SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 08-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,752
Default Hunting Dog Worming Schedule

How often do you guys worm your hunting dogs? I have heard schedules that go anywhere from every two months to every 6 months. Also, what do you guys use to worm your dogs. I have figured out the dose to use the Safeguard suspension for goats on my dogs. It comes out a heck of a lot cheaper than using the granules marketed for dogs.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:29 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Where are they kept? Dirt....at least every 2-3 months. Concrete thats kept clean every 6 months.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

well u know i brought mine to vet the other day and he said he had a slight case. i give mine once a month. he also said that all the heartworm pills are no longer 100% preventitive. he told me to finish the ivaheart i been giving him and then when im done he is gonna start fixing me up with injections. im sure thats gonna be cheap!
Old 08-19-2009, 10:53 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 768

I give mine the pill every month never had a problem with any of my dogs. My lab is pretty important to me and like part of the family so im not gonna go cheap on his azz.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:54 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

I never use anything specifically for hook, round or whip worms. I kept my dog on a slab, but he ran around the yard and some ponds a lot.
I use a once a month worm pill for heart worms called Heartgard and now and then he would get whip worms. The vet changed him to Interceptor and he never had the whip worms again. It took care of all worms with a once a month pill.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:03 AM
Ling

Heres a little info that most Vets don't like giving out.
Ivamec liquid form Cattle & Swine. DO NOT USE THE IVOMEC PLUS. 1/10cc per 10lbs of body weight. Can be injected or given by mouth. It's approx $40 a bottle & a bottle will last for years for just one dog, keep in the refrig.. I trained labs for almost 17 years till I started working on the road. I have 2 now the oldest will be 16 years old in Dec. Has never been kept inside. No worms, no problems.
Ivomec will not take care of tape worms.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,935

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtretrievers View Post
Heres a little info that most Vets don't like giving out.
Ivamec liquid form Cattle & Swine. DO NOT USE THE IVOMEC PLUS. 1/10cc per 10lbs of body weight. Can be injected or given by mouth. It's approx $40 a bottle & a bottle will last for years for just one dog, keep in the refrig.. I trained labs for almost 17 years till I started working on the road. I have 2 now the oldest will be 16 years old in Dec. Has never been kept inside. No worms, no problems.
Ivomec will not take care of tape worms.
you are right on the Ivamec. My dog got heartworms while on the interceptor but we caught it in time Vet told me that he could treat them but wasnt bad,said he only had a couple and they would die off using Ivamec. This is what the use to treat heartworms but in a big dosage twice. He got tested the other day and just barely showed up so hopefuly next time he will be cleared.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:03 PM
Flounder

Cash: 650

Been using Ivomec for heartworms for at least 8 yrs. I've always given it orally. None of my dogs have had heartworms. They are treated once a month and they stay on concrete kennels. For stomach and other worms, I use Nemex every three months.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,752
Default Clarification

Sorry Guys, I should have clarified myself. I also use Ivomec once a month for Heartworms. I am talking about worm meds for roundworms, tapeworms, and hookworms. As for going cheap, what many people don't understand is that most brands use the exact same meds in wormers for horses, cattle, and dogs. Safeguard for instance used fenbendazole as their main ingredient in all their worm medicines. They just mark the hell out of the meds for dogs. If you do some simple math, you can figure out the dose such as I did. Most people don't know, but horses, cattle, and goats, take 10x less amount of meds than a dog. Go online and read the labels. Horses, Cattle, and goats dose at 2.27mg per lb. Dogs dose at 22.7 mg per pound. Now, you can pay 15 - 30 bucks per pkg of worm medicine, but I'm going to use my head, use the exact same medicine, but buy it at a cheaper price. I use the 125ml bottle of Safeguard for Goats and I can worm my dog for almost 4 - 3 round intervals for a total cost of $17.99.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:38 PM
Ling

For round & hookworms use Strongid. Should be able to find it at the feed stores or Co-ops & Tractor supply. I don't normally treat for tapeworms but maybe once a year or when they are seen. Which is very seldom. Over the past 20 years have only had maybe 5 cases of tapeworms out of a hundred Labs. Tapeworms are treatable.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:37 PM
Swordfish

Maybe I'll give ivomec a try
Old 08-19-2009, 04:44 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 643

A 50 dollar boddle of ivomes will outlast your dog, once a month 1 tenth of a cc for every 10 lbs... cant beat it with a stick
Old 08-19-2009, 04:49 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,935

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtretrievers View Post
For round & hookworms use Strongid. Should be able to find it at the feed stores or Co-ops & Tractor supply. I don't normally treat for tapeworms but maybe once a year or when they are seen. Which is very seldom. Over the past 20 years have only had maybe 5 cases of tapeworms out of a hundred Labs. Tapeworms are treatable.
yes when I do see worms in there stool I go to the vet and get a 5.00 pill and thats over with.This dog once and my others maybe three times
Old 08-19-2009, 05:23 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 809

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
well u know i brought mine to vet the other day and he said he had a slight case. i give mine once a month. he also said that all the heartworm pills are no longer 100% preventitive. he told me to finish the ivaheart i been giving him and then when im done he is gonna start fixing me up with injections. im sure thats gonna be cheap!
Speckator,
The vet changed my lab to the injections awhile back.
He gave me 12 needles already filled and it was cheaper than the pills.
I couldn't believe it.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJ View Post
Speckator,
The vet changed my lab to the injections awhile back.
He gave me 12 needles already filled and it was cheaper than the pills.
I couldn't believe it.
thanks i am going see him friday!
Old 08-19-2009, 08:23 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,480

Hey guys, here's the scoop. You can use ivomec at that dose. PLEASE make sure your dog is heartworm negative before using this product. If your dog has heartworms he could potentially have a fatal anaphylactic reaction to the immature worms dying. Just a heads-up. Mark LSU-SVM 93