SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 12-08-2015, 09:42 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 678
Default Lost dog found-SABINE

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449628847.706909.jpgsaw a post several weeks ago where a guy lost his dog NEAR Sabine , just saw this . Figured some people may not see it on fb
Old 12-15-2015, 05:48 PM
Trophy Trout

They found the owner, crazy story.

Miracle in the Marsh

by Diane Borden-Billiot

Hackberry, LA. Amid the remote marshes of the 125,790 acre Sabine National Wildlife Refuge teeming with large alligators, feral hogs, coyotes and millions of ruthless mosquitos, nothing short of a miracle occurred for an old brown dog on Tuesday, December 8, 2015.

Federal officials from USDA Wildlife Services and the US Fish and Wildlife Service were conducting a 3-day feral hog management operation with a helicopter and ground crew. While looking for hogs, a keen-eyed hog spotter saw a brown animal amid some tall grass on an elevated area in the marsh. The helicopter pilot maneuvered the craft back around for the spotter to get a better look. What he saw was not a hog, but a weak looking, old brown retriever with a collar. The pilot said the area was full of enormous alligators and a lot of feral hogs. They couldn’t believe a dog survived out there. The sighting and coordinates of the dog’s location were radioed to the ground crew.

Shortly after the call, the ground crew, available for emergencies and collecting biological samples, was headed on a unique mission to find and save the dog spotted in the outback of Sabine Refuge. Over a levee and through the marsh they went in the airboat. They got to where the dog was supposed to be, but they couldn’t see it through the vegetation. The helicopter crew was able to guide the boat to the dog from the air.

When the boat neared, the crew could see what appeared to be an older female chocolate Labrador retriever atop a muskrat mound, surrounded by tall grass. As they approached, she stood up and started wagging her tail, clearly happy to see people. The crew offered her bread from their lunch to let her know that they were friendly and she ate it with no problem. She was eager to get into the boat, but needed some assistance due to her weakened condition. Once underway back to the boat launch, the dog seemed very comfortable being in the boat and alertly watched ducks fly as they travelled back through the marsh.

The dog had no identification and was not micro-chipped, but clearly had belonged to someone. A photo of the dog was sent to the Refuge’s information officer, who immediately posted it on a facebook site for lost and found pets. At the end of the work day, the dog was transferred to the refuge information officer, also a dog enthusiast, who ensured that she was cared for that evening, while continuing to search for the owner through social media.

Unbelievably, after the lost dog was listed on four separate fb sites, where her photo and information was shared over a 1000 times and possibly seen by more than 100,000 people, the information officer received a text at 10:30 pm the same day. The astonished woman wasn’t sure, but believed the dog in the photo was her husband’s dog that they had been informed was dead for several weeks.

The young couple, believing this was possibly their dog, shared that they had a 9-year old female chocolate Labrador retriever, who had been raised and trained by the husband when he was a teenager. The dog had been used for waterfowl hunting many years and had retrieved 1000’s of birds throughout her life. However, in recent years as their family became busy with building a home, having a baby, and keeping up with work there was less time for hunting, so “Brandi” wasn’t getting to retrieve as much as in the past. An arrangement was made for Brandi to stay with, and hunt for, another hunter in the community during the current waterfowl season and do what she loves, “retrieve”.

Unfortunately, about mid-November or so, they received a phone call from the man keeping and using Brandi to hunt. He indicated that she had passed away while hunting out on the refuge. Knowing that their dog was older and possibly a bit overweight, they thought maybe something had happened to her heart. They grieved the loss of their dog of 9 years and moved on with their busy lives. Until one night, weeks later, when scrolling through fb, they see a dog that looks like their dog, and it was found near where theirs was hunted. They can’t believe that it can be, because theirs has passed, but it really looks like their dog. Disbelief, shock, uncertainty, and questions led to a text just to ask a few questions, because that really looks like their dog.

Questions, texts, and photos were passed between the information officer and the woman until midnight, ending with a positive vibe that as farfetched as it seemed, every answer she was given to her questions, built a stronger and stronger case that this was their dog. It was agreed that the only way to know for sure was to have the couple come see the dog in person the next day.

The following morning the refuge information officer received a call from the woman to ask if her husband could come see the dog before going to work, just in case. Arrangements were made for the possible dog owner to see the dog right away. As soon as the young man saw the dog in the kennel, he said, “That’s my dog.” He opened the kennel door and knelt down on one knee, choked up with emotion, he said nothing as he gently stroked the dog’s head back and forth, letting his tears fall.

Brandi went home and her vet checkup deemed her in good shape other than being underweight. She has been prescribed puppy chow for a while to build her back up after losing 15-20 pounds while surviving the elements and escaping predation. She is reported in good spirits, happy to see her Yorkie friend, and enjoying her new bed.

Yes, instead of being dead, she had disappeared during a hunt and when she wasn’t found after several days, she was assumed and reported as deceased. The odds were astronomical that this dog survived for weeks among all those predators, was then spotted by a man working from a helicopter that was only in that area on that day, then rescued because a ground crew was available at just that time, and then reunited with her original owners who weren’t even aware she was alive - all within 24 hours; that is nothing short of a miracle.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:28 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,810

Wow!!! What a great story.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:28 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,044

I wonder how many times this actually happens? That was a great story
Old 12-15-2015, 09:00 PM
Redfish

Cash: 978

So they lent the dog to a friend. He then takes the dog hunting, leaves the dog in the marsh and tells the family the dog died. Am I missing something?
Old 12-15-2015, 09:16 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

Great story and ending. I would have one less friend after I beat him. To me whoever left that dog for dead should be arrested!
Old 12-15-2015, 10:15 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull n Pray View Post
So they lent the dog to a friend. He then takes the dog hunting, leaves the dog in the marsh and tells the family the dog died. Am I missing something?

I wouldn't say the guy " left the dog" , it sounded like the dog got lost and they couldn't find him.. So they assume the dog was dead.
I'd like to know how far the dog traveled from the spot he was lost to where he was found.
Tough dog either way
Old 12-15-2015, 10:24 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshrunner757 View Post
Great story and ending. I would have one less friend after I beat him. To me whoever left that dog for dead should be arrested!
I don't know any background on this story but I have been on a hunt where my buddies dog disappeared into the Roseau after a retreive and we dang near killed ourself looking for that dog through the Roseau hell. Had to leave knowng she was still out there and that sucked. He did find the dog a few days later, and she was ok.

My buddy didn't realize his dog was almost deaf and I can almost guarantee that 11 year old lab was dang near deaf.

Gotta be real careful hunting with an older dog or one who's been shot over too many times; I beleive hearing loss is the root cause for most lost dogs while hunting.

I'm glad they got her back, awesome story.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:34 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,939

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull n Pray View Post
Great story, after loosing a great dog recently I could picture the dude in my head hugging the dog in the kennel tears falling.

As for the guy hunting the dog...one good kick in the nuts and done...