SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:51 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,851
Default question for the camper owners

Wife is wanting to get a camper. I'm thinking a bunkhouse due to 2 little ones, which is why I'm looking at a camper instead of tent camping. My plan is buying a second hand cheaper one and if we actually use it I'll upgrade at a later date. What are y'alls suggestions? What are must haves vs don't gets? And I'm definitely staying away from the Fema models. Definitely looking at getting one with a slide.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:56 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Bathroom size!!!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2012, 04:15 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,142

Storage, storage, storage..... And remeber when they get older kids will each want to bring a friend along, so bunkhouse is nice. I didn't get a bunk house because I lived in mine for a while and needed more room. I know a camper salesman if you want his contact info let me know, he may have some leads on used ones.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:32 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,245

With the kids go for the bunk house. If you truck can pull it go for two slides one for the living one for the bunks. Bathroom size is very important the one in my camper is to small most of the time I take a shower in the bath house. YUCK The best thing you can do is buy used. We bought new and I regret it we just don’t use it enough to justify it. I plan on bringing it to cocodrie or montegut this summer and use it as a camp.
One of my favorite floor plans is the Wildcat fifth wheel bunk house. It is a 32' fith wheel with the bunks in the front. It has two slides and plenty of room full bath room and a half up front.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:51 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,044

Contact geralddct on this site. He has a pretty new on that I bet he would sale you. I'm not sure how long it is but it has a slide and bunk beds.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Flounder

Cash: 683

I had an RV repair shop and I can tell you one thing, NONE of them are well made. With the exception of Airstream. Keep a VERY close eye on the roof and keep the frig plugged in 24/7. A new frig will cost you over a thousand dollars. Leaks will kill a camper before you realize it is even leaking. This stuff can be your saviour (LAP SEAL TUBE SELF LEVELING - WHITE) it goes around everything that comes out of your roof. Don't let trash like leaves and pine needles stay on the roof. Good luck !
Old 01-30-2012, 07:51 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 714

BATHROOM!!!! Mine has a good size but I once stayed with a friend out of town working and I had to put my feet in the shower to take a dump! Also storage is very important especially with kids. Bunk house is sweet! The only thing I wish I had now is the outside living. My friend has one with a big compartment that opens up and there is a sink, fridge, stove, and tv outside! Sweet!
Old 01-30-2012, 07:57 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,319

Shawn, new truck or pulling with your current one?

Some of the newer campers have a bath and a half. Great for kids and friends. How long you plan on keeping before upgrading?

I would definately go with a bunkhouse.

Holla man. Come let Bridgette look at mine.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:11 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

this may get shot down by all the camper owners but I lean towards wanting a toyhauler style. I like these over the standard models and bunk house because you can haul bikes or atvs inside and you still have the beds like a bunkhouse or if you get one with the garage in back its like having a two room trailer. I also think that for a younger family with kids and a guy that hunts the toyhauler would be easier to clean inside since they have all hard floors.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:13 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,142

As you can see by the comments, get ready to get your mind blown when you do start looking. There are so many features and floor plans you'll just pay for the one she likes so you don't have to see another one!!!!
Old 01-30-2012, 09:51 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864

what is your budget?
Old 01-30-2012, 09:57 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

This should get good when he starts shopping.. hehehehe.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:25 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

Shawn, I type this because I like you!!!! Their is a saying about the two best days in buying a boat, "the day you pick it up and the day you sell it". Take that and multiply by 500000000000!!!!

I just got out of a 5th wheel we purchased in 2006. Had it not been for an insurance claim on the first one, I would have lost my a$$! With that said, if you really "need" to get one, go USED!!!! They have a ton of used ones that are really in "new" condition. Also, make sure you have a good covered spot to store it in. In the end, we could have rented a camp in Grand Isle for 2 months every summer for what we lost on this one and we now own a brick home on 2 acres in Mississippi for a hunting camp for a fraction of what the camper cost new!!!! Just a thought.........rent a camo when she is ready to go "camping"!
Old 01-30-2012, 10:48 PM
Redfish

Cash: 888

some of the fema trailers or brand new and do have a slidee... the one at the old racetrack i see.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:01 AM
Ling

ok let me see if I can answer everyone in one post. As far as FFF, I will be buying used, It will definitely be a bumper pull. I have actually had the discussion of just renting cabins where we would camp but the kicker to that is that most of our camping would be within a few weeks notice and a lot of the places we go book their cabins up a lot sooner. Thats why in the past we tent camped. Jude I will be using my truck so looking at a 30' or less, possibly aluminum framed. I have been tossing the idea around of getting a bunkhouse model without the slide for a year or two as a trial run to see how much we will actually use it. I have seen these going for 6000 and less. Then if we use it enough step up to a more suitable floor plan with a super slide. My only concern is selling it down the road. I think it would be easier to sell one with a slide and I've been seeing some nice bunkhouse models with slides for under 10k all day long. I guess what I'm getting at is my budget will definitely be under 10k. One question however, I always hear cover them because the sun will kill them. How well do the car cover style covers protect them? I ask because if I go with one for a trial run only then I wouldn't build a permanent cover for it yet. And thanks again for all the comments
Old 01-31-2012, 11:32 AM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,319

The newer campers are not as bad as the older ones as far as covering. Clean and treat the roof regularly, 2 times a year, and should be no problems. If you do decide you want one long term, then build something for it.

Be aware of your towing capacity on your truck when you start shopping. I would definately get one with a slide. You are correct on reselling it and it makes a huge difference in room. If you are stuck in the camper for the day with the kids because of weather, you will definately appreciate the difference in room.

A bunkhouse will give you extra storage now, as small as your kids are. If you decide you want to camp regularly, then start looking for something long term.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:43 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,065
Default go far it

best thing i ever bought!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (57.2 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (65.3 KB, 209 views)
Old 01-31-2012, 05:29 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,628

Shawn, I have a camper that I was thinking about selling and saw your question. It is a Coachman Catalina. Has two bunks for the kids. I bought it from my brother who bought it brand new in 2000. I have it parked at a campground in MS near my deer lease. I did not get on the lease this year and am going to sell my camper. The camper has never been hauled except from the dealer to my brothers lease and then to my lease. 30' Long and the Canopy is 28' Long which is the longest I have seen. It is a bumper pull not a fifth wheel. Big slide out. Not sure how much its worth. PM me if you are interested.EC
Old 01-31-2012, 06:53 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

If you get a camper..... I bet there will be another Braquet added to the bunch.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:44 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin fool View Post
If you get a camper..... I bet there will be another Braquet added to the bunch.
I wouldnt bet on it