SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 09-21-2015, 09:08 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaholic View Post
I would love a group next to me blowing a wench. They might kill some early but when a call matters they'll wait til we are done. RNT short barrel , hobo double reeds kick butt for ppl that can drive them. Just gotta know when to call.
Call
Pffft. Keep that up in Arkansas. On Fausse Pointe, its not uncommon to have 6 blinds calling at the same birds and I use an old Faulks call. I let everyone blow those fancy calls and highball at the ducks. With the Faulks you can really choke it down and get a perfect sound of what I call the scaup "gargle" and get their attention so they will come within 60 yards and then its time to meet the 3.5 inch triplee BB widowmaker
Old 09-21-2015, 09:51 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 866
Headknocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPointIsDaBomb View Post
Pffft. Keep that up in Arkansas. On Fausse Pointe, its not uncommon to have 6 blinds calling at the same birds and I use an old Faulks call. I let everyone blow those fancy calls and highball at the ducks. With the Faulks you can really choke it down and get a perfect sound of what I call the scaup "gargle" and get their attention so they will come within 60 yards and then its time to meet the 3.5 inch triplee BB widowmaker
so your the sky buster everyone has been talking about? you must have a patternmaster.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:26 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmaster19 View Post
I'm thinking of getting a "higher end" mallard call. Even thinking of trying a single reed...what's everyone's favorite call and is you preference single or double reed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'd stay with the double reeds if that's what you've always blown. It sucks to pay top dollar for a fancy single reed then not be able to run it right away, really hurts lol. I was so upset when I bought my first high end call years ago. It was the original RnT daisy cutter, and I hated it. It wasn't until after that season that I really started practicing with it and got used to the single reed, and now I love it. Now I run that same daisy cutter, paired with the daisy slayer, both singles. I'm biased to the RNT's, but the Alpha 2 is hard to beat for a nice double reed. My little brother has one and if I had to blow a DR that would be it, no doubt (acrylic). A close second for a high end DR is the Zink ATM. Got a buddy that won a wood (cocobolo maybe?) at a Delta banquet last year, and it is hella ducky, but costs a bit more than the RNT. But for about 50 bucks you can get the echo poly/wood timber DR that's really nice. I have one and loved it for the price, but the poly insert got cracked eventually. What calls have you been blowing?
Old 09-21-2015, 10:34 AM
Flounder

Cash: 1,087

JJ Lares Hybrid.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:33 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoods17 View Post
so your the sky buster everyone has been talking about? you must have a patternmaster.
It aint skybusting if you are killing them
Old 09-21-2015, 01:04 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

Is it just me but when did we start "running" or "driving" duck calls?

Call me a queer but I still blow my duck calls; maybe you can only blow cheap calls, expensive calls must be driven......
Old 09-21-2015, 01:29 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

Quote:
It aint skybusting if you are killing them
you da man
Old 09-21-2015, 01:53 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
scaup "gargle" and get their attention so they will come within 60 yards and then its time to meet the 3.5 inch triplee BB widowmaker
I'll start working on the patent now. Faulk's single reed cocobolo cut down key hole timber style scaup gargle. We gawn be rich boys..
Old 09-21-2015, 07:00 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Bass2mouth View Post
I'd stay with the double reeds if that's what you've always blown. It sucks to pay top dollar for a fancy single reed then not be able to run it right away, really hurts lol. I was so upset when I bought my first high end call years ago. It was the original RnT daisy cutter, and I hated it. It wasn't until after that season that I really started practicing with it and got used to the single reed, and now I love it. Now I run that same daisy cutter, paired with the daisy slayer, both singles. I'm biased to the RNT's, but the Alpha 2 is hard to beat for a nice double reed. My little brother has one and if I had to blow a DR that would be it, no doubt (acrylic). A close second for a high end DR is the Zink ATM. Got a buddy that won a wood (cocobolo maybe?) at a Delta banquet last year, and it is hella ducky, but costs a bit more than the RNT. But for about 50 bucks you can get the echo poly/wood timber DR that's really nice. I have one and loved it for the price, but the poly insert got cracked eventually. What calls have you been blowing?

I'm biased towards the RNTs as well, I have the daisy cutter also and I found it very easy to blow. And I can get just as soft with it as any of my old double reeds
Old 09-21-2015, 08:55 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,486

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGcoreg View Post
I'm biased towards the RNTs as well, I have the daisy cutter also and I found it very easy to blow. And I can get just as soft with it as any of my old double reeds
Yall still talkin about duck callin here.....?
Old 09-21-2015, 08:58 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahlangle View Post
Yall still talkin about duck callin here.....?

"I found it pleasantly easy to call waterfowl with"
That better? Haha
Old 09-22-2015, 12:53 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,607

Quote:

I've had my haydels red leg for about 10 or 12 years and other then that I think I've only had the original dr85...this is why I'm looking into acrylic. I'll probably just stick with the double reeds though...I'm no competition caller! Lol

Old 09-22-2015, 01:56 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmaster19 View Post
I've had my haydels red leg for about 10 or 12 years and other then that I think I've only had the original dr85...this is why I'm looking into acrylic. I'll probably just stick with the double reeds though...I'm no competition caller! Lol

I'm by no means a comp guy either lol. Actually, some of the meat style comps are won with double reeds. Doesn't mean someone is any less of a caller bc he likes doubles. One of the Echo guys won worlds with a D.R. Poly (same call I mentioned in my previous post). Honestly I have a primos wench (Double) that is the most ducky call I've ever heard, just doesn't have much play to it. Generally you just have more to work with in a single, it just can take some getting used to. If you're dead set on acrylic I'd go with the Alpha 2.

http://www.rntcalls.com/products/items.aspx?id=137
Old 09-23-2015, 09:12 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,700

Ill use a rnt short barrel or hi ball boss hog on a windy day or to break high ducks, other than that its a vtm-90
Old 09-23-2015, 09:26 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

Quote:
I'm by no means a comp guy either lol. Actually, some of the meat style comps are won with double reeds. Doesn't mean someone is any less of a caller bc he likes doubles. One of the Echo guys won worlds with a D.R. Poly (same call I mentioned in my previous post). Honestly I have a primos wench (Double) that is the most ducky call I've ever heard, just doesn't have much play to it. Generally you just have more to work with in a single, it just can take some getting used to. If you're dead set on acrylic I'd go with the Alpha 2.

http://www.rntcalls.com/products/items.aspx?id=137
When you say "more to work" with do you mean tone manipulation?

I like a call that can be highly manipulated If that makes sense.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:09 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Stealth View Post
When you say "more to work" with do you mean tone manipulation?

I like a call that can be highly manipulated If that makes sense.
Yes. Not only tone, but volume as well.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:20 AM
Tripletail

That being said, some of the DR's they make now can do everything a single reed can, other than the SUPER loud high balls, and are generally more forgiving too.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:39 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
That being said, some of the DR's they make now can do everything a single reed can, other than the SUPER loud high balls, and are generally more forgiving too.
Here's the cat that won it with the DR poly. It was 07 not 08 like I originally said.

https://youtu.be/ZXjxS1hyTeY
Old 09-23-2015, 07:37 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,480

Quote:
Here's the cat that won it with the DR poly. It was 07 not 08 like I originally said.

https://youtu.be/ZXjxS1hyTeY
This is the owner of Hobo Duck Calls. Their double reed is very good. Will do most everything a single reed will do. His name is Kent Cullum.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:46 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Redbone or bust! Wait....wrong thread.