SaltyCajun.com http://www.boltonford.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 02-14-2015, 08:54 AM
Redfish

Cash: 837
Default Preparing to Duck Hunt

I'm 51 and never duck hunted and next year want to change that. But I need help. First a little background: I grew up in Va dear hunting since age 4, moved to La at 14 and continued hunting where my dad could find places to do so. Moved to New Mexico after I got married and lived there 9 years, hunted deer, elk, antelope, and quail and dove all with my dad and brother. BUT I moved back to south Louisiana 19 years ago and have not hunted, just fished. Brother and Dad was still back in NM and so I never got into hunting down here again.

So now I want to duck hunt, but I don't want to buy a mud-boat, and four wheeler or buy a lease. I'd like to hunt from my kayak. I don't mind walking or paddling 3-5 miles. Are there good hunting areas anywhere in Louisiana that can be accessed by kayak or foot? Also what is intimidating is that I don't know my ducks, and worried about hitting wrong one and getting fined or arrested . What are the common ducks in Louisiana and are their any good sources to learn to recognize them?

Sorry for the long post, but I look forward to all the advice you can give.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:06 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

Take a few guided trips to learn the ins and outs / identifying your ducks . If you have a larger boat to get you down river then kayak in Venice would be a good place
Old 02-14-2015, 04:38 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Ldwf usually has some pocket waterfowl guides at their offices. Another good guide is the LeMaster method. May wanna start learning differences between puddle ducks and diving ducks then go from there. Almost every puddle duck you will encounter in Louisiana can be found right now at the wildlife drive at Cameron Prairie and you can sit and watch and listen up close from your vehicle or get out and walk around.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:21 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,213

Sabine Refuge south of Hackberry has a few places you could walk in or kayak in. Call the refuge office for more information. Also ask about the senior citizen lottery hunts in Cameron Prairie and Lacassine Refuges. I think the minimum age is 50. Good luck
Old 04-01-2015, 10:28 AM
Flounder

Cash: 688
Default Kayack only

East area of Sabine Reserve, east Hwy 27 is only for Kayack and trolling motors, you can kill good ducks there a be alone, very few hunters. Get a pamplet on line and look.