.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Flounder

Cash: 600
Default Know what you mean

I've had a uterus or two smack the floor of my boat with some of those smooth water predictions. Always seems that I'm accross the Lake when it hits too! Still wouldn't want to be the one jumping up there to predict weather in Louisiana! I always plan on having at least a 5 mph wind over what is predicted. The wind on Big Lake and Vermillion Bay can be a dog.