SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 08-24-2009, 07:42 PM
Redfish

Cash: 699
Default Boat trailer problems

I have an aluminum magic tilt trailer and it is eating up the outside edges of the tires, does anyone else have this problem are know of a good place around Lake Charles that works on boat trailers. It looks like the wheels are towing inwards.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:52 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

Clarks Spring Service in Sulphur. Not sure about Lake Charles.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:20 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 650

maybe not enough tongue weight,how big is your boat, your tongue weight should be about 1/7th the gross weight of the boat, maybe too much tongue weight, maybe you need a tandem axle trailer, tire preasure? maybe you left the plug in and the boats full of water wearing the tires. lol
Old 08-24-2009, 09:21 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 650

or maybe its a 1/5 you might wanna check into that
Old 08-25-2009, 05:57 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahosaphet View Post
maybe not enough tongue weight,how big is your boat, your tongue weight should be about 1/7th the gross weight of the boat, maybe too much tongue weight, maybe you need a tandem axle trailer, tire preasure? maybe you left the plug in and the boats full of water wearing the tires. lol
Will check this out, it is a 20' bluewave and this is the trailer it came with new, yes I wish it would have been a tandem trailer. Bought it from an old lady, her husband had only used it a couple of times before he died so the tires were brand new and couldn't tell this when I bought it. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:01 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

bearings ?? that was my problem... except it was outside of tired wearing down, i got a tandem and i thought it was from jumping curbs, but i got to looking and they were bowed outward (wearing the outside of the tire down)... i bought new ones and installed them myself... took all of about 5 hours and bought bearing buddies also for the axles and never looked back since then !!!
Old 08-27-2009, 02:22 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
bearings ?? that was my problem... except it was outside of tired wearing down, i got a tandem and i thought it was from jumping curbs, but i got to looking and they were bowed outward (wearing the outside of the tire down)... i bought new ones and installed them myself... took all of about 5 hours and bought bearing buddies also for the axles and never looked back since then !!!
The outside of my tires are wearing as well. I don't have a tandem trailer but, my bearings seem to be in good shape...I check and grease them regularly.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
The outside of my tires are wearing as well. I don't have a tandem trailer but, my bearings seem to be in good shape...I check and grease them regularly.
Would check the axle alignment, most of our trailers axles are secured with U- bolts that can bend and shift over time. Ever seen a truck with a bent frame going down the road and look at the tires?? I do not know how you would check the alignment but a trailer sales place could tell you.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
Clarks Spring Service in Sulphur. Not sure about Lake Charles.
Thanks for the info Ray, finally made it to Clark's, nothing wrong with axel just cheap bias ply tires from factory. This guy has good prices on tires and about anything else you need for your trailers, he also said you need to balance your trailer tires to extend the life on them because 9 out 10 from the factory are not balanced.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,258

I have that problem too on my tandem axle,but its just one tire on the right side. Replaced it with a good quality trailer tire and its doing it again. Might have a bent spindle or axle or somthing. It did fall off of the edge of the boat ramp at Dularge one time.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Mine are wearing on the inside..............To much boat for the trailer unfortunatly..............Plus, bad axle design..........Hope good radials will help.........
Old 03-05-2010, 09:46 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
Mine are wearing on the inside..............To much boat for the trailer unfortunatly..............Plus, bad axle design..........Hope good radials will help.........
New #3500 pound axle bout $120. Better than buying tires every year!
Old 03-05-2010, 10:53 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Independent suspension on mine........bad design, can't handle weight, gotta buy a whole trailer. I could change the axles, buT it'll happen again....
Old 03-06-2010, 02:33 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Had same problem. I changed out the U bolts on the Axel. Haven't had prob since. I also have single Axel when I should have tandem.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellalilyslicker View Post
Thanks for the info Ray, finally made it to Clark's, nothing wrong with axel just cheap bias ply tires from factory. This guy has good prices on tires and about anything else you need for your trailers, he also said you need to balance your trailer tires to extend the life on them because 9 out 10 from the factory are not balanced.
I used Clarks for 2 different boat trailers, springs on my old Jeep, rear springs on a 3/4 ton Dodge.
One of the boat trailers had a lot of work due to it being thrown around in Creole for Rita. They are factory service repairs for several different brands of boat trailers.