SaltyCajun.com http://cajunrodandreelrepair.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > Stories, History, and Tributes

Stories, History, and Tributes Got a story to tell about your childhood, someone you admired, or some interesting history to share? This is the place!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-02-2010, 08:22 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,074
Default The Many Legends of Loup Garou

There are many different stories of “Monster” type things that haunt the Bayous of South Louisiana. There was one in Bayou Coquille, in Lafitte. It was nine feet tall. We would ride down to the shore of Bayou Coquille, late at night. It was located just past “Deadman’s Curve" on the Lafitte Highway. I would park on side of the road and follow the trail on the side of the bayou into the swamp.

I guarantee, I saw that huge dark shadow many times and hauled butt back to the vehicle, cranked the engine, floored the gas peddle, and smoked them tires leaving a cloud of dust and smoke in the air, in an attempt to “Save” the life of the girls I had with me.

I was their Hero!!!!

And there is the famous Honey Island Swamp Monster that many know of. I never even had enough courage to go near the Honey Island Swamp in fear from all the stories I had heard. Heck, I got goose bumps and shivered when I passed on the highway I-59 and saw the sign that stated “Honey Island Swamp Exit”.

And now, there is the Loup Garou also known to the people in Golden Meadows area as Roux-Garou or Rougarou. These are the French versions of the spelling.

As a kid I heard the term RouGarou, but had never seen it written. When I would visit a friends home in the swamps, he would say “We cannot go past that big cypress tree” deeper into the swamp, because "Papaw said the RouGarou will get us”. Or he would say "We have to be asleep by 9:00 pm, cause the RouGarou comes for children that are awake after 9:00 pm".

Here are some images of what many view as the Loup Garou:

Garou 1.jpg

Garou 2.jpg

Garou 3.jpg

Garou 4.jpg

Garou 5.jpg

Garou 6.jpg