SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > Quitters and Losers Forum

Quitters and Losers Forum Come here to discuss self-improvement challenges, such as losing weight or quitting tobacco, alcohol, drugs, etc. NO BASHING and NO OFF-TOPIC POSTING in this forum! Lead, follow, or get outta the way!

Old 12-20-2009, 07:24 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 650
Default Water

Hey, guys I'm on the opposite side of the scale, I'm a skinny little guy, now with that said, I quit drinking and a few other things, about 18 months ago. When I quit I was 123# soaking wet, I replaced those addictions with excercise, I am at 160# all good weight.
I go listen to alot of personnel trainers and I learn alot from these guys......one thing they all say is drink WATER....cut back on the Soda's, Energy Drinks, and even Gatorade. There is so much sugar in those things.
Try this challenge for 3 weeks drink your morning coffee, and then just water no soda's for the rest of the day, do that for 3 weeks and see how good you feel. In the end it's not the number on the scale, it's how well you feel. Once you start to SEE results as in Measure yourself; arms, waiste and legs you can see results faster, remember muscle weighes more than fat.
For what its worth.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:55 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 843

Thanks Rob............I'm gonna try that and see what happens.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:00 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,283

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRob View Post
Hey, guys I'm on the opposite side of the scale, I'm a skinny little guy, now with that said, I quit drinking and a few other things, about 18 months ago. When I quit I was 123# soaking wet, I replaced those addictions with excercise, I am at 160# all good weight.
I go listen to alot of personnel trainers and I learn alot from these guys......one thing they all say is drink WATER....cut back on the Soda's, Energy Drinks, and even Gatorade. There is so much sugar in those things.
Try this challenge for 3 weeks drink your morning coffee, and then just water no soda's for the rest of the day, do that for 3 weeks and see how good you feel. In the end it's not the number on the scale, it's how well you feel. Once you start to SEE results as in Measure yourself; arms, waiste and legs you can see results faster, remember muscle weighes more than fat.
For what its worth.
I have had kidney and liver problems due to compulsive drinking habits....stopped drinking 2 years ago...then was hooked on Dr. Peppers, @ least 2 44oz a day!! Then I quit them,and went to Monster energy drinks. Not worth a darn for you @ all!! When I quit drinking I weighed 300#...I try to stay to water, sobe 0, or G2...Today I can wear my clothes comfortable and I want to say my weight is down to 240# today and I feel great!!
Old 04-08-2011, 02:10 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.B View Post
I have had kidney and liver problems due to compulsive drinking habits....stopped drinking 2 years ago...then was hooked on Dr. Peppers, @ least 2 44oz a day!! Then I quit them,and went to Monster energy drinks. Not worth a darn for you @ all!! When I quit drinking I weighed 300#...I try to stay to water, sobe 0, or G2...Today I can wear my clothes comfortable and I want to say my weight is down to 240# today and I feel great!!
And we are proud of you bro...

Becuz things wouldn't be the same without your ugly face around.....
Old 04-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 685

i've went to the weight loss gig, went from 230 all flub, to 185 . currently still 185 but not the 185 i want to look like. When starting a diet, first thing i advise people is to quit COKES/ switch to diet coke. diet is best for those who absolutely cannot give up cold drinks, yet still has 0 carbs , 0 calories, 0 sugars. WATER IS ESSENTIAL, and try swtiching to whole grains instead of the WHITE alternatives(bread, rice, pasta) Hell, just switching to wheat bread makes one hell of a difference.

for weight loss, you want to eat foods that will flush out of you fast . FIBER is a must, especially when one's protein intake has increased due to work outs. you dont want to be that guy that hasnt **** in 6 days cuz all you eating is eggs/meats.....

#1 food i reccomend to people who wants to start eating right/ dieting......

OATMEAL
Old 04-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 838

I have personal trained for 6 years and just changing to water and diet just a little I have men and lady's that can drop10-25 pounds in 90 days while adding muscle to fill out loose skin!
Guys it's not hard you mind just has to be right!!!
Old 04-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Trophy Trout

And on the comment a out oatmeal!! Oatmeal is ok and will help u lose weight but once your body gets to a point with oatmeal it will not allow you to burn anymore fat! Protein will burn 5 times more fat them oatmeal and wheat bread!!
Old 04-08-2011, 04:34 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullrutt View Post
And on the comment a out oatmeal!! Oatmeal is ok and will help u lose weight but once your body gets to a point with oatmeal it will not allow you to burn anymore fat! Protein will burn 5 times more fat them oatmeal and wheat bread!!
i totally agree,
protein is needed regardless of losing weight/bulking up.
CARBS is what's the killer.
To bullk up you need lots of carbs and lots of protein and lots of calories.
to lean out you need least carbs, lots of protein, with least amount of calories.
The thing is when i go hard on some protein, usually 250-400 grams of protein a day, you have a problem with ****ting. especiallly that atkins diet, you'll lose hella weight because you body has no carbs to burn for energy, so it starts burning fat and muscle for energy. and the increased protein you take is only for retaining the muscle you have.
i strongly DO NOT ADVISE atkins diet, because as soon as you get back on the carbs, the weight will pile back on almost as fast as you lost it..
although i suggest watching and curbing your carb intake, i do not suggest to drop it completely. Carbs are great in moderation, and is needed for energy . COMPLEX CARBS ARE BEST, that would be your whole grains, wheat, brown, etc.

you gotta pick one or the other, can't do both.....
lean out, or bulk up..

NOONE likes losing weight and not being able to ****. that's extra dead weight you have in your stomache and good luck ****ting out those bricks.

my suggestion is to eat A BIG bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. and continue with light snacks and meals high in protein , low in carbs for the rest of the day. (5-7 meals preferred)SPEED UP YOUR METABOLISM, the faster you process foods, the faster you see and feel results
Old 04-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Trophy Trout

Yes u are right on key! But the right protein mix with the right carbs taking that 4-6 times a day, light snacks and a healthy dinner exercise will give you a body that Is Not only lean but toned an ripped ! Fiber is where the ****ting your talking about comes in play when u don't have carbs true! But there are 2-4 different fiber gel caps or mixing tubs u can buy that will help the by taking in two days!

Brown rice, whole wheat is good don't get me wrong but try for one month going with protein, fiber sub and water I would bet you will see HUGE difference in belly and waist!

I walk around at 210-215 and fight at 170 or 185 depending on promotors! I can drop to either one protein diet within 45-60 days an still be healthy!

Good luck it sounds like you all have done well! Just remember paying a trainer, paying a company, or doing it yourself your mind has to be 100% into it and ready!! It's tuff for sure
Old 04-08-2011, 06:39 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,165

Y'all need to read about the Primal Blueprint. It is a low carb diet, goal is 100 to 150 a day. No wheat products. All carbs are fruit and vegetables. I lost 15 pounds before the holidays in a couple of months following it. I strayed during the holidays but I'm back on it full steam. It's easy to follow and you still get to eat decent food.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2011, 06:48 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullrutt View Post
Yes u are right on key! But the right protein mix with the right carbs taking that 4-6 times a day, light snacks and a healthy dinner exercise will give you a body that Is Not only lean but toned an ripped ! Fiber is where the ****ting your talking about comes in play when u don't have carbs true! But there are 2-4 different fiber gel caps or mixing tubs u can buy that will help the by taking in two days!

Brown rice, whole wheat is good don't get me wrong but try for one month going with protein, fiber sub and water I would bet you will see HUGE difference in belly and waist!

I walk around at 210-215 and fight at 170 or 185 depending on promotors! I can drop to either one protein diet within 45-60 days an still be healthy!

Good luck it sounds like you all have done well! Just remember paying a trainer, paying a company, or doing it yourself your mind has to be 100% into it and ready!! It's tuff for sure
i just wanted point out some points where i had troubles at in my weight loss /get "tank top"ready status. lol

also, just because you're fat now, doesnt mean it'll be a year or more before you start looking good..

keep this in mind....ITS ALL ABOUT CHEST/SHOULDER to WAIST RATIO
(if you're chest/shoulders are big enough, it can make the appearance of having a slimmer midsection also. ) even without actually losing weight in your midsection.
trust me, 225 flub and 225 bulk(even with a big tummy) is a helluva difference in looks.

its not all about the numbers, especially the one you see on the scale...what matters is the results you see and feel. (unless you were in some type of competetion)

i've been down the NO CARB/ low carb/ carb cycling fuss, and i agree that they work, but at the same time has their disadvantages.

MY BIGGEST TWO PROBLEMS WITH CUTTING CARBS WERE
1---the ****ting problem....
2--the low energy problem.

ultimate goal would be to be fit, tone, working out, and only have to worry about high protein, moderate complex carbs, and the occasional CHEAT day..that's a must for anybody starting to diet....YOU MUST ALWAYS HAVE A CHEAT DAY
Old 04-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Trophy Trout

Yes a a cheat day is always good and nothing wrong with it!!
Old 04-08-2011, 09:30 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

I started my "diet" when lent started. I gave up coffee, fast food (I'd eat out about 3 times a week) and soft drinks. Right before lent started I was fluctuating between 238 and 241. Right now I'm down to 224 and haven't started any kind of exercise yet. Just those 15 pounds lighter and I feel ALOT better than just a few weeks ago. I plan on continuing this diet and also throwing in some jogging and lightweight workouts. Before I put on the extra weight I would do about 100 push-ups before my shower every morning, when I started my diet I couldn't do 5!!! Now I'm up to doing 2 sets of 25 and every week I add a set. My goal is to get down to 200 then I'll set a new goal once I get there to maintain my weight. I can't wait to get down to that just to feel like my old self again.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Trophy Trout

Guys also remember it's also about what you want to achieve?!?

Lose a little inches off your waist, belly, lean and ripped, etc etc they all are different and will be done different from easy to real freaking hard!!

Set goals on paper and follow thru with them!
Old 04-08-2011, 11:10 PM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

its easy to lose weight when it gets hot, your body looses water weight and as long as you replenish that water without sugar and sodium your body will loose that water and not store it as fat. I usually burn weight too by eating 6 meals of spinach, lettuce cabbage and lean chicken. with the occasional sweet potato or cup of brown rice.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:27 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,040

Water works wonders for me. Also if you want to still drink a few beers, MGD 64 and /or Bud Select 55 give you a"healthier" alternative esp w/ the calories. I have lost about 50 lbs since this time last year and am in the 190's now. It feels good and the water I drink keeps me flushed out, along w/ the coffee i have in the morning (black). The oatmeal thing seems to be helping out also cause I was plateauing and now I seem to be starting to lose a little more recently.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:02 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,065

i have been battling the scale my whole life. in the past few month i started a low carb diet and hitting the gym 3-5 days a week. i went from 260 to 249 in 3-4 months.
it's slow but i'm in it for the long hual!
the worst part is the "non"****ing. i only drink coffee and coke zero. after reading what you guys said, i think i will start drinking more water during the day.
i do 3 day of "body pump' classes a week and 1-2 cardio days a week. i've tried to up the cardio days, but i get bored easy on that any hlep you can give would be used....
Old 04-19-2011, 09:10 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun w son View Post
i have been battling the scale my whole life. in the past few month i started a low carb diet and hitting the gym 3-5 days a week. i went from 260 to 249 in 3-4 months.
it's slow but i'm in it for the long hual!
the worst part is the "non"****ing. i only drink coffee and coke zero. after reading what you guys said, i think i will start drinking more water during the day.
i do 3 day of "body pump' classes a week and 1-2 cardio days a week. i've tried to up the cardio days, but i get bored easy on that any hlep you can give would be used....
light cardio on your lifting days...heavy and non-lifting...also a a great habit to pick up is to walk around the block after meals...helps the digesting and your metabolism.

remember ...a good rule for counting carbs and fiber is...

for every gram of fiber you can subtract off the total carbs....
(if i was on low carbs diet....every gram of carb would be in fiber..
Old 04-19-2011, 09:24 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,604

Tuna Fish + Sweet Potatoes + Water = success! At least for me it did, few years ago I weighed 195 and was not to pleased with my self! It's amazing what changing the things you eat and portioning right can do in so little time! 3 months time I went from 195 to 140, I'm not a very tall guy, now I'm back up to 160 and it's time to shed my winter coat lol
Lots of good advice in here!! I will be using some of it thanks!
Old 04-19-2011, 09:31 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,065

i guess i'm like everyone else, the day is just too busy.
i have problems planning meals. breakfast is at the local shoprite and dinner is at whatever place is close to me at that time. at night i cook healthy, but during the day i have to hunt for a good low carb/low fat meal.
can't eat subway every day....... i tried!!!