SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 11-21-2016, 05:01 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829
Default Reef protection

I'm looking for info

I thought we passed a law where all reefs that were man made.

Were protected from any kind of commercial fishing

Etc oyster fishing
Old 11-21-2016, 05:46 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,300

Thought so also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2016, 05:54 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
I'm looking for info

I thought we passed a law where all reefs that were man made.

Were protected from any kind of commercial fishing

Etc oyster fishing

So would that mean Charter captains can't fish over man made oyster reefs ??? If you are accepting money for a charter are you not a commercial fisherman ???
Old 11-21-2016, 06:19 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil bubba View Post
So would that mean Charter captains can't fish over man made oyster reefs ??? If you are accepting money for a charter are you not a commercial fisherman ???
Guides are not commercial fisherman
Old 11-21-2016, 06:21 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Rumor is they will allow after Jan 1st
To oyster dredge on Chenier south

But I'm almost 100% they passed a law that states zero commercial Harvest
Old 11-21-2016, 06:51 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

Don't get me wrong , I grew up commercial fishing and have nothing against guides...My boat had to be registered commercial , my gear had to be license commercial , I had to have a vessel license , and a commercial fisherman's license to sell for money....Guides are selling their service for money....You accept money to take people on your boat...It is a business ... Actually you should not be allowed to personally keep any gamefish while on a charter because you are not fishing recreationally....
Old 11-21-2016, 07:47 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,109

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil bubba View Post
Don't get me wrong , I grew up commercial fishing and have nothing against guides...My boat had to be registered commercial , my gear had to be license commercial , I had to have a vessel license , and a commercial fisherman's license to sell for money....Guides are selling their service for money....You accept money to take people on your boat...It is a business ... Actually you should not be allowed to personally keep any gamefish while on a charter because you are not fishing recreationally....

Charter guides are not commercial fisherman.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:58 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

Had an oyster boat come by me on south cheniere bout a month ago with a cameraman on board, cut about 15 donuts, caught some oysters, and rolled out.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:24 PM
Redfish

Cash: 869
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
I have touched base with some folks at the LDWF office in Baton Rouge. It seems as if the Commission is likely to decide tomorrow what the oyster harvest regulations on Big Lake will be next year. If the decision is to be made tomorrow, it may be too late to submit comments by email after the meeting.

Therefore, I would recommend contacting Commission members today with your input regarding oystering. Some points to consider:

1. Damage to oyster reefs by dredging not only harms the future of the oyster fishery, but also harms the entire ecosystem and fishery.

2. Healthy oyster reefs provide essential ecosystem services including filtering of anthropogenic inputs, benthopelagic coupling, biological resistance to algae blooms and subsequent hypoxia, nursery areas for finfish, areas of concentrated benthos, and high quality habitat.

3. Over harvesting of oysters was a key factor in the decline of many fisheries along the southeastern Atlantic and Gulf coasts of the United States, including the Chesapeake Bay and Galveston Bay.

4. Scientists estimate that each 10 square meters of high quality oyster reefs produce an additional 2.6 kg/year of finfish and large crustaceans.

Some references:

Beck, M. W., R. D. Brumbaugh, L. Airoldi, A. Carranza, L. D. Coen, C. Crawford, O. Defeo, G. J. Edgar, B. Hancock, M. C. Kay, H. S. Lenihan, M. W. Luckenbach, C. L. Toropova, G. F. Zhang, and X. M. Guo. 2011. Oyster Reefs at Risk and Recommendations for Conservation, Restoration, and Management. Bioscience 61:107-116.

Beck, M. W., K. L. Heck, K. W. Able, D. L. Childers, D. B. Eggleston, B. M. Gillanders, B. Halpern, C. G. Hays, K. Hoshino, T. J. Minello, R. J. Orth, P. F. Sheridan, and M. R. Weinstein. 2001. The Identification, Conservation, and Management of Estuarine and Marine Nurseries for Fish and Invertebrates. Bioscience 51:633-641.

Coen, L. D. and R. E. Grizzle. 2007. The importance of habitat created by molluscan shellfish to managed species along the Atlantic coast of the United States. ASMFC Management Series #8.

Grabowski, J. H., and C. H. Peterson. 2007. Restoring Oyster Reefs To Recover Ecosystem Services, p. 281 – 298. In: Ecosystems Engineers: Plants to Protists. K. Cuddington, J. E. Byers, W. G. Wilson, and A. Hastings (eds.). Academic Press, Burlington, MA.

Henson, M. 1993. The History of Galveston Bay Resource Utilization. Webster, Texas.

Newell, R. I. E. 2004. Ecosystem Influences of Natural and Cultivated Populations of Suspension-Feeding Bivalve Molluscs: A Review. Journal of Shellfish Research 23:51-61.

Peterson, C. H., I. H. Grabowski, and S. P. Powers. (2003). Estimated Enhancement of Fish Production Resulting from Restoring Oyster Reef Habitat: Quantitative Valuation. Marine Ecology Progress Series 264:249-264.

Plunket, J. T. 2003. A Comparison Of Finfish Assemblages on Subtidal Oyster Shell (Clutched Oyster Lease) and Mud Bottom in Barataria Bay, Louisiana. LSU Thesis. HYPERLINK "http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-0626103-163535/unrestricted/Plunket_thesis.pdf"

Plunket, J. and M. K. La Peyre. 2005. Oyster Beds as Fish and Macroinvertebrate Habitat in Barataria Bay, Louisiana. Bulletin of Marine Science 77:155-164.

Rothschild, B. J., J. S. Ault, P. Goulletquer, and M. Heral. 1994. Decline of the Chesapeake Bay Oyster Population - A Century of Habitat Destruction and Overfishing. Marine Ecology-Progress Series 111:29-39.
Item # 3 above is very important for the future of the Calcasieu Estuary.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:28 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Found info I was looking for

Yes they do have a bill that protected all artificial reefs

But politicians and lobbyists found a loop hole on the south Chenier reef that will
Allow them to dredge on it .

It's a dame that oyster fisherman will destroy a man made reef that was built to help support of our estuary .

Now it looks victim to same destruction of West Cove
Old 11-22-2016, 01:45 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 4,409

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle creek View Post
Had an oyster boat come by me on south cheniere bout a month ago with a cameraman on board, cut about 15 donuts, caught some oysters, and rolled out.
Yep, I was there too and saw that. I think you and I were the only two boats there.

Man, I hate to see them allowed to hit Chenn. South.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:57 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Found info I was looking for

Yes they do have a bill that protected all artificial reefs

But politicians and lobbyists found a loop hole on the south Chenier reef that will
Allow them to dredge on it .

It's a dame that oyster fisherman will destroy a man made reef that was built to help support of our estuary .

Now it looks victim to same destruction of West Cove
Here ya go Dub.....

http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/show...ght=Chesapeake
Old 11-22-2016, 02:55 PM
Flounder

Cash: 612

Government at its best....
Old 11-22-2016, 03:23 PM
Flounder

Cash: 612

How about contacting a local news outlet, KPLC? Shine some light on the situation.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:33 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

I can promise you this
Oyster season is about to close for 7-9 years

They are getting pressure bad right now
Old 11-22-2016, 04:47 PM
Redfish

Good read on what happened in Chesepeake Bay in the late 1800s.

http://blog.nature.org/science/2016/...ap-technology/
Old 11-22-2016, 06:32 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 826

Quote:
I can promise you this
Oyster season is about to close for 7-9 years

They are getting pressure bad right now
And I hope they do close. The jobs can be replaced and gulf oysters are junk anyway.