SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion

Freshwater Fishing Discussion For discussion of everything freshwater!

Old 02-17-2010, 11:43 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,525
Question Chicot Fishing Advice

Last minute my Brother-in-Law wants to go try Chicot this weekend. Has anyone been fishing there lately? I am not real familiar with that lake and have never fished it at this time of year. I'll fish for anything... so all helpful advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-17-2010, 11:45 PM
Banned

only time i've ever been i watched this dude pound the bass fishing the ledge of the boat lane with a small jig
Old 02-18-2010, 03:38 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 643

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripinlips View Post
Last minute my Brother-in-Law wants to go try Chicot this weekend. Has anyone been fishing there lately? I am not real familiar with that lake and have never fished it at this time of year. I'll fish for anything... so all helpful advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last year all i would catch them on was a fluke, or a Senko that was wacky rigged... Cast on cypress trees and let them fall with a little twitch about every few seconds... im sure with the weather lik it is, they will still be deep. So try the trees, then if that dont work for you.. try a jig in about 8 - 10 feet deep. Cut the skirts down so the bait dont look so big, and less intimidating..
Old 02-18-2010, 08:37 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDaddy View Post
Last year all i would catch them on was a fluke, or a Senko that was wacky rigged... Cast on cypress trees and let them fall with a little twitch about every few seconds... im sure with the weather lik it is, they will still be deep. So try the trees, then if that dont work for you.. try a jig in about 8 - 10 feet deep. Cut the skirts down so the bait dont look so big, and less intimidating..
Thanks for the info CatDaddy.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:12 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

catdaddy has some good info.. if that don't work. I'd move a little shallower with possible a spinnerbait/chatterbait just to see what happens. Its still too early to catch them spawning, but you might catch what i call some retarded bass that spawn early. Good luck!! Sunday I won't be far, I'm going hit Millers to prefish for a tourny.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:54 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

What kinda boat?? ONLY run in the channels.....I remember there being ALOT of stumps just under the surface....
Old 02-18-2010, 07:01 PM
Trophy Trout

I have a 15ft aluminum...I heard about the stumps before the last time I went out there but did not run into any problems...Thanks for reminding me though.

Jeff,
How is miller's this time of year? Never been there but I know it is close to Chicot.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 700

Best thing the state can do is fill that place in with concrete. It is 15 minutes from my house and i rarely fish it anymore. They do have some hogs in there but you really have to know the place. Usually best baits ths time of year are white spinner baits in deeper cypress trees or watermelon brush hogs.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:16 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripinlips View Post
I have a 15ft aluminum...I heard about the stumps before the last time I went out there but did not run into any problems...Thanks for reminding me though.

JPeff,
How is miller's this time of year? Never been there but I know it is close to Chicot.

Its usually good, but i think its been a little too cold. I'm going hit it Sunday. I have 2 tournaments there coming up so I figured a little prefish wouldn't hurt anything. Waters REAL REAL clear right now.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:17 PM

Cash: 376

A Shadow is a must !