SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 11-28-2016, 05:19 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,329
Hairout Trespasser / Thief

I'll start with I hate a trespasser! In my mind they are nothing but a thief looking to steal something that isn't theirs. My family and I own a few different pieces of property in Avoyelles and Rapids parish. On two of the different pieces, I got pics of a poacher, thief or trespasser... Pick what ever you want to call them. From experience, what has been the best way to deal with these guys? The problem I am having is I'm sure they are local guys and we don't live around there. I'm worried if I get the local cops involved, it will just turn out worse in the long run with all the damage they will do when we are not there. See attached pic! This is the guy in Rapids parish. Anybody know him?

Thanks.

Josh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MFDC3887.jpg (147.0 KB, 1041 views)
Old 11-28-2016, 06:04 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,474

It's unfortunate that the locals around there know the land owners are not. I understand your position. It's a touchy situation for sure. However, letting this guy off the hook will NOT solve the problem of future trespassing. It's a good photo, I'm sure he would be easily IDed. Good luck.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:40 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 921

go to the local piggly wiggly or six-pack plus store where all the locals hang out and post that pic on every thing that you can stick it too.

put a title that reads REWARD FOR IDENTIFYING THIS POACHER CONTINGENT ON HIM BEING CONVICTED.

everybody in town will know who he is, and you might even get his name from some of his dirtbag buddies.

once u findout who he is, pay a crackhead a few bucks to 'get rid' of him, because he will never stop poaching your land.

good luck.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:02 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 2,156

Alert the police but don't press charges.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:53 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,071

I had a similar situation.

One suggestion...If you only care to deer hunt...Find another local that likes to turkey hunt or squirrel or whatever. Give up those rights in return to keep poachers off/keep an eye on the place.

In my situation, I didn't get up to hunt except for twice a year on my land. A local essentially hunted my land with me. He actually paid me a lease fee and got the trespassers off. Win Win!
Old 11-29-2016, 11:42 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrchip1 View Post
Alert the police but don't press charges.
I did this for our other piece of property. I had pics of the guy along with his truck, so it was pretty easy to identify him. I had a report filed, but didn't press charges as we don't live there and I want to come back to my place in one piece.

Josh
Old 11-29-2016, 11:43 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodKnot View Post

One suggestion...If you only care to deer hunt...Find another local that likes to turkey hunt or squirrel or whatever. Give up those rights in return to keep poachers off/keep an eye on the place.

In my situation, I didn't get up to hunt except for twice a year on my land. A local essentially hunted my land with me. He actually paid me a lease fee and got the trespassers off. Win Win!
I like this idea. I'll have to visit with some of the locals. We normally deer hunt and not much else.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:04 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,152

Screw that! Go after his *** and press as many charges as possible. And continue to do it. It's your land, why should you have to reform bc of them? On my land, I watch after my neighbors land and they after mine. We know which vehicles should be on it.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:43 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:

My father in law does the same thing. They pay the lease to deer hunt, they have a local guy who lives 4 miles away that turkey hunts only.

My FIL pays the lease and deer hunts. The local hunts turkeys, bushhogs the ROW 4 times a year and keeps an eye on the place, its a win/win for everyone.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:30 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 454

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopete View Post
go to the local piggly wiggly or six-pack plus store where all the locals hang out and post that pic on every thing that you can stick it too.

put a title that reads REWARD FOR IDENTIFYING THIS POACHER CONTINGENT ON HIM BEING CONVICTED.

everybody in town will know who he is, and you might even get his name from some of his dirtbag buddies.

once u findout who he is, pay a crackhead a few bucks to 'get rid' of him, because he will never stop poaching your land.

good luck.

You must manage land professionally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2016, 08:53 AM
Redfish

Cash: 639

Quote:

this guy is wise, i support that 100%
Old 11-30-2016, 12:36 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 978

I had a similar situation with a friend who had leased a couple of sections around Buras for duck hunting. The locals would hunt the blinds during the week days, we would hunt the weekends. The lease holders that complained usually had a bonfire held at their hunting camp that they were not invited to. My friend accepted that the locals felt they had a God given right to hunt in 'their back yard'; he called it the Buras Duck Tax.

It sucks but unless you have 'eyes on the property' from another local, you may have to accept it. A conversation with the Sheriff would not hurt...unless it is his BIL that you caught on camera!
Old 11-30-2016, 01:16 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

How is the property usually accessed? Are they riding in on a truck/atv that you could gate off their access, or are they walking in?

I'm kind of liking jopete's crackhead idea!
Old 11-30-2016, 03:01 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
How is the property usually accessed? Are they riding in on a truck/atv that you could gate off their access, or are they walking in?

I'm kind of liking jopete's crackhead idea!
They are more then likely walking in on the Rapids piece. It's not much property, so my guess is it's a neighbor. I plan to put up a bunch of signs next week so they get the hint that someone is watching the property.

On the piece in Avoyelles, they are riding in with their truck. We are in the process of getting our permits to get our fence and gate up to slow them down.

I like his idea also, but I also like to hunt, so I will have to stay away from his ideas!
Old 12-01-2016, 02:13 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

I say hammer their azz ! Call the cops ! I'm sick of the "local" entitlement mindset
Old 12-01-2016, 03:18 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,071
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexOrtego View Post
this guy is wise, i support that 100%
Someone called me wise! Made my day!!
Old 12-14-2016, 01:29 PM
Redfish

Cash: 773

He will steal your camera next time....
Old 12-14-2016, 03:14 PM
Trophy Trout

I posted the property this weekend, so if they come back they know someone has been around. I also talked to some of the locals, and they pointed out where he lives, (near by) but they couldn't think of his name. I was in a hurry to get on the stand, so I wasn't able to pay him a visit. I also visited with a sheriff who was passing on the road while I was putting up my signs. We will track him down.