SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 04-22-2014, 07:47 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,382
Default Jig vs Popping cork

How many of you have fished them side by side and seen one out fish the other? I personally hate the cork due to its boring and a pain to cast. I know the cork is affective but how many SC are loyal to it.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:11 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

i only fish a cork year round...that being said i also seldom fish water deeper than 12 feet...i use i guess you call it a cigar float...weighted, with 1 -1/8 ounce jighead and pearl white 3in. gulp shrimp 18 in. under....other than that its a double rig with 1/4 on top and 1/8 on bottom ... with 2inch white sac a lait jigs.....only baits in my box...the smaller weight on bottom keeps it from passing up the top when casting , lees tangles...i also cut the wire on top put it in a vice and wrap end around a nail i inch from float bead....no more bent wire problems...
Old 04-22-2014, 08:20 AM
Ling

Cash: 505

I hate fishing a cork but ill fish with whatever works.... so at times it seems to me the cork will out fish a jig mainly bc it keeps the bait in the strike zone for a longer period of time. Although I try to fish topwater or mirrodines 90% of the time tho...
Old 04-22-2014, 08:25 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,382

Yak I'm with you, I will throw a spook all day and catch a couple over a deck full off a jig. Just isn't as fun to me.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:30 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,150

I enjoy fishing with a jig much more but alas I suck at it. More confidence with a cork set up.

Love the thumpuploadfromtaptalk1398173379133.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-22-2014, 08:37 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

I use a cork when the fish are less active in the winter and more often cast and retrieve or jig in the summer when they are more aggressive and chasing baits.

I find most people who don't like corks are still using the old fashioned "popping" corks like this: http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/h-h-...ge&N=310008596

but if you use the clip on egg corks like these: http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/coma...23?N=310008596
then you wont have any more tangled lines, even with double rigs if they get wrapped up, a pop or two and it comes undone and straightens out.

I use the unweighted for double rigs and the weighted one for single rigs.

the clicker corks with the wires and beads and such are just too much for your line to get tangled in so I don't use em. when you try the clip on style egg corks, you will find all your frustrations with using corks will go away.

like anything corks are just another form of presentation and they can save a trip when fish are biting very slow and you need to keep the bait in the strike zone fish are reacting to or if they aren't biting and having that bait sitting in their face not moving away gets a reaction bite (or a frustration bite) from them so you don't go home empty handed.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:44 AM
Ling

Cash: 505

I just don't like corks bc to me its not exciting... unless someone in the boats catchin on them and im not... then ill switch. lol
Old 04-22-2014, 09:08 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

Whatever's clever over here. Sometimes I feel a cork helps with reaction strike and sometimes I won't touch it if I think jig or top water or suspending twitch would be more effective

"Go ahead, share your opinion! I won't cry"
Old 04-22-2014, 09:17 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,226

Fishing reefs out of VB and the pass, I find the small popping cork (un-weighted) with a 1/4 to 1/8 oz fished with the grub or cocohoe tails to be very effective in finding where the fish are located on the reefs. This set up is my go to method, if that doesn't work then tsunami swim shad and mirodines go next.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:28 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,020

I keep a cork handy. If I'm on fish and they quit sometimes they've just moved up the water column. I fished next to a guide one time and I was using the cork, he was using jig. I had been catching fish on the jig all morning, then the tide changed and it seems all the fish came to the surface and I could buy a strike on a jig, but they were hitting it below the cork 18" below the surface. So I think sometimes it's a matter of working the entire water column.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:10 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

All depends on what type of fisherman you are. I never used a cork ( have on few small occasion over last 10 years)

If you can work a plastic you will never need a cork

I have never been out fished in my boat by a popping cork "Never"
Old 04-22-2014, 10:25 AM
Red Snapper

not learning to fish with a cork is like going into battle with your gun only half full of bullets.

cork fishing is just suspended bait fishing and like any form of fishing technic there are differences in how you use it to present different things to the fish.

there are always times corks will out fish non cork fishing and visa versa so that's why everyone comes to the launch with different results in the ice chest. learn all the styles and technics of each style of fishing and you will be better prepared to find what works best on any given day in any conditions.

to say only use it or never use it is just silly, find what works to catch fish that day and do THAT, whatever that is. if you choose to never use or practice one style of fishing then of course you wont have much success when you do try it, because you haven't honed your skills with it.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:30 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
not learning to fish with a cork is like going into battle with your gun only half full of bullets.

cork fishing is just suspended bait fishing and like any form of fishing technic there are differences in how you use it to present different things to the fish.

there are always times corks will out fish non cork fishing and visa versa so that's why everyone comes to the launch with different results in the ice chest. learn all the styles and technics of each style of fishing and you will be better prepared to find what works best on any given day in any conditions.

to say only use it or never use it is just silly, find what works to catch fish that day and do THAT, whatever that is. if you choose to never use or practice one style of fishing then of course you wont have much success when you do try it, because you haven't honed your skills with it.

Not learning to select and fish a lure so you can leave the cork is the real travesty.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:35 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
Not learning to select and fish a lure so you can leave the cork is the real travesty.
so is believing the fish MUST adhere to your style of presentation no matter what

what is a real travesty is refusing to try one very productive, successful, and popular style of presentation out of some form of feeling its beneath you..
Old 04-22-2014, 10:44 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

[QUO TE=keakar;683273]so is believing the fish MUST adhere to your style of presentation no matter what

what is a real travesty is refusing to try one very productive, successful, and popular style of presentation out of some form of feeling its beneath you..[/QUOTE]

Sound a little defensive and unacceptable of opinions that differ from yours. Sounds like everyone here should adhere to your concrete beliefs.

I got bored with a cork when I was 8, and my 8 year old is bored with corks.

Sorry my differing opinion upsets you.

And nobody implied that it was beneath them, you are interpreting that to be the case either because of a chip on your shoulder or you just like confrontation.

I have corks in my boat, and have used them to locate like mentioned above. The rare occasion I do use them to locate, I switch to the more exciting method TO ME.

The OP asked for opinions from everyone. He didn't state that he wanted opinions that supported his or your thought process either way.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:00 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,424

Quote:
I use a cork when the fish are less active in the winter and more often cast and retrieve or jig in the summer when they are more aggressive and chasing baits.

I find most people who don't like corks are still using the old fashioned "popping" corks like this: http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/h-h-...ge&N=310008596

but if you use the clip on egg corks like these: http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/coma...23?N=310008596
then you wont have any more tangled lines, even with double rigs if they get wrapped up, a pop or two and it comes undone and straightens out.

I use the unweighted for double rigs and the weighted one for single rigs.

the clicker corks with the wires and beads and such are just too much for your line to get tangled in so I don't use em. when you try the clip on style egg corks, you will find all your frustrations with using corks will go away.

like anything corks are just another form of presentation and they can save a trip when fish are biting very slow and you need to keep the bait in the strike zone fish are reacting to or if they aren't biting and having that bait sitting in their face not moving away gets a reaction bite (or a frustration bite) from them so you don't go home empty handed.
A popping cork is not my first choice but I do use them occasionally, I like the smaller old fashioned popping corks best because they make a better popping sound and they don't kink and weaken your line like the lemon clip on corks. My sister uses the small red clip on corks with live mullet and she catches just fine. The old fashioned corks get worn and start to slip on the line and you have to put a double half hitch on the stick. Every method has its pluses and minuses, whatever works for you. Popping corks are a tool, sometimes they seem to me to be the best tool for the job. You can use a hammer for everything but sometimes a screwdriver works better. Just my 2c.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:06 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

Quote:

i say i only use a cork and "W" says he never uses one and i don't see anything "SILLY" about it...i happen to like watching a cork run along the bank with a red on or a trout smacking the hell out of it and 90% of where i fish the cork is necessary.....i pulled a limit of reds yesterday out of 10 inches of water with a 1/8 ounce jighead scraped to make lighter so it wouldn't get hung on oysters and without the weighted cork no one could have thrown that far and the cork helps lift the jig instead of dragging it.....i also efficiently fish lake P shoreline with a cork in stumps you couldn't drag a jig....when i can come in with limits of fish regularly and until that changes i'll ONLY fish with my SILLY cork...
Old 04-22-2014, 11:18 AM
Sailfish

I knew this would be a good thread
Old 04-22-2014, 11:22 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

If my customer are willing to learn I rather teach then great techniques and skills to fish a plastic, than just throw a cork and pop!
Old 04-22-2014, 11:23 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
If my customer are willing to learn I rather teach then great techniques and skills to fish a plastic, than just throw a cork and pop!
I need to book a trip with you