SaltyCajun.com lake area banner

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 10-10-2014, 09:11 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 521
Default mud boat

In the market for a mud boat and was hoping to get a few opinions on the different ones. I like the new mud buddy with the reverse option but havent really heard much about them. Do any of yall have any info about them? also would like to hear how yall feel about prodrive and gator tail as well.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:52 AM
Redfish

Cash: 806

I tried them all and prefer the Prodrive. It operates like a tiller handle outboard. Way easier to handle then the gator tail. Reverse is awesome u will come out. In my opinion
Old 10-10-2014, 12:22 PM
Redfish

Cash: 700

Gatortail
All the craw fisherman that had prodrive are now using gatortail
That should tell you something
Old 10-10-2014, 01:10 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,439

Prodrive all the way. Lots of crawfishermen switched because the instant reverse is a lot easier to deal with backing up a lot crawfishing. You can't beat the power of full power reverse. If you hop it up a lil bit it turns into a animal and a more dependable motor as well.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:58 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 617

First of all, what type of conditions will you mainly use it? I.e. Marsh, thick veggies, stumps, etc? Do you want tiller or center console? Does speed matter?
Old 10-14-2014, 11:53 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Prodrive all the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk mmm
Old 10-14-2014, 11:56 AM
Sand Trout

I would mostly use it for wax lake and a couple trips to the basin evry now and then. i defenitly want a tiller handle I relly like mud buddys new gear driven design. and speed isnt a huge factor but id like to go atleast 25-26 mph with a hunting load.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:25 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

That kind of speed with a load is def attainable with a stock engine and the right prop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk mmm
Old 10-14-2014, 12:52 PM
Sand Trout

First off the thing about the wax is that nothing works in the sand other than an airboat..

Problem with the new mud buddy is that they haven't been proven yet. The Sport V models that were released had all sorts of issues with castings cracking and lower units leaking oil. So much that they've discontinued the V model, and they have now sold the Sport H design to Boss Drives out of Sulpher LA. Moral to that story is I would stay away from the Mud Buddy/Boss Drives models for a few years at least.

You definitely want reverse. I've previously owned a Go Devil Surface drive and a Pro Drive, but I currently own a Gator Tail. I've run my rigs in all conditions, and I can tell you I won't go back to a Pro Drive. The GTR has far exceeded my expectations in all aspects of performance.

That's my 2 cents..take it for what it's worth.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:26 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 834

Discontinued the MB Sport V? Website still has it listed as part of their lineup.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:15 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 838

I've used them all for duck hunting guide service and saltwater guide service. I have two a single and dual and both with mud buddy with no reverse.. You don't have to have reverse no ones reverse is great they are ok but learn to drive then and you don't need it..
As rough as saltwater and cypress swamps are on Mudmotors I have never had mechanical issues with my mid buddies besides minor small switches.. All my motors are the high performance 55's.. I've had two gator tails catch on fire, prodrives that hydraulics went out.. I know people who love both them motors but not for me and what I use them for

both my boats are CC but for the duck lodge boats are all tillers...

I would suggest ask people who hve the different brands to bring you out in them and drive them...

Sent from the baddest GYM in La
Old 10-14-2014, 08:44 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullrutt View Post

I would suggest ask people who hve the different brands to bring you out in them and drive them...

This is the best advice you can get!
Old 10-14-2014, 10:54 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 890
Default gatortail

Might as well get you a gatortail the first time, because you will never be satisfied till you sell whatever you buy then get one. Been proven in the past.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:05 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

I have a prodrive and love it. I've had a mud buddy hyper sport and it was ok but it didn't have reverse or neutral which made it cumbersome. Have a couple of friends that have hyper drives (with neutral) and they've been good motors. One of them got the mud buddy sport v, and it's been nothing but trouble. Runs great when it runs, buts been one thing after another. Have a couple of other buddies with gator tails and they like them. Don't let anyone talk you out of reverse. I don't care who you are or how much you "learn to drive", reverse is a must. I have the manual reverse on my prodrive with a reverse pin puller installed. I plan on getting another prodrive later down the road and plan on getting the same set up.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:56 PM
Redfish

Cash: 705

I have run a Mud Buddy HD Sport on a gatortrax boat for 6 years. The power trim went out the second year and had it replaced with a Mercury power trim. No more problems with that. One relay went out 2 years ago, replaced that. No other problems. I do not have a reverse but I work around that, although there are times that I wish I had one. The only upgrades to the motor that I have made is the addition of a Mikuni carburetor and stainless dual exhausts. I change the plugs once a year and the oil and oil filter every 15 hours. It works for me, I have friends who use Pro-Drive and love them. I plan to look at the Boss Drives in the next few years. You have received some good advice from people who own them all. Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:21 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,439

Where u located I'd be willing to let u come drive my stage 2 PRO-DRIVE to get a feel of one of one of ur options.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:54 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 921

if you are serious about hunting the wax, and don't have a camp/houseboat, you are way better off with a 90 or 115 tiller handle outboard and a good jackplate.
that 20 mile run in the dark gets old running 20mph.

if u have the balls to run it, a well setup outboard will run real skinny water.

i have hunted the wax since the 3 duck years, i started off in a 14' joboat with a 40.
even though i have a 20' skiff with a prodrive, i still ended up using my 20' hanko style alum boat with the 200 merc and a good pirouge to hunt the wax. the windshield does wonders. lol

btw, opinions are just that, demo rides are free.

good luck with whatever u get.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:46 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

jopete is giving good advice. With the way people are running mudmotors all over public land the only way to get away from the crowds is with a pirouge now. I have several blinds set up in pot holes that are only accessable by pirouge and that is where I will be while all the other guy's are running around pushing ducks to me.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:21 PM
Sand Trout

Thanks for all the opinions guys i really appreciate all the aaadvice yall have gave me. ill continue to do a little research on them and let yall know what my decision is.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:50 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 720
Default Mud Motor

Noticed you location is New Iberrie', why would you choose a motor out of Utah when you have two of the best in your backyard? Just wondering.