SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

View Poll Results: Which outboard would you choose?
Tohatsu 40 two stroke 7 14.29%
Tohatsu 40 four stroke 27 55.10%
Yamaha 40 four stroke fuel injection 13 26.53%
Other Brand non-mercury 2 4.08%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-27-2016, 08:06 AM
Redfish

Cash: 676
Default The great engine debate part 2

I posted the paragraph below several months ago about needing to repower my little boat, with all the comments I got about tohatsu outboards I will more than likely go that route. Farting around on the tohatsu website i see that the four strokes and two strokes weigh the same, in that case is there any advantage going one way or the other. gear ratio in the 4 stroke is 2.08 and the 2 stroke is 1.85, other than having to go with a different prop because of that are there any advantages?

Its time to repower le bateau, I have a 16x48 semi-v alweld with an omc 40hp tiller handle, with power trim and elec start. I'm wanting to repower with a 40hp to be able to go into the lacassine pool, and i want to keep power trim and elec start. I'm a yamaha man and have been looking for my unicorn, a steering motor that was converted to tiller to keep power trim, yamaha doesnt come with power trim in a tiller. Since my search has been going on for a while now I'm beginning to think of other brands that could suit my needs. I looked into the E-tech's but they are significantly heavier than the yamaha. I also looked into the suzuki, and on paper it looks pretty awesome with a bigger displacement and similar weight to yamaha, but you don't see anyone around here running small suzuki's. I WILL NOT PUT A MERCURY ON MY BOAT. So the big thing about this post is I am looking for input from people that have experience with the three motors, evinrude e-tech, yamaha 4 stroke fuel injected, or the suzuki 4 stroke fuel injected.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:28 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,668

I have a buddy with a 50 Suzuki 4 stroke, had it for 5-6 years and loves it. I've never heard much complaints on them even back in the day, other than the old 2 strokes were thirsty.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:40 PM
Flounder

Cash: 485

This site has about 4 members constantly talking good about the 40 4 stroke tohatsu and I wish one of my friends would buy one so I could drive it. Yhey are cheaper, but if you have the money I would make a good bet the Yamaha is better and has way more warranty service centers.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:48 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 713

Depends on how you define "better"? The yamaha is a 40hp unit, no upgrade, it is what it is. The tohatsu is their 40/50 unit, upgrades by pulling the restrictor plate. The Yamaha is a 3 cylinder 45ci engine, the tohatsu is a 3 cylinder 53ci engine. Like they say, "there is no replacement for displacement". Not sure what Yamaha warranty is, the tohatsu has 5 year warranty, and the dealer here removes the restrictor before you take delivery. Again, define "better"? I have run Mercury's 40hp 3 cylinder 45ci unit, nice, but it sure is not anywhere near as strong as the tohatsu. Not even close!
Old 01-04-2017, 07:44 AM
Redfish

Cash: 676

does the 40 four stroke tohatsu have the restrictor plate too, i thought it was just the two strokes.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:18 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun87 View Post
does the 40 four stroke tohatsu have the restrictor plate too, i thought it was just the two strokes.

Yes it is built with a restrictor plate...... But

Lake Area Marine.... when they get in the engines, the first thing they do is take out the restrictors plates.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:19 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunChristian View Post
Depends on how you define "better"? The yamaha is a 40hp unit, no upgrade, it is what it is. The tohatsu is their 40/50 unit, upgrades by pulling the restrictor plate. The Yamaha is a 3 cylinder 45ci engine, the tohatsu is a 3 cylinder 53ci engine. Like they say, "there is no replacement for displacement". Not sure what Yamaha warranty is, the tohatsu has 5 year warranty, and the dealer here removes the restrictor before you take delivery. Again, define "better"? I have run Mercury's 40hp 3 cylinder 45ci unit, nice, but it sure is not anywhere near as strong as the tohatsu. Not even close!
What year was the Mercury 4 cyl efi that could be flashed to a 60..or 64?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2018, 11:48 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

I have had the Tohatsu 40 4 stroke for a year and absolutely love it. Went from a ported 40 merc with 60 carbs and haven't missed that thing. The trips that took me 6 gallons of fuel take me about 3 now. I lost about 4 miles per hour. Big deal lol. I run this motor on a 1650 Xpress and it is a heavy boat. Me, all my fishing gear, 24v trolling motor I run 37-39. No more mixing oil, no more loud motor and smoke. I can't say enough about this motor. Oh, and Lake Area Marine pulls the restricter plate for you so you now have a 50! You won't regret it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2018, 01:06 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 858

Pretty much any Tohatsu, Mercury, or Yamaha is almost the same when 40hp or under. Tohatsu is usually cheaper plus they build Mercury and Yamaha small engines for them. 4 stroke is the way to go, they are quiet and fuel consumption is a lot better.