SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 08-29-2009, 11:31 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,391
Default Hunting dogs??

Ok guys and gals. I have always loved labs and plan on getting another sometime soon. What's some of ya'lls opinions as far as color, demeanor, size. I personally like yellows.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:36 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

I had a chocolate female for 15 years. So so hunting dog. Had to put to sleep.
I had a yellow female for 12 years. Great hunting dog. Someone stole her, but she was getting too old for my big pond, but she still wanted to hunt.
I had a black male for 10 years. Good dog, but he wouldn't use his nose like my other dogs. He was also very high strung. Never gave up on a duck. But would not listen to my wife. He was a dominant dog and a little too rough for kids. He died in the vet's office of some kind of inherited disease that caused his stomach to bust open.
My wife won't let me have a male again.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
I had a chocolate female for 15 years. So so hunting dog. Had to put to sleep.
I had a yellow female for 12 years. Great hunting dog. Someone stole her, but she was getting too old for my big pond, but she still wanted to hunt.
I had a black male for 10 years. Good dog, but he wouldn't use his nose like my other dogs. He was also very high strung. Never gave up on a duck. But would not listen to my wife. He was a dominant dog and a little too rough for kids. He died in the vet's office of some kind of inherited disease that caused his stomach to bust open.
My wife won't let me have a male again.
It's weird how they are. A friend of mine had a black male that was just as laid back as ever and another buddy had a yellow male that would fight and actually try to kill every male dog he came around. Both dogs tied up at the camp one year and it got ugly. LOL
Old 08-29-2009, 11:45 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

None of my dogs were aggressive enough to fight. They all liked to play with other dogs.
Just the black dog was too strong and rambunchous to be around kids.
The others were very laid back.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:27 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189

mah lil buddy Beaux hes a year in 2 days...he's a Yellow Lab and he cant wait to hunt...he had Parvos Virus right after i got him about 6 weeks old...and nearly died...they told me he had a 25 percent chance to live..he's a fighter..and i swear till this day that that Parvos knocked all of the bad energy out of him..its like hes the most laid back dog ever and hes supposed to be bad and wild and crazy at this age...hes not..hes calm cool and collective right until its time to get that duck..then he goes nuts...i gotta say he's by far my favorite dog ive ever had..i guess cause im closer to him than i was to our old chocolate lab...we had when i lived wit family...but a yellow lab sure is a good choice..great dogs..
Old 08-29-2009, 12:34 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Red, I trained Labs for 17 years. They're just like people. There's good ones & bad ones, fighters & lovers, hard workers & lazy ones in any color. My preference would be Yellow or Black. I've had some really good Chocalate females & I've seen some good Chocolate Males, but personally you couldn't melt a chocolate male & pour it on me! I've just never had good luck with one. I've had several jam up blacks. Got to hunt in several places that people would kill to go to for free for the use of these dogs. The only reason I would perfer a yellow over a black is the heat in the summer. My labs pretty much stay with me 24/7. They stay in the boat & that summer heat works on my yellow male. Couldnt imagine bringing a black in the boat during the summer. Ask huntin fool about my Lab.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (93.0 KB, 112 views)
Old 08-29-2009, 01:13 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtretrievers View Post
Red, I trained Labs for 17 years. They're just like people. There's good ones & bad ones, fighters & lovers, hard workers & lazy ones in any color. My preference would be Yellow or Black. I've had some really good Chocalate females & I've seen some good Chocolate Males, but personally you couldn't melt a chocolate male & pour it on me! I've just never had good luck with one. I've had several jam up blacks. Got to hunt in several places that people would kill to go to for free for the use of these dogs. The only reason I would perfer a yellow over a black is the heat in the summer. My labs pretty much stay with me 24/7. They stay in the boat & that summer heat works on my yellow male. Couldnt imagine bringing a black in the boat during the summer. Ask huntin fool about my Lab.
Man, that is one fine looking dog.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:30 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

RD, Richard and Jan Meche (BriarMarsh Kennels) have a litter of black puppies forsale now for $650.00 each.

Best bet is to always see what accomplishments the sire and dam have, titles mean the dogs can cut the mustard and should pass along their genetic make up. Look for SH(senior hunter) or MH(master hunter) titles at a minimum on both sire and dam, these are AKC hunt test titles and IMO mean more than UKC titles. Don't get bamboozled by adds talking about championship pedigrees, most people don't have a clue what they are talking about.
I would also make sure you have a written health guarntee(sp) covering genitic defects,CNM and EIC clear, for a minimum of 26 mos. There are plenty of back yard breedings that have F.U. genetics and will cost you plenty money and heartache, spend more get more. $650.00 would be at the bottom of the scale on purchase price but some good deals can be found for around $500.00. Let me know if you need help sorting it out I am on another site daily and can help you look.

Best Regards
Raymond
Old 08-29-2009, 03:27 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Little View Post
RD, Richard and Jan Meche (BriarMarsh Kennels) have a litter of black puppies forsale now for $650.00 each.

Best bet is to always see what accomplishments the sire and dam have, titles mean the dogs can cut the mustard and should pass along their genetic make up. Look for SH(senior hunter) or MH(master hunter) titles at a minimum on both sire and dam, these are AKC hunt test titles and IMO mean more than UKC titles. Don't get bamboozled by adds talking about championship pedigrees, most people don't have a clue what they are talking about.
I would also make sure you have a written health guarntee(sp) covering genitic defects,CNM and EIC clear, for a minimum of 26 mos. There are plenty of back yard breedings that have F.U. genetics and will cost you plenty money and heartache, spend more get more. $650.00 would be at the bottom of the scale on purchase price but some good deals can be found for around $500.00. Let me know if you need help sorting it out I am on another site daily and can help you look.

Best Regards
Raymond
Thanks for the info. A buddy of mine had a black lab that was GHRCH a few times. Maybe you've heard of Vedge's Cool Papa Nixon? Well, he had a few straws pulled and when the time is right and their is a litter, I get the pick. Not sure when that will happen though. I hunted with him and Nixon for years and I will tell you that hunting with a dog that is that well trained is amazing.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:05 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

well..Jeff's dog is awesome hands down...

i have a chocalate female..she is about to be 3 yrs old..is finally calmed down. But she doesn't care too much for strangers to pet her..other than that she is a great dog..Free no papers, and will retriever ALL DAY LONG!

i like yellow and choclate labs myself..
Old 08-29-2009, 05:41 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
Thanks for the info. A buddy of mine had a black lab that was GHRCH a few times. Maybe you've heard of Vedge's Cool Papa Nixon? Well, he had a few straws pulled and when the time is right and their is a litter, I get the pick. Not sure when that will happen though. I hunted with him and Nixon for years and I will tell you that hunting with a dog that is that well trained is amazing.
That is Cody Newman's dog, remember him well from my judging assignments. Mark Hundley from Eunice trained him for Cody years ago, gotta figure + 8yrs easy.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:11 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Little View Post
That is Cody Newman's dog, remember him well from my judging assignments. Mark Hundley from Eunice trained him for Cody years ago, gotta figure + 8yrs easy.
You got it. He's still the same ole Cody.LMAO
Old 08-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 809

I have a yellow male and love him.
His only bad habit is he keeps peeing on my truck rims and I can't stop him. As a matter of fact he pees on everything
Old 08-29-2009, 09:08 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJ View Post
I have a yellow male and love him.
His only bad habit is he keeps peeing on my truck rims and I can't stop him. As a matter of fact he pees on everything

my female lab, tells you when you needs to go outside, walks down stairs, takes care of business then walks straight back up..best dog i've ever had.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:06 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,952

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
Ok guys and gals. I have always loved labs and plan on getting another sometime soon. What's some of ya'lls opinions as far as color, demeanor, size. I personally like yellows.
Get a yellow if that is what you prefer. But, follow Raymonds suggestions. I also have a little experience with training, trialing, and breeding, and I could not agree more with what Raymond said.

BTW, is that Raymond Little? I thought you lived in Opelousas. Anyway, if it is, this is Charlie Freed. How you been?
Old 08-29-2009, 10:16 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducktrickster View Post
Get a yellow if that is what you prefer. But, follow Raymonds suggestions. I also have a little experience with training, trialing, and breeding, and I could not agree more with what Raymond said.

BTW, is that Raymond Little? I thought you lived in Opelousas. Anyway, if it is, this is Charlie Freed. How you been?
Yes Charlie it is me!
Relocated to L.C. 2 years ago from Scott and love being 10 min from the specks. You need to get back into FT's and come train with me over here. Bought a Chopper ***** in March that I hope will be able to play the game.

Best Regards
Raymond
Old 08-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 650
Headknocker Labs

I have had 2 chocolate lab females and they were very smart, very easy for me to train and loved the water. They both died. Then I bought a black lab female that was dumber than a sack of rocks, She died too. I guess I didnt learn my lesson and I bought another black female with 48 field trial champs on both sides, still wasn't smart. Sold her. So quit for a while and got me a yellow male with 50 field trial champs on both sides, Smart smart smart, I love him, he isn't going anywhere. He is 8 months old and is amazing. I also have a charcoal female she is 4 months old and she is smart too. So i dont know what to tell you, different dogs and different colors. Haha. I have had good luck with everything but black labs.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:49 PM
Trophy Trout

I love my labs
Old 08-31-2009, 06:22 AM
Flounder

Its all been said above. Color ain't got nothing to do with it. I have all three colors in my kennels right now. My chocolate is 4 yrs old and will hunt hard all day long. I think she taught me more than I taught her. My yellow male is 3 yrs old and has really turned on the past two hunting seasons. First year, he didn't have much interest. kept working him and all of a sudden it was like a lightbulb went off. Now, he can handle any bird you shoot. I have two black puppies that I'm training right now. Gonna keep one for myself and sell the other. They both are smart dogs and show lots of potential. In fact, we're going to the woods to do some training in a little while. I wouldn't trade any of my dogs for the world. They are with me all the time everywhere I go.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:59 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 600

i guess ill put a lil input in this one since im very very fond of my hunting buddy. i got my dog at the end of the season last year, he is currently 9 months old today. he is a choc. male and is very laid back, but once the kennel is in the back of the truck he knows its business time. he will literally jump over the side of the bed and get in his kennel. this is the first dog i have ever trained and im pretty new into duck hunting, been hunting all my life and started duck hunting last year and at 23 i can say i am more proud of my dog than ever. i been working him all summer for him to be ready for the season and yesterday he proved it to me, he is doing triple marks, blind retrieves on hand signals and on the whistle. everyone told me that a chocolate male would either be hardheaded or not listen. well ill have to say, 7 months of training and he is more than i can ask for. im very pleased to be able to hunt with such a great friend.