SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion > Offshore Fishing Reports

Offshore Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite offshore spots here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-17-2013, 07:44 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726
Default 2 long days

The last 2 days have been from 5:00 in the morning till about 9:00 pm and with very little to show for it. That being said it was still very interesting. I was decking for Mike Jeffcoat this weekend. Every day we go out we leave the docks with high hopes. The first day was no exception. The water was flat calm which is a condition I personally do not like. Seems when the water is dead so are the fish. To add insult to injury there was no current.

We got to our destination in about an hour and started marking good fish right away. The young kid was the hot hand with the strikes but for some reason he kept missing them. We had a lot of cut offs but we finally got one in.

It was going to be another pick day. Here is a picture of Eddie Burgers boat just to show how dead the waters were.

At 1:05 we get our first tuna in the boat and our second is hooked up at 1:20. A nice blackfin and a small yellowfin.

That was it for the "hot" action. It is almost 4:00 and we are down to our last bait out. I am starting to clean up the boat a little when the reel on the back starts singing. My first words were "That's what we are we want". It was just what we wanted to end the day with. A 50-60 class yellowfin gave us some of releaf and mad the box look better.

Yesterday we had a fun trip so there was not as much pressure to load up. It was going to be as relaxed as the morning looked.

I even fished a little and got a few beeliners. Other names for them are mingo and vermilion snapper. The water was a little rougher. We anchored up and we drifted but both ways produced about the same results. On one of the drifts we landed this beautifull 30 plus inch African Pompano.

With 1 blackfin and 1 amberjack in the box and about a dozen vermilion snapper to show we made a quick stop at a nearby rig. 2 of us drop down and we both loose our bait right away. On the second drop at about 150 feet I hook up and we pull this hog out of the rig. I gave the rod to Joann and she finishes off the fish as it tried to finish her off.

I thought she would pass the rod but her husband knows her better than that. She had so much in reserve she never had to even rest before the picture as some of the men do.

2 long days and not much to show for it. Talked to Eddie last night and he struggled on the other side yesterday with only a few blackfin to show for his efforts. Both sides are producing about the same. Just a tough weekend overall.

Life is Good!
Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM