SaltyCajun.com lake Area Marine

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 06-25-2018, 12:10 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 367
Default Trout in decline?

I've fished Calcasieu Lake for most of my adult life. I sort of took a break in 2013 up until last year. It seems to me that the numbers have declined as well as the size. what gives? it seems the days of drifting a reef until you find a school are over. One or two schoolies seems to be the reward. Very concerned, comments please.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:00 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,970

I have not fished much this year but have been hearing similar reports esp the size of trout being caught major decline.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:55 PM
Flounder

Cash: 434

i agree, and i fish a lot. This is the worst year i have ever seen
Old 06-25-2018, 03:03 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 417

I don't live there anymore. But head down to fish as much as i can. Usually 10-15 days a year.

I have noticed the same. Used to could pick any oysters pads or reefs, drift across jigging with some cocahoe sometimes tip with shrimp, and catch easy limits.

Hit any cut or point for reds. Last two years i feel the fishing has gotten tougher every trip. Beat the marsh to death this weekend with every bait in the book for two reds and 3 flounder.

Haven't caught a speck since november on big lake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 06-25-2018, 04:17 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,226

Fished BL for over 30 years. There is NO comparison from then to now. Not even close. Heck 10 years ago anyone could go out on a good weather day to Commissary or Long Point and come back with a nice mess of fish.

IMO, destruction of oyster reefs and the washing out of the ship channel are the main causes for trout decline.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:07 PM
Redfish

Cash: 864

Reefman, I agree with you but I also feel that there is so much more fishing pressure on these fish!!
Old 06-25-2018, 05:35 PM
Flounder

Cash: 485

Here?s my input on BL. Me and the wife have been fishing BL for 25 years. We use to catch 3 to 4 pound trout under birds but that was only in the fall. You just didn?t see birds in the summer. Now, you see birds all year long but only little dinks are under them. Question is what has changed? More weirs? More fisherman? A change in limit from 25 to 15? That certainly would lead to more smaller fish I would think. IDK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2018, 06:41 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

too many guides
Old 06-26-2018, 07:16 AM
Redfish

Cash: 864

As long as people are willing to pay, there will be guides. With the downturn in oil, I know a few people who went back to work.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:50 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 367

well, we were able to get sportsman status on trout and redfish, so the nettters are gone. The limits have been cut back and the slot is in force. So there should be plenty of fish. How many guides are on the lake on a given day? Do we have any assessment numbers to go by? Is CCA monitoring the trout stock? How many fish is just one guide boat taking per week while most of us are at work? I think there's something amiss. I don't even hear the quote "You should have been here yesterday" any more! I believe our Trout are in trouble and no one seems to care.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:02 AM
Flounder

Cash: 703

I know there were not obvious signs of a fish kill this winter during hard freeze but maybe a lot of trout did die and sank to bottom. The fishing this year has dramatically declined.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:14 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 632

Agree too many guides with cell phones take the rod out of the guides hands license guides and limit the # of days they can fish
Old 06-26-2018, 09:06 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

I hardly even trout fish anymore. Used to go at least 3-4 times per month. In the last 10 years, I've mainly only targeted big fish when I go. I would say from 2005/2006 to 2013/2014, I either saw someone else catch or caught myself say 75-100 fish over 5 pounds. Lot's of 7+ as well. And we would release them all. In the last 3-4 years, I've probably only seen less than 5-6. Now that's drastic. Granted, I hardly fish as much as I used to but it's mainly due to the drastic decrease is fish size. Dinks just don't do it for me, so if the big girls aren't biting, I am staying at the house.

November to May used to be awesome. Now I just do more duck, deer, and turkey hunting.

In my opinion, I don't really think guides are making a huge difference. Heck I see they struggle nowadays just to hit a 5 pounder. I would say silt on reefs along the channel, oyster dredging, the weirs are all major factors.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:47 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Prolly all getting chopped up from all the props runnin all over the lake.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:55 PM
Ling

Cash: 5,523

Specktator is right! It wasn?t nothing to go out on BL and smash good solid trout during the week! The lake has been on a constant decline for a few years now! I Went from fishing BL 3 to 5 times a month to maybe 2 to 3 times a year now.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:54 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayBolt23 View Post
Specktator is right! It wasn?t nothing to go out on BL and smash good solid trout during the week! The lake has been on a constant decline for a few years now! I Went from fishing BL 3 to 5 times a month to maybe 2 to 3 times a year now.

I quit all together but more because of all the retards on the lake than the fishing.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:55 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 253

Similar story for Sabine. Very few trout to be found. Fishing pressure certainly has an impact, but for both lakes to have same problem I tend to think Harvey or the freeze had something to do with it. I've been on Sabine a few times with perfect conditions with bait everywhere and couldn't buy a trout. Very tough year thus far.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2018, 03:46 PM
Flounder

Cash: 621

I agree the trout population is in decline and I think it is probably due to all of the reasons that were listed.

I think oyster dredging played a big part. Tonging and dredging are two different animals. The dredging not only removes the oysters, it silts over the reefs. Thank god that has been stopped. But now my understanding is the high salinity from the ship channel is going to make it tough for oyster reefs to recover.

Excessive fishing pressure from trophy fisherman played a part in removing the bigger sow trout. The 2 fish over 25" rule was too late coming. Guides in particular, because they were more proficient at targeting and staying on big fish, put clients on sow after sow.

The growing numbers of fishermen, armed with GPS coordinates, is another factor.

I'm not too sure about a die off from a freeze theory. Big Lake has never been overly susceptible to freeze kills because the ship channel gives the fish quick access to deep water. But who knows.

I even wonder about the redfish population. There's no shortage of reds for sure. Could they be hurting the trout population? I've found lots of little trout in the stomachs of redfish.

Bottom line, once the population is in decline, it isn't easy to get it to come back without some serious intervention. Either by man or by nature.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:13 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

Rock off wash out, leave a few 20-30 yards cuts and the old river, get rid of weirs and levee letting the marsh do it's thing, and continue ban on oyster dredging and lake will get better in a few years regardless of pressure. To much politics though. That marsh being cut off is IMO very detrimental, as is the influx of silt and salt water through washout. Regardless of the weirs and levee, when a storm puts 8 ft of salt on that marsh it's all going to die and erode anyway just like it has been for thousands of years. But guess what, just like it has been for thousands of years, it will cycle, we'll have long periods without a storm, and the marsh will come back. Can't mess with mother nature and expect no consequences.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:51 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,225

While I agree with most that the declining geologic and hydrologic health of the Calcasieu estuary (due to several notable factors, some of which Noodle mentioned) is directly affecting its biologic health, I thought I’d shed some positivity on this thread.

Personally, from late spring of 2017 (after the heavy rains) all the way through early winter of 2018, I experienced more consistent numbers of trout, and larger ones at that, than I?ve experienced in the past decade of fishing Big Lake on a regular basis. Most notably, during the summer of 2017, I boated higher numbers of trout and I also caught much larger trout than I have ever boated during the summer time throughout my lifetime of fishing Big Lake. It was very encouraging for me to see. Winter 2017 was by far the best, and easiest, winter I?ve had to date. I also caught my personal best trout during this timeframe (8+ lbs) while seeing plenty of 5-7 lb fish on a regular basis. That said, I had very high hopes for 2018. Things seemed to shut down after the big spring rains that we had, and really only got right for a couple of weeks in early May. I agree that it has been a noticeably slow year of trout fishing since then.

As I said before, I do agree that there are certain factors at play, mainly the ones being escalated by humans, that are negatively affecting Big Lake, but I also agree that some years are just plain bad fishing years. Big Lake productivity cycles. I can’t offer any scientific explanation as to why, but I‘ve certainly observed it throughout my lifetime of fishing the Calcasieu estuary. I have had this discussion with guides that have been fishing this lake much longer than I, and are much more credible than I, and they have observed the same cyclic periods that I have. Sabine Lake works the same way - some years the fish are jumping in the boat, and other years it?s just plain tough.

Sure, there are plenty of things that can be done to positively influence Big Lake?s physical habitat, thereby promoting the biological prosperity that we knew before boats were constantly running around giving trout haircuts all day long. But don?t forget - sometimes Mother Nature decides to make the fishing suck and we just have to play by her rules until she changes her mind again.