SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 05-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

And I can't wait for October either! Mule deer/antelope trip 1st-6th! Sucks I gotta miss opening weekend for whitetail though. I see more trophy bucks on that opening weekend than any other time of year!
Old 05-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
Yeh I wouldn't take a shot on a deer over 40 yards with my stick a string. I'm just saying it was impressive. I'm trying to get one with a recurve. My buddy killed one with his this past year.
I have yet to kill one with a bow. Just started last year but I am trying to sell my rifle and will be just bow hunting this year. I can't wait for the season to start!!! There is nothing like either being in the woods or a woman!(Or both)
Old 05-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

[QUOTE=Is it October YET?;148935]I have yet to kill one with a bow. Just started last year but I am trying to sell my rifle and will be just bow hunting this year. I can't wait for the season to start!!! There is nothing like either being in the woods or a woman!(Or both)[/QUOTE]

At the same time? Just watch out for the briars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-06-2010, 03:14 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Is it October YET? View Post
I have yet to kill one with a bow. Just started last year but I am trying to sell my rifle and will be just bow hunting this year. I can't wait for the season to start!!! There is nothing like either being in the woods or a woman!(Or both)
LMAO! Yeh buddy no feeling like sticking one with that bow. My first deer was with a bow. I was 8 yrs old and could barely pull back the minimum 30lb draw weight. I have probably killed 10 or so with my bow. I am a big duck hunter so really the only deer hunting I do is with my bow in oct and I go to Texas few times a year during rifle.

And correction on saying my buddy had a Maxxis. It is a TurboHawk. He said it's a sweet bow but he can't ever get the same grip on it!
Old 05-06-2010, 03:22 PM
Banned

[quote=wtretrievers;148939]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Is it October YET? View Post
I have yet to kill one with a bow. Just started last year but I am trying to sell my rifle and will be just bow hunting this year. I can't wait for the season to start!!! There is nothing like either being in the woods or a woman!(Or both)[/QUOTE]

At the same time? Just watch out for the briars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4x6x6 box stand my good man. She was getting bored and it was her first time in deer hunting. Only problem is now she wants to come to the camp more. I had to build a replica in the backyard.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Flounder

Cash: 619

I've hunted out of a lot of stands before, but a summit viper, I can sit from daylight to dark and not have a problem...It's not to heavy and its stable in the tree, especially if you like to go high and have to adjust the stand as you get higher...I can't say much on the bows, I bought an older Mathews Ultramax and its just gathering dust.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Flounder

Cash: 618

Ol man ...............aint nothing better
Old 06-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

My opinion of Tree stands.....

Most of the top end stands are very similar and well made.......Weight ~ 20 lbs, easy to put on a tree, climb about the same, and are sturdy.

One of the major difference is the seat. IMO.....the chair type seat is the most comfortable. I have had a Summit XL for ~7 years and love the seat. Mine was made the year that they made an air inflated type seat and back rest. It takes an extra minute to blow up the seat and back rest. The foam cushion seats are also very good.

I have never used the mesh netting type seat......but can't see where they would be confortable for long sits.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wackin n stakin View Post
Ol man ...............aint nothing better
Where I hunt it is alot of oak trees that I climb. The ol man's I have, have rubber hoses that go around tree. I can't ever get a solid bite. The only stand I have ever had trouble with is an ol man. They are dangerous IMO. I would
not recommend one to anyone.