SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 07-15-2012, 07:01 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 690
Default LDWF cancels houseboat mooring on WMAs

LDWF cancels houseboat mooring on WMAs
Just received a letter from Assistant Secretary Jimmy Anthony saying the LDWF is canceling the mooring of houseboats on the Coastal Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) due to funding and condition of the mooring areas. As a houseboat owner I found this a cruel joke. I received the letter on Friday the 13th, but it was no joke. The Department has shut it down. I find it hard to believe that the Department can't find the few dollars it takes to manage the permitting program. As as far as condition of the mooring areas is concerned, the Wax is just fine.

If anyone else is concerned about this late turn of events please let me know. The Department won't change policy for one person but will for a group of concered tax payers.

What a thing to do this close to the waterfowl season just after the record numbers were announced.

Pattaway@cox.net
Old 07-15-2012, 07:45 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Never hunted at any of these WMAs but it does cost to dredge the channels and it does cost lots more money to do maintenance on these coastal WMAs because of logistics. Everything has to be done by boat which costs fuel, maintenance, extra staff, and just a simple visit to check on things takes all day to do. Hopefully there is some sort of middle ground that can be reached like a fee for mooring and making people sign waivers that the houseboat owners are at their own risk. I would imagine LDWF could and would be sued if a barge comes down and hits a houseboat at night, or if a houseboat is stranded on high ground, it is what it is. Funding is not there and unfortunately cuts have to be made. Ben's Creek WMA is no longer being leased because money is not there, these things cost money and money is not there.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:15 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

Yea me and a bunch of buddies are gonna try to go fight it
Old 07-16-2012, 05:00 AM
Sand Trout

Default Letters to LDWF, State Reps, and Commission Members

I've written letters to all the above and just dropped them in the mail box. If you know others in the same situation please encourage them to do the same as well. We will need a loud voice to change this. Feel free to contact me if you like.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:17 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,245

Wow this is not worth a ****. The are asking for lots off accidents on the calumet cut with people trying to get to the wax
Old 07-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

Buddy just texted me. They overturned this at the wax. Not sure where else if anywhere. But the wax is a go
Old 07-16-2012, 02:45 PM
Sand Trout

Default Checking on status

I'm checking with the New Iberia office to see if they know anything.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:20 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,313

Off another forum

Ricky Aucoin

BayouBucks.com Pro Correspondent
Member's Picture Albums

Breaking news about Houseboats at the Delta
This just in from State representative Stuart Bishop:

Gentlemen,

I have received your emails concerning houseboat mooring on the Atchafalaya Delta WMA. I fully understand and appreciate your concerns pertaining to this issue. The "Wax" is a place that is near and dear to me because I have spent countless hours duck hunting and fishing there myself. I have personally introduced many friends to hunting and fishing through the years on the "Wax" and they continue to enjoy the sport today. Houseboat camping in the area is a way for friends and family to gather and enjoy the natural resources that Louisiana has to offer. I feel that this is a tradition that must not be stopped.

I am relieved to let you know that I received word this morning, July 17th 2012, that the decision to stop houseboat mooring has been changed. Houseboat camping will resume as it has in the past on Loggy Island Pass and Camp Ground Pass. Due to navigational issues, the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries has decided to close houseboat mooring on Alligator Lake and Catfish Pass. I understand that there are people who will be upset about the closing of these two mooring sites, but the safety of the states boaters is of the utmost importance.

It is my honor to represent the outdoorsmen of Louisiana and a duty that I do not take lightly. Please feel free to contact me with any concerns or questions that you may have.

Stuart Bishop

State Representative
District 43
P. O. Box 80993
Lafayette, LA 70508
Office: (337) 981-7409
Cell: (337) 315-1661
Fax: (337) 981-7411
bishops@legis.la.gov

Sometimes they REALLY do listen. Apparently our calls, letters and emails made a difference.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:26 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Thats good to have a compromise - close the ones that will be in danger but keep the others open
Old 07-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Sand Trout

Default Thanks

Thanks for the post!